The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

Dear Jazzers,

It's been a while I wanted to get a Super 400 CES in natural colour, and at a reasonable price. It's not so easy since they are quite rare birds here in Europe. Finally, I could spot that one in Spain. It was built in 1980, still in very good shape except that the pickguard and the original bridge were missing. Now this has been fixed and I must say that I am in heaven.

Surprinsingly, compared to other S400 CES that I could try over the years it has a very opened and airy sound. The playability is great although I am not a giant (5'9") and the neck is perfect. Also, the original knobs were black witch hats which I do not like very much. I've changed them for reflektor knobs. Another great guitar from the Norlin era

Gibson Super 400 CESN - That Old Feeling-img_6149-copie-jpgGibson Super 400 CESN - That Old Feeling-img_6155-copie-jpg

Here is a demo I have recorded this morning:

I hope you'll like the sound of it.

Best and take care.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Fred: congratulations. A very nice guitar, and nice playing. I have a Norlin era L5-CESN and I agree that Gibson produced some really fine archtops during that time. The neck on my L5 is perfect too. Enjoy your new guitar.
    Keith

User Info Menu

A huge Congrats Fred. That S400 is in the right hands now.
    Do enjoy.

User Info Menu

Sounds like it just pushes the notes out in even and smooth way. I believe you got a winner and of course your chops help keep the sound in the realm of great.

User Info Menu

Congrats on a fine addition to your collection. Great playing as always. May she inspire your playing for many years to come.

User Info Menu

Beautiful guitar! Beautiful playing! Congratulations!

User Info Menu

Suddenly everything feels right about the world. It’s become crazy these last few years, but for five minutes there everything felt just right. That old feeling is back!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

As always, a very tasteful interpretation! Thanks for posting, Fred, and hope you get a lot of enjoyment from your Super 400!

User Info Menu

That's a great looking and sounding S400.

I love the tune "That Old Feeling". Others have done it more, um, sadly I suppose, less swing.

Here's the version from Jane Froman in the early '50s. It was popular and had a different presence. Jane was a popular performer during World War II. She performed for the troops overseas with the USO. Her plane crashed in 1943. She survived with serious injuries and minus a leg. She continued to perform after that. This recording, as is the Super 400, is like a time machine. Both the Norlin era and World War II evoke emotions. Some of my best Gibsons came from that Norlin period. And of course there are the baby boomers.

User Info Menu

Congrats on the S400. While we’re at it…

User Info Menu

Dear Jazzers,

Thanks for your positive comments!

And while we are at it, here is a take that I praise.

Equaly good as the one by Anita O'Day.

Best and take care.

User Info Menu

Just scrumptious! Beautiful guitar, beautiful tune, beautiful playing! Thank you!

User Info Menu

Wow! Just wow!
    What a beautiful sound, and playing too. Thank you for sharing and enjoy that baby!
    jk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Archtop
    Dear Jazzers,

Thanks for your positive comments!

And while we are at it, here is a take that I praise.

Equaly good as the one by Anita O'Day.

Best and take care.

the definitive version, imo
    nice playing and glad you got the guitar restored Fred.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    nice playing and glad you got the guitar restored Fred.
    Thanks for having helped Winter

Beautiful Fred! Congrats, HNGD and play her in good health!

User Info Menu

Absolutely wonderful playing (and S400)

User Info Menu

Congrats, Fred, beautiful guitar and nice playing!
    Too bad these Super 400 seem not to like me, feel so uncomfortable with them...

User Info Menu

Fred, looks and sounds great!

It's pretty much the only Jazz guitar I've never come across in the UK.

Well done you.

User Info Menu

Fred,
    Congratulations! Super nice!
    Both the guitar and your playing!
    That's a beauty. I really enjoyed the YT!