The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I bought a Gitane D-255 a year or two ago that I'm quite satisfied with. It's a fun guitar ...

Now a few days ago a Gitane D-500 came up for sale locally .. It's still more than an hour from me, so not around the corner, but I'm curious about it.

Can any of you enlighten me, if looking into the D500 makes sense? .. I can see that it has a shorter scale length, which might be nice, but apart from that I have no idea if having both would make sense?

D-500

D-255

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

I'd say save up for something nicer. The D500s are nice, they are pretty loud and many people really like them. The many I've played (and owned) I found rather "boomy" and full of sympathetic ringing. I wouldn't pick one up if I already had another Gitane.

Check out the Altimiras and Eastmans. That's what I'd be looking at for an upgrade. But it all depends on what floats your boat...

User Info Menu

I have a D500. It's a different voice and feel from a 255 (oval vs D soundhole, long vs short scale). I tried both, but went with the 500 because it can function more like a general purpose acoustic guitar (with a slightly different flavor) and not just as a GJ specialty/niche guitar. I don't actually play any gypsy jazz, so it's more usable for what I do play, e.g., it works well in a duo with a nylon string.

User Info Menu

I have owned both of those Gitane models and can say that they are quite different. Scale length, neck size and sound are different. For their price point, they are very good guitars with volume that exceeds many far more expensive Gypsy jazz guitars. That said, a good handmade Selmer style guitar will quickly reveal a Gitane's shortcomings when played side by side.

At the time I owned these guitars, they sold used in the 400-500 dollar range here in the USA. I found that the frets wore very fast on these guitars and did not want to spend 350 dollars (the going price here in the Bay Area) on a fret job on a 400 dollar guitar, so off they went once the fret wear was noticeable. I also had the all maple DG-250M and the DG-300 (John Jorgensen oval hole model). I did not like the fat neck on the DG-300 and found the tone on the DG-250M to be too harsh.

Of the 4 that I owned, the DG-255 was the best of the bunch. The D hole lacked the cut for acoustic Gypsy jazz lead playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    I have owned both of those Gitane models and can say that they are quite different. Scale length, neck size and sound are different. For their price point, they are very good guitars with volume that exceeds many far more expensive Gypsy jazz guitars. That said, a good handmade Selmer style guitar will quickly reveal a Gitane's shortcomings when played side by side.

At the time I owned these guitars, they sold used in the 400-500 dollar range here in the USA. I found that the frets wore very fast on these guitars and did not want to spend 350 dollars (the going price here in the Bay Area) on a fret job on a 400 dollar guitar, so off they went once the fret wear was noticeable. I also had the all maple DG-250M and the DG-300 (John Jorgensen oval hole model). I did not like the fat neck on the DG-300 and found the tone on the DG-250M to be too harsh.

Of the 4 that I owned, the DG-255 was the best of the bunch. The D hole lacked the cut for acoustic Gypsy jazz lead playing.
    D500's go for around a grand now (I paid $650 for mine, which was new, but a floor model that had been on display for a long time, so discounted). I've only had mine for about a year and half, but will keep an eye out for fret wear (so far, seems OK).

User Info Menu

The D hole guitars are cool...as mentioned, they're much more versatile, and they have a nice, compact feel. The necks can feel a bit like a classical...wide, flattish.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Indeed ... The frets on my dg-255 are pretty worn .. I bought it used (and fairly cheap), so just assumed it had been very much loved by a previous user .. but maybe not?

A high end Selmer would be hard to find around these parts .. I think I've seen one on sale used during the last 5 years and GJ is too niche for any shops to cater to that audience above the Gitanes.

Anyways .. The D500 is for sale used at half price of new, which is fairly fair ... But yeah .. Maybe I should just get a flat top? ... I think is just need to simmer .. Thanks SS!
    All 4 Gitanes that I owned were made prior to 2010. It is possible that the newer ones have more durable fretwire, but those old ones had very soft frets for sure. I have never had other guitars where the frets wore so fast.