The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

Was wondering if you good folks had any insight or experience with these 2 amps and could compare them. I currently own the DV Mark LJ and was thinking of "upgrading" to the Quilter.

Any thoughts or insights welcome. Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hey DM,
    I've owned DV and have a student with that Quilter, so I'm familiar with both ...
    What do you "want" that you are trying to upgrade (since there may be other options)?

Marc

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Hey DM,
    I've owned DV and have a student with that Quilter, so I'm familiar with both ...
    What do you "want" that you are trying to upgrade (since there may be other options)?

Marc
    Hey Marc,

It seems like the Quilter has more options sound wise and is maybe a little warmer? That's appealing to me. I dont need headroom as it's for home playing.

User Info Menu

Rather obvious case of GAS. Try some herbal tea, calm down, and it will pass. Or not.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Rather obvious case of GAS. Try some herbal tea, calm down, and it will pass. Or not.
    I'm afraid we are past antacids, etc.etc

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    Was wondering if you good folks had any insight or experience with these 2 amps and could compare them. I currently own the DV Mark LJ and was thinking of "upgrading" to the Quilter.

Any thoughts or insights welcome. Thanks!
    What is it you find lacking about the LJ?

I've been happy with mine. But, I also think about upgrading every time I hear another player sound good with something else.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    It seems like the Quilter has more options sound wise and is maybe a little warmer?
    It has more options sound wise and will get louder. We all seem to define warmth differently, so it’s hard to communicate the concept objectively. To me, both my Little Jazz and my 12” Jazz Mark sound pretty warm, especially with my archtops and my 7 string flattop. The 12” and the Vibrolux sit next to each other on stage, so I’ve compared them to each other and to Quilters brought by others using the same guitars. With my Ibanez AF207, the Quilters aren’t quite as fat as the Vibrolux or the Mark.

For the first time, I played my LP through the 12” Mark at last night’s gig and was surprised at how thin it sounded to me despite an EMG at the neck. We decided to do funkier versions of a few classics, so I ran the Paul through my Rocket Touch pedal for a hint of Dumbleness. I usually use the pedal through the Vibrolux and didn’t bother to play with the settings, so it was probably my fault. But if I had a Quilter, I wouldn’t have needed the pedal at all. I do think that Miles would have approved of my tone, though - we did So What as it might have sounded on Bitches Brew. Both the band and the audience loved it!

I’ve played through both 8” and 12” Quilters and liked them a lot. It wasn’t hard to find EQ settings that made me happy. But (unlike the Vibrolux) I wouldn’t describe either the Marks or the Quilters as inherently warmer or richer in sound quality. I can definitely describe the Quilters as being a lot more expensive. As there was no difference to justify the cost of Quilter, I went DV Mark. But I may yet end up with a Quilter too

User Info Menu

Error. Please delete..

User Info Menu

Surely the DV mark is a one trick pony vs the quilter with its versatility? That would account for a large part of the price difference?

If you are not looking for versatility and only the single basic clean tone then there are probably simpler amps out there to compare against.

there must be more to the Quilter Mach2’s price than versatility though. Versatility would pitch the Quilter against a Katana or a Line6 spider. Both also a lot cheaper than the Quilter. Possibly production volumes?

User Info Menu

Hello,

I am very interested in the QUILTER MICROPRO MACH 2 (Combo 8 or eventually head) . I only play in my room, at reasonable volume, and that's why I'm looking for an amp that does not generate background noise, especially during silences.
    Can anyone tell me if the QUILTER MICROPRO MACH 2 combo 8 produces it, even without plugging in a guitar ?
    Thank you in advance
    Pat.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wapacif
    Hello,

I am very interested in the QUILTER MICROPRO MACH 2 (Combo 8 or eventually head) . I only play in my room, at reasonable volume, and that's why I'm looking for an amp that does not generate background noise, especially during silences.
    Can anyone tell me if the QUILTER MICROPRO MACH 2 combo 8 produces it, even without plugging in a guitar ?
    Thank you in advance
    Pat.
    I have a mach 2 combo (8 inch). Unplugged, everything at 0, it's got a small amount of directional hiss. It's less than the hiss in my Princeton which is generally regarded as a very quiet amp.

This all changes if you turn the reverb knob to anything above 3-4. The reverb is noisy and it's by design. You can search online (quilter micropro reverb noise) and find out more about it. It's not an issue for performance level volumes but if you like to use the amp's reverb when practicing in a quiet room and you're sensitive to noise, it might bug you.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 10-27-2021 at 03:43 PM.

User Info Menu

I've got the Quilter micropro 8, I also have the Quilter 12" extension speaker. I think it's a great setup and with the extension speaker it sounds amazing and can get loud, twice the wattage with an extension speaker.

I like to get any grit/gain with pedals, the Quilter is great with pedals.

Edit: I never noticed the hiss mentioned in the previous post. I just turned my MicroPro 8 on and played with turning up the volume and the reverb, yes there is hiss but like I mentioned I never noticed before. As such, I think of it as a quiet amp when it comes to hiss.
    Last edited by fep; 10-27-2021 at 03:47 PM.

User Info Menu

I have the Quilter Mach Pro 2 with the 10" speaker and I like it a lot.

When I was looking for an amp for playing jazz I saw a lot of love for the Mach Pro 2 with the 8" and also 12" speaker, but here in the UK I could only find a 10" version. It sounds great to me. I just followed the settings explained by Rich Severson to get a sound I really like. I already had a home made extension cab with a 12" Jenson Blackbird and the Quilter sounds fantastic when I supplement the built-in speaker with the extension cab. I've not gigged with it yet, but for home practice it works well. The clean tone is excellent, but you can dial in a little 'on the edge' break up if that's what you like.

It IS a versatile amp, so if you play other styles if might serve you well, although I tend to just set it and forget it for jazz and use other kit if I'm playing blues.

User Info Menu

I have a separate thread on a parallel subject: Little Jazz versus Quilter Highway 101 Mini.

Simply put, and without getting into DV Mark’s reliability issues*, the Quilter is ten times the amp simply because it has so many nuanced tones available in it. Many of these are great for jazz; be it clean or a tad bit of Wes Mo dirt.

*I know many on this forum have had years of reliable service from Little Jazzes, but after two failures, mine is converted to a nice little 8” cab.

User Info Menu

A point which probably ought to be made is that these two amps are not in the same price class. '\

We're comparing a $400 amp (I've seen it as low as $300, briefly) to an $1100 amp, based on GC prices today. I don't know if the Quilter sells for less at times.

I understand that price isn't directly relevant in a discussion focusing on quality. But, OTOH, it isn't often that there's a serious discussion/debate about a product and one costing nearly 3x as much.

Another issue is the relationship between sound quality and volume. Might the Quilter sound better at a higher volume? If so, does the player need that feature?

User Info Menu

I really, really like my two Quilter combos. But then, I do a lot of theatrical pit work, so the versatility is important to me. I have an 8 and a 12 HD. Almost any tone you could need. If you are patient and don't mind buying used gear, they can often be found for several hundred $ below new price.

And a tip: If you can score a used regular 12 at a decent price and you are handy with a screwdriver, you can pick up the Celestion BN12-300 for less than the $200 "HD" premium. Makes it an absolute killer amp, and you can even sell the original Classic Lead 80 for a little more savings.

User Info Menu

Thank you for your helpfull answer.

User Info Menu

thanks Frank ;-)

User Info Menu

thanks for your feedback ;-)