The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hallo Everyone

I picked up a pretty decent Washburn J4, which of course just looked too pretty to resist. Put on some 10-50 flatwound strings. Then decided to modify it a tad. I can't afford to spend loads. I picked up what looked like a Chinese copy of a k an K 3 piezo sound board transducer. Glued in place hidden away, with a volume control. Then I wired up a stereo socket, normal cable just the humbucker. TRS splitter cable gives me piezo and mag pickup separately. Just for fun. Interesting, and nearly there.

Couple of questions.

Still not sure about the original bridge, should I swop for a tune a matic bridge?

Also trying an acoustic set of strings 13-56, because I was not sure about the previous string choice. Too heavy? I understand that I might have a less jazzy sound, which I am ok with.

My Washburn J4 journey-16309602465936892782428229796580-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images My Washburn J4 journey-img20210714220507-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Looks like you're having fun!

I'd go for half wound 12's but it depends on what you want. Half wounds give you a smooth sound but with a bit more bite and clarity over flats.

If you try another bridge you have to make sure it fits the top properly. You can sand it on the top for a good fit, or you might get away with changing the top of the bridge to a metal one and keeping the original base.

I'd change the neck pickup. Never did like mini humbucker. Slap a full sized super 58 on there. They're quite cheap and offer an excellent jazzy tone.

I tried a different pickup but it did not fit, the jaws were too wide to fit nicely on the neck. Eventually I will look at that again. I think the thicker strings helped, but they do sound really bright. Through my Roland AC 60 a bit of eq helped. I haven't touched the truss rod with the thicker strings yet, I will see how it settles down.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russell_H
    Hallo Everyone

I picked up a pretty decent Washburn J4, which of course just looked too pretty to resist. Put on some 10-50 flatwound strings. Then decided to modify it a tad. I can't afford to spend loads. I picked up what looked like a Chinese copy of a k an K 3 piezo sound board transducer. Glued in place hidden away, with a volume control. Then I wired up a stereo socket, normal cable just the humbucker. TRS splitter cable gives me piezo and mag pickup separately. Just for fun. Interesting, and nearly there.

Couple of questions.

Still not sure about the original bridge, should I swop for a tune a matic bridge?

Also trying an acoustic set of strings 13-56, because I was not sure about the previous string choice. Too heavy? I understand that I might have a less jazzy sound, which I am ok with.

My Washburn J4 journey-16309602465936892782428229796580-jpg

User Info Menu

I had a similar looking guitar -- a Samick built Fusion blues oval hole archtop. It had a tune o matic which worked just fine. The electric output was quiet because the pickup is mounted too far from the strings -- I got that move up & that helped the tone considerably. As far as strings go, 12's round or flat seem like a good choice either way.

The volume control, was one of those 10 you can hear it, 9.5 it's gone. Tried a different pot but not a success. So opted for a simple on/off mini toggle switches. I did swop out the pick up, but went for a similar neck "Old Timer" mini humbucker from Alegree.co.uk. it is much improved. But I still have a mad plan to put in a full size humbucker...