The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: Are you currently in Buyer, Seller or Holder mode these days ?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buyer: I'm on the lookout for the next "One" or maybe two...or three....

8 10.96%
  • Seller: got too many and it's time to make room for that Barca lounger I always wanted.

9 12.33%
  • Holder: like Little Red Riding Hood's Portage, their collection is "just right".

38 52.05%
  • Changes Daily: plan or attitude is always in a state of flux.

18 24.66%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 32

User Info Menu

Was curious to see where folks currently are with their current lineup of guitars. Kind of an interesting time we are currently in, to put it mildly, and wonder how or if folk's attitudes towards their guitars has changed.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Seller. I like having three guitars and currently I have at least one more than I'm comfortable with. Ièm also planning much less travel so a travel guitar doesn't have as much meaning to me anymore. I may sell two and buy one.

User Info Menu

I just got one, so I have no further current plans. I really should sell some, but the effort is more than I really want to go through. All are for sale a the right price, but the right price for me is well above market, so unless someone shows up and begs me through enough pictures of dead Presidents, I'll probably just keep what I have.

User Info Menu

Anyone know how to edit the poll choices?

User Info Menu

Almost all my 'excess' guitars are restoration and or repair projects. Once done with the restoration or repair, I just keep the guitar. If I sold them I'd only lose out; my time is more valuable than any buyer could imagine*

* That is what I tell my wife when she asks about the room of guitars and amps....

User Info Menu

Little Red Riding Hood's portage, or Goldielocs' porridge?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by customxke
    Haha, hence my desire to try and edit the Poll, but I cant seem to figure out how. Between confusion, haste and autocorrect I really butchered that!

User Info Menu

I am gigging again on a regular basis so its a holding pattern for me. Gotta have the right tool for the job.

User Info Menu

All 3.

Some I'll never sell. The rest come and go. I dont have to sell any guitars for financial reasons. But if I'm not playing one, I don't want it around.

I have enough guitars, but I love guitars. So, I buy some just to see what they're like. In the past, you could go to a guitar store and try them out, but that's getting harder to do.

I have bought and sold a lot of guitars. Made a little on some, lost a little on others. I (almost!) always consider resale value when buying.

User Info Menu

Many guitars and amps that are gathering dust. I'm not a player/collector anymore, just a player and the majority really needs to go. I used to buy maybe one really nice vintage guitar a year on average but have only bought one in the last 5 yrs or so. The vintage Fender amps seem to appreciate more and more every year, so no rush on those along w the one prewar Martin I have (prewar Martins are $ in the bank unlike archtops)
    I'd like to get down to maybe 1/2 dozen guitars though, the rest were nice to aquire but the thrill is kinda gone and I could use the space.

User Info Menu

I’m holding at five, and that’s two more than I really need right now. Mostly, I am playing my Mijail Kharash classical. I can’t put that guitar down. I have a Trenier Model E as my only archtop. It’s really the only one I need. I have an excellent flamenco negra built by Jose Gonzalez Lopez. I play that regularly, and I plan to pick up my flamenco studies again very soon. Otherwise, my Martin and my Eastman T64 get infrequent play, but I like to have them around. So, I’m in no hurry to make any changes after a very active buying and selling year.

User Info Menu

I dig the Red Riding Hood/Goldilocks mash-up ...

Anyway, amp and guitar-wise I'm set (no room for more, and no hankering for anything different), but will probably sell a bass.

User Info Menu

I'm more than covered for all styles of music that I play (or attempt to play) so there's no jonesing for another one right now. But who knows? Last guitar I purchased I never could've seen it coming my way but it was just irresistable....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by customxke
    Buyer, seller, or holder?-teenage-girl-carrying-canoe-her-jpg

User Info Menu

I bought a semi in June and a hollow body yesterday, and am selling 3 others I don't play to cover those two. I have some that are already in my will, so they are staying whether I play them or not. I have a few others that were gifts, that are also staying. The small number of 'others' are always in play, whether I am shopping them or not But I do like having 'one of each', so 1 Tele, one Strat, one semi, a few hollowbodies and a superstrat or two.

User Info Menu

I'm currently sitting at 7 guitars with no plans to change, though I must admit I did add a PRS parlor acoustic to the herd a few months ago. Cheap ($500ish) and it turns out to be a go-to favorite. I'm not sure why I bought it, but I'm sure glad I did !!!!

I've got a tele & a strat that I never play, but they are both very nice.
    I've got a really old L-7 & an ES-175 which are great, plus two really nice Gibson Flat tops.
    If the Zombie Apocalypse starts up big time, I guess I'll start selling.
    But I can't imagine needing another guitar at this point.

User Info Menu

In Lockdown. The only shops open are supermarkets, dairies and petrol stations. I had a plan to visit four guitar shops and try four very different guitars; it was all thoroughly researched, down to the ferry timetable. But Lockdown was announced in the evening, effective at midnight, and I could do nothing but buy a bottle of gin to console myself.

I had also chosen new valves for the amp. I am annoyed with myself for not ordering them in time.

User Info Menu

I have four guitars for gigging. Two telecasters a gretsch and an acoustic.

I’m a holder. I also like ‘knowing’ an instrument. A few years under the belt makes a huge difference to playing. My guitars feel like home.

From my perspective too many guitars cripples me in choice. So I keep loyal and efficient.

This is not to disparage collectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I have a soloway I will never part with...I have been looking at godin 5th ave, CW 11 kingpins on line, for some bossa like tunes. So future buyer,maybe

User Info Menu

I've still got my first guitar, a Takamine F340S that I bought in 1979. And my second guitar, a 1981 GB10 that I got used in 1986. Frankly those are all the guitars I "need." But I have seven other guitars, the newest of which is eight years old. I guess that makes me a holder rather than a buyer or seller. I've sold three guitars in 42 years (and regret two of those).

But in practical terms, I really do need to offload most of the guitars I have. Several of them rarely get played and some of them are really pretty duplicative. They are just taking up space in the living room. I also have too many amps, several of which never get used.

User Info Menu

I've added two guitars this year, both arch tops, and have several solid bodies as well. Some of these are vintage.

I've been thinking about selling one or two of those because the prices are currently so high, but I usually like to keep a range of sounds around the house.

I do have a couple of bigger amps that I am thinking about selling.

So I would say that I am in a state of flux!

User Info Menu

Honestly, I'd like to thin the herd, but even when I list a git at a fair price, the potential buyer wants more off, sometimes stupid amounts off.

Last year I drove 50+ miles round trip to accommodate a working dude and show a black 1990 335 WOHSC (not a studio) to a cat for $1700. Before leaving I told him my price was fair, and firm. He played it from a little SS amp with an inverter in my truck and said he'd pay $1300 telling me HE needed to pay less so HE can make more money to flip it... after all it's got some little marks on it. Little Marks? LITTLE MARKS? on a 30 year old git?

I told him I'd burn it before selling it to him at any price and to go buy new... that pissed him off as much as I was :-) Needless to say I still have it and I'll let my heirs worry about it.

Oh, I LOVE it when they ask me what I paid for it as if that makes the sale price different.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    Honestly, I'd like to thin the herd, but even when I list a git at a fair price, the potential buyer wants more off, sometimes stupid amounts off.

Last year I drove 50+ miles round trip to accommodate a working dude and show a black 1990 335 WOHSC (not a studio) to a cat for $1700. Before leaving I told him my price was fair, and firm. He played it from a little SS amp with an inverter in my truck and said he'd pay $1300 telling me HE needed to pay less so HE can make more money to flip it... after all it's got some little marks on it. Little Marks? LITTLE MARKS? on a 30 year old git?

I told him I'd burn it before selling it to him at any price and to go buy new... that pissed him off as much as I was :-) Needless to say I still have it and I'll let my heirs worry about it.

Oh, I LOVE it when they ask me what I paid for it as if that makes the sale price different.
    That's awful, what a jerk. Haha, cant believe you really said that to him, not sure I'd have the balls. Good on you

User Info Menu

Unfortunatelly I am a holder. I mean this has a huge impact financially, not recirculating the money.

Being left handed, my choices are limited, and also many models are discontinued (for example Epi Joe Pass, Eastman 371, Epi Dot...). First of all if an opportunity occurs, I have to buy them to try, because I can not simply walk in to the next store, and try dozens of models. After buying, even I not completely satisfied, I prefer not to sell them, because maybe never will have the opportunity to have that model again.

User Info Menu

Hoarder is not an option in this thread. Nobody likes to admit to being a hoarder.