The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: What do you prioritize when selecting string gauge?

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prioritize playability. Tone is secondary.

26 20.63%
  • I prioritize tone. Playability is secondary.

27 21.43%
  • I compromise tone and playability to achieve a balance.

60 47.62%
  • I don't care about your silly poll.

13 10.32%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 55 of 55

User Info Menu

Always get a kick out of thunk chasers who think guitar, pickup, picks etc for thunk but dont realize Tal, Barney (I think Wes too, possibly Herb) used 15/20 for E and B. Yea guage does alter tone.
    Yep. No limp left wrists allowed in that camp. Nor bending, it could be hazardous to your fingers.
    I actually did use those on my L5 in my day. But that was long long long ago.
    Oh but the sound!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

In my younger days (teens through my 50's) I could play 14's if I wanted to but today (in my 60's), 12's are my limit and I will move down to 11's when my supply of 12's runs out. My aging fingers simply cannot handle the thick strings any more.

I never liked 14's, but loved 13's on a jazz box. That ship has sailed.

In my rock days (teens through my 20's), I went back and forth between 8's and 9's on my solid body guitars. Today, after playing Gypsy jazz and developing strong right hand, I have moved to 10's on my solid body guitars, as the lighter strings feel too loose. But I can see moving back to 9's as my fingers age further. And at that point perhaps I will move down to 10's on my electric archtops. I don't think my acoustic archtops would sound right with anything smaller than 11's. If the day comes when I cannot play the 11's, I may have to stop playing the acoustic archtops altogether. I hope that day does not come.

It is not a choice these days of tone vs. playability. It is a choice of pain or no pain. Old age ain't for sissies.

User Info Menu

Lighter basses (from a set of .012's) heavier trebles for me (I'm with a .013 and .017 now, but I've done a .014.)

Heavier strings aren't necessarily harder to play, because the can allow for lower action with no buzzing because the elliptical vibration pattern of the string is smaller...

If I'm going to be bending a bunch, obviously, I go much lighter. I have .010's on one telecaster...those feel almost too light for some things...

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Lighter basses (from a set of .012's) heavier trebles for me (I'm with a .013 and .017 now, but I've done a .014.)

Heavier strings aren't necessarily harder to play, because the can allow for lower action with no buzzing because the elliptical vibration pattern of the string is smaller...

If I'm going to be bending a bunch, obviously, I go much lighter. I have .010's on one telecaster...those feel almost too light for some things...
    I tend to agree with this. I can get the action lower with heavier strings in regards to buzzing or choking out, it seems. I think in the end what I notice between 12s and 13s at least on my archtops is that the thicker string gives that classic stiff attack/decay but a little less sustain. The 12s have a little more liveliness and "bounce" to them, IMO. I'm eternally a malcontent as neither one can do it all for me. Pretty much hands down I prefer 13s for any pick style rhythm playing. The chords just hold together so well. I get a little more sensitivity and expressiveness with 12s, but digging in they can flarp out more quickly. I still find 12s to be slightly easier to play, but it could be my mental approach and response to the slinkier feel... With hand issues and 3 to 4 hour gigs, I suppose it would be a no brainer to go lighter but...damn my desires.

User Info Menu

Equal tension across all strings gives a nice feel, but you have to buy a lot of single strings gauges.

Stringjoy Guitar String Tension Calculator