The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Hello, I am a gigging jazz guitarist and I use a cheap 200$ strat for more pop and funk-like tunes. Recently, the electronics started failing so I am deciding to upgrade the electronics.

Any recommendations for good upgradable pickup, or a whole pickguard I can replace? I am planning to bring the guitar to a technician for electronic replacement

I want replacement pickups for my strat-strat-1-jpgI want replacement pickups for my strat-strat-2-jpgI want replacement pickups for my strat-strat-3-jpgI want replacement pickups for my strat-strat-4-jpg

Sorry for the rotated pictures

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Good pickups will be cost more than your guitar.
    I use APG humbuckers in singlcoile size in my "jazz Strato".
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Reliability issues are likely the jack socket, switch or potentiometers. Less likely the pickups. If you dont like the sound of the pickups replace them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ryo17
    Hello, I am a gigging jazz guitarist and I use a cheap 200$ strat for more pop and funk-like tunes. Recently, the electronics started failing so I am deciding to upgrade the electronics.

Any recommendations for good upgradable pickup, or a whole pickguard I can replace? I am planning to bring the guitar to a technician for electronic replacement

I want replacement pickups for my strat-strat-1-jpgI want replacement pickups for my strat-strat-2-jpgI want replacement pickups for my strat-strat-3-jpgI want replacement pickups for my strat-strat-4-jpg

I’ve been pretty impressed by the build, fit and finish or entry level squiers tbh. I think you would get a lot out of new electronics. I would just strip everything out and replace with good quality.

User Info Menu

Too many options -- and you didn't mention budget? Like all gear, the range is $50 - $1000!

Amalfitano, Bare Knuckle, Lollar; for something different (around here) try Lambertones.

Let us know what you get!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Hand made in New Zealand: Mr Glyn's Pickups

User Info Menu

I wouldn't replace the pickups unless they are lacking in a specific area. Duncan designed pickups have a good rep, I believe they are alnico V magnets? Not like they're super hot ceramics or anything.

If yours doesn't already have one, you should probably get a switchcraft jack fitted.

Then move onto the wiring loom...

Your tone can change quite a lot depending on what you want to do with the circuit.

Treble bleed, blender pots and so on. You really need to research it. Or speak with your tech. Tell him what type of music you will be playing, I'm sure he'll have a suggestion or two.

CTS audio/log pots are commonly recommended. Maybe the TVT (true vintage taper) units, which tend to be a tad more spendy, but not by much. They are well made and are designed to have a more pleasing, arguably more usable, roll off. Other people would completely disagree and advise going with linear pots, or a mix, depending on the guitar.

Don't worry about paper in oil caps, they make absolutely no difference on a guitar circuit. Pure hokem. Sprague orange drops are fine. As for cap values: .047 or .022? Again, your choice. Vintage is .047 on a Fender, they moved to .022 at some point and then back again.

A cheap soldering iron is a great tool for a guitarist. You get to experiment!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ryo17

'
    Depends what you mean by "failing". I also gig (sometimes) with a cheap guitar. The cheapest Yamaha Pacifica strat copy. The neck is as slim as any I've played and that's what I like. It doesn't sound as good as my Fender, but the neck is so much more comfortable, the Fender stays home.

But, the hardware was not so good. It had replacement tuners when I bought it. I since replaced the switch and the output jack. The HB near the bridge simply died. I disconnected it. The HB position on the switch is now "OFF". No more moving the switch accidentally and not realizing what's wrong.

The other two pickups were fine, but I put a HB (lil 59) in the neck position.

Great guitar. It does not impress gear heads in the audience, but bandleaders have never complained.

So, the first thing to do is figure out why it's "failing". That's probably going to be a wiring or hardware issue. If it's a pickup, why would be all 3? You should be able to figure out which one by moving the switch.

If it's tone, then you have multiple directions to explore. The cheapest one is raising or lowering the p/u. Then it's caps and pots. But, if you used to like it, something is broken and needs to be fixed, not re-designed.

User Info Menu

I love playing around with modifying guitars to see what I can get out of them for tone. If I was looking to replace the pickups in a Strat, I would try these:

Noisefree Strat – Bill and Becky Wilde Pickups

I have one of these in the neck position on my Strat and it is excellent. It does not really have that glassy Stratocaster sound, so if that's what you're looking for these probably aren't it. They sound closer to a P90 which to my ears works great for jazz (the other two pickups on the guitar are full-size humbuckers, the Wilde L-90).

I also have the L280TN in my Telecaster and it sounds great there for jazz, too.

Even though they are "humbuckers" I use them with 250K potentiometers and .047 capacitors.

User Info Menu

Probably cost you more than 4x your guitar is worth but I have a Kinman Kick in the Arse set on my Strat. My own opinion is that they will sound anyway you want. They are that versatile.

User Info Menu

For what ever strange reason my electronics in my guitar need to have contact spray every now and then... they start to not work well, when I use any knobs or switches. Eventually the sound goes out completely. I live somewhere hot and dry, maybe that is why... IDk. How you described your problem, sounded all to familiar to me.

As far as PU goes, I would think about Lindy Farlin as a whole pre-wired system. There are a bunch of excellent PUs out there.

User Info Menu

There are tons of affordable,excellent Strat pickups made by a really experienced winder named . . . FENDER.
    Buy used off Reverb, EBay, GuitarCenter.com or MusicGoRound.com

Or if you want brand-new ones for waaaay cheap there's tons at Guitar Fetish / GFS.