User Info Menu

Hi to all,
    I am a beginner and I do not have a guitar with a magnetic pickup.
    I have two acoustic flat top that I would like to use for jazz playing; this is mainly for two reasons: 1.75 wide nut and 2 1/4 string spacing at the bridge.
    So, I looked for a soundhole magnetic pickup. I started to check humbuckers but one of my two acoustic guitars has a small soundhole and the ones I found, do not fit.... casually I found the Gretsch Deltoluxe.
    On the Gretsch pages I have found that it is a Dearmond reissue Rhythm Chief 1000.
    I can have a pleasant "Jazzy dark tone" high on the neck, not so on the firsts frets; but I am at the beginning of my journey, so I think that I will keep it and work on my finger technique.

I start this thread to ask if you have some opinions or experiences with this pickup.
    I would like to hear some opinion from someone more advanced in the guitar jazz journey than me.
    Have a good day

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That looks interesting…seriously I’ve not heard of it before. Reviews on Amazon are generally good.

I have a Fishman in-hole pickup for my acoustic. It sounds pretty decent. (And is quite cheap.) As always, depends on the sound you’re going for, but I enjoy playing jazz on smaller flattops, and with the right setup it sounds pretty nice.

https://www.stewmac.com/electronics/...CABEgJUJ_D_BwE

I’d be surprised if it wouldn’t fit in the sound hole of your guitar, but who knows.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cri75!
    Hi to all,
    I am a beginner and I do not have a guitar with a magnetic pickup.
    I have two acoustic flat top that I would like to use for jazz playing; this is mainly for two reasons: 1.75 wide nut and 2 1/4 string spacing at the bridge.
    So, I looked for a soundhole magnetic pickup. I started to check humbuckers but one of my two acoustic guitars has a small soundhole and the ones I found, do not fit.... casually I found the Gretsch Deltoluxe.
    On the Gretsch pages I have found that it is a Dearmond reissue Rhythm Chief 1000.
    I can have a pleasant "Jazzy dark tone" high on the neck, not so on the firsts frets; but I am at the beginning of my journey, so I think that I will keep it and work on my finger technique.

I start this thread to ask if you have some opinions or experiences with this pickup.
    I would like to hear some opinion from someone more advanced in the guitar jazz journey than me.
    Have a good day

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    That looks interesting…seriously I’ve not heard of it before. Reviews on Amazon are generally good.

I have a Fishman in-hole pickup for my acoustic. It sounds pretty decent. (And is quite cheap.) As always, depends on the sound you’re going for, but I enjoy playing jazz on smaller flattops, and with the right setup it sounds pretty nice.

https://www.stewmac.com/electronics/...CABEgJUJ_D_BwE

I’d be surprised if it wouldn’t fit in the sound hole of your guitar, but who knows.
    Hi, I checked your pickup before to find the Deltoluxe, but they say: “Fits in soundholes as small as 3-7/8" (98.5 mm) diameter” .
    I have a Sigma 000 m18 that has 3 ~13/16 (~97 mm) of soundhole diameter. I have a Guild P-240 memoir that has ~3 9/16 (~91mm).

I need to improve my technique before to tell more about the tone, but for sure, looks pretty:

Gretsch Deltoluxe sound hole pickup - Dearmond Reissue Rhythm Chief 1000?!-c8f8fd39-a0ad-45cf-ab42-ce128b205ad9-jpegGretsch Deltoluxe sound hole pickup - Dearmond Reissue Rhythm Chief 1000?!-cd95d1bc-8ff9-4b19-adb4-ea4bf9dd8fe5-jpegGretsch Deltoluxe sound hole pickup - Dearmond Reissue Rhythm Chief 1000?!-74772a38-8a3d-41b3-86ef-3ad88034fbc8-jpegGretsch Deltoluxe sound hole pickup - Dearmond Reissue Rhythm Chief 1000?!-59d15ab4-9f9a-43fa-b60f-915637b8e9a4-jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Weak High E. Terrible pickup, imho.

Try the Lawrence soundhole pickup. Terrible acoustic sound, but very passable jazz tone.