The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

I bought one some time back and it's fine with a light mic but I have a vocal mic that weighs a little over a pound and if the boom extends much, the stand tips over. Can't have that. The mic stays; a sturdier stand is what I need.

Is a tripod stand less likely to tip?
    Mine has a round, weighted bottom (maybe 5 pounds?). It's pretty sturdy until the boom extends a ways and there's a mic weighing over a pound attached. Tip city. I'd pay for a heavier base if that's what I need. I'm not sure it is, though. Maybe the tripod is less likely to tip....

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Those tripod mic stands should work. I have one and I think my mic weighs about exactly the same as yours.

Mine was inexpensive and the problem I've had is with the clutch slipping and the end of the boom slowly lowering. Not as bad when I shortened the boom a bit, but eventually completely solved when I rigged a homemade counter weight. I wish the clutch had teeth, it's just a friction plate. For that matter it would be good to get one that has a counter weight. Many have something that looks like a counterweight bit it's actually just a plastic end cap.

I'd look at ratings and read reviews regarding clutch slippage, but a tripod style is my preferred type of mic stand.

User Info Menu

Wow, a 17-pound base! That would give me peace of mind. Thanks!
    Had hoped to spend less but it's an important piece of equipment and it should outlast me!

User Info Menu

I use K&M stands w a tripod base made in Germany.
    Work great and they'll outlast you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    +1. I too have good experiences with K&M gear.

Photo tripods are usually made more sturdy than mike stands (depending on the price level of course). If you or someone around you happen to have a photo tripod with a center column which can be swung out in a horizontal position, it can work as a boom mike stand in a pinch (not on stage of course). Many microphone to stand adapters have standard 3/8" or 1/4" threads, which is also a standard for tripods used in photography. Thus it should be easy to mount an arca-swiss compatible (the standard for connectors in photography) camera plate on the mike adapter to get a quick-release connection between mike and tripod. Or avoid the connectors and simply screw the mike adapter to the tripod. But admitted, it may be clumsy.

Apart from that, the key to solving this kind of problem is to add weight centrally or counterlateral to the heavy microphone. On a photo tripod, one can usuallly hang a heavy bag down between the tripod legs. Or one can pack heavy sand bags around the tripod legs at floor level.

Of course, such measures are only temporary emergency solutions. If you will continue to use that mike in that "boomed" position, the lasting answer is to buy a microphone stand which can support it with good stability. It will likely mean a heavy stand or a stand with wide leg spread (or both) - but one can't defy the laws of gravity.
    Last edited by oldane; 08-04-2021 at 06:56 AM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Thanks!
    Those do look good.
    I'll have to check out the specs and see how wide the tripod base is and see how much room I have where I want the stand to go.

User Info Menu

I think a light in weight stand may be best for tight quarters as it's easier to reach over while sitting and move it in place with one hand. That's what I do.

User Info Menu

K&M stands of all sorts here including a tripod mic stand. However, heavy is good when you don't want something to move. I like the Atlas mic stands with a heavy base. Especially if it's not something I'll be schlepping about much. Great workmanship. Will last many years.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    K&M stands of all sorts here including a tripod mic stand. However, heavy is good when you don't want something to move. I like the Atlas mic stands with a heavy base. Especially if it's not something I'll be schlepping about much. Great workmanship. Will last many years.
    Atlas Sound MS25E Air Suspension Professional Mic Stand - Ebony | Sweetwater

More expensive than the On-Stage stand but Atlas stands are very good, I've got several MS-20 and MS-10 stands.

User Info Menu

Given your small space and that you'll be singing at your workstation desk; have you considered the mic stands that attach to the desk like the podcasters and broadcasters and DJ's use?

User Info Menu

My biggest frustration with "budget" booms is slipping clutches. It's crazy to be in the midst of filming something and have the boom slowly start moving downward...

User Info Menu

That's what she said!