The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

I just discovered that what I thought was the stock P/U on my oldest and most beloved Emperor Emperor Regent is actually a Kent Armstrong Jazzy Joe HJGN6 GD.

Now...how does one get that same sound out of an Epiphone Broadway?

I tried a Kent Armstrong Vintage 57 on my Broadway and it's not at all similar to the JJ. I want the same sound that I get from the Jazzy Joe, albeit in a full sized humbucker.

Anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance, as always.
    Last edited by tordiway; 08-04-2021 at 07:59 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It's not really possible to get exactly the same sound from a set humbucker and a floating single-coil. The closest you will find probably will be some version of a single-coil. You might try a Vintage Vibe HSCC, which is a single-coil Charlie Christian-style pickup that fits in a humbucker route. It's a drop-in replacement. It won't sound exactly the same as the Jazzy Joe, but closer than any humbucker. And the Jazzy Joe is almost certainly the original pickup on the Epi. It's an Asian-made pickup used on many imports.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    It's not really possible to get exactly the same sound from a set humbucker and a floating single-coil. The closest you will find probably will be some version of a single-coil. You might try a Vintage Vibe HSCC, which is a single-coil Charlie Christian-style pickup that fits in a humbucker route. It's a drop-in replacement. It won't sound exactly the same as the Jazzy Joe, but closer than any humbucker. And the Jazzy Joe is almost certainly the original pickup on the Epi. It's an Asian-made pickup used on many imports.
    Jazzy Joe is a mini humbucker not a single coil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Is Kent still doing custom winds? If so, get ahold of him and tell him exactly what you want. He's pretty good at that sort of custom wind.

User Info Menu

I remembered the Jazzy Joe as having the polepieces in the center, but I dug out the one I have, and they are indeed well to one side, so it does seem to be a humbucker. But I still think the VV HCC pickup will get closer to the floating humbucker than any set humbucker I've tried. My experience is not comprehensive, however.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tordiway
    I just discovered that what I thought was the stock P/U on my oldest and most beloved Emperor Emperor Regent is actually a Kent Armstrong Jazzy Joe HJGN6 GD.

Now...how does one get that same sound out of an Epiphone Broadway?

I tried a Kent Armstrong Vintage 57 on my Broadway and it's not at all similar to the JJ. I want the same sound that I get from the Jazzy Joe, albeit in a full sized humbucker.

Anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance, as always.

User Info Menu

Reach out to Kent Armstrong The Man http://www.kentarmstrongpickups.com/ .

User Info Menu

I will suggest another source. Rob Doolittle builds pickups in his basement, each of them to the customer's needs. He is currently building me a floating pickup that's similar in results as a low wind P-90. He's done this for me before and I'm back for more!

I'm a fan of Kent Armstrong, for sure. I've had some of his hand wounds and have nothing but praise. But here's another option.

Kalamazoo Guitar Co.

User Info Menu

I want the same sound that I get from the Jazzy Joe, albeit in a full sized humbucker..
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Is Kent still doing custom winds? If so, get ahold of him and tell him exactly what you want. He's pretty good at that sort of custom wind.
    I expect that Mr. Armstrong will literally take Jazzy Joe guts and install them in a humbucker case.
    In your color of choice.
    And his sig on the bottom.

User Info Menu

Duh. I solved the problem and it didn't cost a cent.

It finally occurred to me last night that one reason I dislike the Vintage 57 pickup compared to my Jazzy Joes is because it's too hot . So this morning I used the height adjustment screws to lower the pickup, then I played with the adjustable pole pieces until I got same sounding distribution between 1-6 as my Regents have. !Voila! Problem solved. The Broadway is still a tad louder than the Regents but I can make it work.

Thanks, nonetheless, for all the contributions.

User Info Menu

Duh. I solved the problem and it didn't cost a cent.

It finally occurred to me last night that one reason I dislike the Vintage 57 pickup compared to my Jazzy Joes is because it's too hot . So this morning I used the height adjustment screws to lower the pickup, then I played with the adjustable pole pieces until I got same sounding distribution between 1-6 as my Regents have. !Voila! Problem solved. The Broadway is still a tad louder than the Regents but I can make it work.

Thanks, nonetheless, for all the contributions.
    That's one of the first things I do on any guitar is lower the pickups. Each pickup is a little bit different, but my HB sized Dynasonics have a good 1/4'' between the pickups and the strings.