The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 60

User Info Menu

Tubes may be gone but I just checked over at "Gear Page" and everyone over there is using valves...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I don't want to be precious about tube amp tone, either. I hear a lot of bushwa about tube tone vs. solid state tone from people with their guitars plugged into a dozen solid state pedals in front of their superior tube amp.... If tubes go away, we'll live.

User Info Menu

I have been a electronic technician for 39 years at one of the largest research centers in the world. So I know a little.

I got rid of all my tube equipment and spare tubes long ago. I am all digital. Not a bit sorry. Will never go back.

Too much money for stone age technology.

User Info Menu

Tubes are definitely not stone age tools. Early iron age, at least.

User Info Menu

We can either hoard tubes or toilet paper these days -- choose wisely.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Back mid 80’s working for an airline at Newark/EWR, we noticed a group of hazmat suited people. They even had oxygen tanks, and some crazy looking equipment. So we checked into it. It was the site of the old RCA tube plant. We were told the standards back then were just dump the crud into the nearest stream, or ground. And someone wanted to build. (Condos, what else)))

So I wonder if current tube plants still follow that kind of practice, or are they more advanced in cleaning up after themselves? Given our sources: China, Russia, and JJ wherever they are ; I kinda doubt they’re doing A1 level controls.

TV Sweep tubes have little use outside of a 1960 Magnavox TV.

Happily in ham radio we don’t have never ending tube vs ss like guitar people. Sure many keep the tube stuff around, and there’s a bunch of angry boomers that will piss and moan, but the ss radios are so incredibly better, its why bother. Kenwood TS890 here.

jk is a ham in many, many ways, most not radio.

Welll, only to a small extent for me (being a ham in other ways than just radio [actually I prefer the formal term of Radio Amateur]).

While all modern transceivers (for Amateur Radio, commercial radio, military radio, etc.) are solid state (like my ICOM IC7300), they typically make 100 watts. Those who need "more power" (not me, other than the vintage tube transceivers I've restored, I'm more into low power [5 watts or less] radio operating) resort to amplifiers, to boost the power, and while you're seeing more solid state radio amplifiers appear each year, the majority of them still use tubes, since they're cheaper than solid state radio amps, and can handle less than ideal antenna situations better than solid state radio amps can.

73 (Best Regards),
    Ellen - AF9J

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    I don't want to be precious about tube amp tone, either. I hear a lot of bushwa about tube tone vs. solid state tone from people with their guitars plugged into a dozen solid state pedals in front of their superior tube amp.... If tubes go away, we'll live.
    IMO, and from my experience, there are good and bad guitar amps - tube and solid state. At the present time, my amp is a Fender Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb, and it sounds killer to me.

User Info Menu

Heat kills electronics, whether they use tubes or transistors. I added a fan to my Vibrolux Reverb, and the difference in internal temperature is dramatic with and without the fan running. I took a fan out of an old computer cabinet, wired it to a 12V wall wart, and screwed the fan to the top panel. The wall wart goes to the spare power socket on the back of the amp. The fan isn't loud enough to be a problem at playing volume, and I've only had one tube to fail so far, since the early 90s. The reverb tube went berserk and took out a cap and resistor. TBF, I've only played the amp a couple of dozen hours or so since I got it used, though. Mostly it just acts as a dust collector. I'll keep the fan on it, though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    ...He replied: "You can always buy another friend."
    ...sounds terrifying for me, not exactly the prototype of a friend in my head... I mean he should understand your feelings, and also know friendship is not about free borrowing. Also sarcasm is not a good sign.

User Info Menu

I don‘t think it‘s the end of tubes.

User Info Menu

There are players who swap tubes like my GF changes shoes, tone searchers may become more selective :-)

User Info Menu

I‘m playing tube amps since I‘ve started in the 80‘s but I‘ve recognized only very subtle tonal differences from different tubes (except cheapest chinese tubes).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jim777
    Personally, I'm going to be ditching my Mark IV and getting a Tone Master amp, so I honestly don't care. But I agree, prices may go up a bit but there will be a market for tubes while every guitarist 20 and older is still alive. The modelers are that good now you don't need tubes, you mostly just want them.
    Typing this because you wouldn't understand me with my foot in my mouth Just bought 4 new preamp tubes for my old Acoustic G-100

User Info Menu

Well, I’ve built nearly 40 tube amps, and have used tube amps since the 70s, but I hardly ever play electric anymore. Knowing what I know, and knowing what I like, if I had to rely on a guitar amp right now to support my family, I’d buy a Tonemaster. Fender is the first company to figure it out - don’t model as much as possible, just model one specific thing, but do it really well.

Steven

User Info Menu

If there is a demand, tubes will be made. That is how capitalism works. Ironically however, it was the abject failure of communism to create enough demand for transistorized amplification that allowed a few tube factories to remain (and also, communism's abject failure to safeguard workers and the environment, though I will note capitalism has it's share of shortcomings in these areas as well).

Digital modeling will make heavy, unreliable tube amps an even smaller part of the guitar amplification market in the foreseeable future to be sure, but I will bet that the three tube types I use (6V-6, EL-84 and 12AX-7) will be available to me should I need them for the next 30 years. I don't expect to be replacing my 1964 Fender Princeton with an Asian made Tonemaster any time soon. And my 24 pound Mesa Mark five 25 is simply a wonderful amp.

User Info Menu

There will never be an end to <your favorite dying tech here>.

Sure.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    ...Digital modeling will make heavy, unreliable tube amps an even smaller part of the guitar amplification market in the foreseeable future to be sure, ...
    What about heavy, reliable tube amps?

User Info Menu

I'll be lugging around my trusty '67 Twin Reverb until I can't lug it no more. Only failed me once in 20 yrs but still managed to make it through that gig.
    Still haven't heard anything modern that nails that sound.

User Info Menu

There is a lot of military equipment depending on tubes still in use. In part perhaps because tubes are less vulnerable to emp. Military tends to stockpile, but still I dont see the factories closing for another 50 years or so.

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

User Info Menu

What bothers me more than sound is that solid state amps are often ‘black boxes’; once they are broken repair is difficult or impossible, while hand wired tube amps from 50 years ago are still going strong.

I’ve been using an ultra light ss set up for gigs in town, and TBH I’m reasonably happy with it. I’ll use my tube amp for the gig tonight tho

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    What bothers me more than sound is that solid state amps are often ‘black boxes’; once they are broken repair is difficult or impossible, while hand wired tube amps from 50 years ago are still going strong.

I’ve been using an ultra light ss set up for gigs in town, and TBH I’m reasonably happy with it. I’ll use my tube amp for the gig tonight tho
    I understand the argument about repair.

This is just an anecdote, but, in the last few years I've spent, on repair of my 64 Reverberocket, around the same amount required to buy two new LJ's. And, I prefer the LJ. If the LJ breaks during my life time (and I have a working 40 year old Yamaha JX40 solid state amp) I'll buy another.

One other point -- solid state amps can be repaired. It does depend on what's wrong. Usually, it's connectors and they have to be resoldered, which isn't difficult as repairs go. I've been able to do that job on a Crate GFX15 and a JC55 without actually understanding anything about circuitry. It's more like wiggle, hear crackling, and solder.

User Info Menu

Whenever my valve amp reminds me that it is thirty-six years old, I tell myself it is made of parts, each of which can be replaced. Tomorrow, I shall order a new set of valves, made by JJ.

User Info Menu

I have a 1982 Mesa Mk IIB that I purchased used in the early 90s. It still has the tubes it came with though they're not original (Groove Tubes I think). It still works fine though it hasn't been heavily gigged in that time. It has a built in fan and I use the standby switch. I don't play loud volumes and am careful with it when loading and unloading it so that's helped I'm sure. I'd say that's pretty remarkable reliability for almost 30 years though it might be a good idea to get some spares for when the time comes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    What about heavy, reliable tube amps?
    How about unicorns?

User Info Menu

I’m not giving up my tube amps for guitar and especially not in home audio. Tubes rule!