The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 60 of 60

User Info Menu

I don't think anyone is asking you to give up anything. We may laugh at you, but we're not coming for your tubes.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I don't think anyone is asking you to give up anything. We may laugh at you, but we're not coming for your tubes.
    Funny. Laughing at me for having the finest audio within 50 miles. That’s nothing to laugh at. That’s to be admired. Who’s laughing now?

The end of tubes-3d0f01af-9d3f-4fa4-9711-219cd41f47d9-jpeg
    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 08-05-2021 at 08:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohanAbrandt
    There is a lot of military equipment depending on tubes still in use. In part perhaps because tubes are less vulnerable to emp. Military tends to stockpile, but still I dont see the factories closing for another 50 years or so.

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

User Info Menu

It's up to us to provide the market. I'll pay for quality tubes. Some of these people making tubes for high-end audiophile gear are real artisans.
    Guitar amp tubes are different.

I want a Toyota Camry of tubes not a Chevy Cavalier.

It wasn't for a guitar amp but a couple years ago I got a 1950's triple mica black plate 5751 off ebay for $38. It had good specs.
    It was for an Art pre-amp.

User Info Menu

This article and the hoopla it caused is much ado about nothing. Matthews owns several of these tube producing companies in Russia. And who in the audio world buys Electro Harmonic tubes? Not the audio community that’s for sure! Talk about self promotion! And yes, home audio and guitar tube amps are entirely different. There’s been zero tube price increases. It’s simply a story of a future created to serve this shady character. Get off my lawn!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    We can either hoard tubes or toilet paper these days -- choose wisely.
    When your finished contemplating the meaning if life in the morning. The hoard of tubes just will not get the job done.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BBGuitar
    When your finished contemplating the meaning if life in the morning. The hoard of tubes just will not get the job done.
    The end of tubes-3a064575-11f4-47e1-9994-fd8ad2207790-jpg

User Info Menu

Tubes were electronics through the first half of the last century. They were very tough and reliable - used in the most severe service - mud, salt water, vibration, and explosions of the battle field, submarines, war planes, and battleships. The power tubes in my stereo were introduced about 1930; in their design specification was continuous 24/7 underground buried operation with ten year replaced schedule.

Now days some think of tubes as delicate. Most modern tubes probably are, relative to the old ones. There are lots of reasons, but a big one is the diminishing returns vs costs establishing harder vacuum. What modern manufacturer is willing to run the pumps on a batch of tubes for a month while offering only a three month warranty?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    How about unicorns?
    You want unicorns? I'll cover you in unicorns!
    Attached Images Attached Images The end of tubes-few-ampegs-jpg 

User Info Menu

Just spotted this tube thread and have enjoyed the comments. The reason for my late notice was due to my latest distraction...an all tube 5E3 Deluxe rig that I scored recently.

I've owned a bunch of tube amps over the years, and even have a couple of cool solid state amps that I use mostly as backups, but ain't nothing like this little old school 6V6/5Y3 sports car of an amp.

Amazing old school, touch-sensitive tube tone.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.