Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

I thought you might enjoy this short comparison of sounds on ATTYA:

Excuse me if it has been posted before.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

From the comments:

I use .012 flatwounds on my archtops. And I use .011 Elixir Nanowebs for the Tele.

User Info Menu

1. Fancy pants Suhr "Tele" with a ...
    2. Bumhucker neck pickup

User Info Menu

The Magician vs. The Wand!

User Info Menu

One is solid, the other hollow. I can hear you!!

User Info Menu

I think the most significant tonal differences between solid body and archtop guitars are in the dynamics and in the attack. So soft and even picking or using gentle fingerstyle don't always bring out these differences.

User Info Menu

There is a very subtle difference I hear. The archtop has a slightly warmer, "woodier" tone than the Tele. But I tried closing my eyes to hear the difference, and found that my hearing is shot.

User Info Menu

I clearly hear the difference, the archtop is more 3 dimensional and deeper, while the telecaster is flatter with a different attack and decay.

If I had to distinguish each guitar if they were played by themselves, archtop or telecaster, it would be impossible for me though..
    But played one after the other the difference jumps out.

And I prefer the archtop for that kind of sound, but the telecaster is very good also.

A few years ago I wouldn't have asked myself these kind of things and i just played whatever felt in my hands and felt happy.

Interweb has gotten me on the road to cork sniffing in a way.. Well..

User Info Menu

Two very good sounds.
    It would be interesting to compare with the same types of strings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jx30510
    I clearly hear the difference, the archtop is more 3 dimensional and deeper, while the telecaster is flatter with a different attack and decay.

If I had to distinguish each guitar if they were played by themselves, archtop or telecaster, it would be impossible for me though..
    But played one after the other the difference jumps out.

And I prefer the archtop for that kind of sound, but the telecaster is very good also.

A few years ago I wouldn't have asked myself these kind of things and i just played whatever felt in my hands and felt happy.

Interweb has gotten me on the road to cork sniffing in a way.. Well..
    Tone is so personal, I actually hear Tele having a more complex, 3D, so to speak, sound. There is a lot more harmonic activity going on when the notes ring. The archtop sounds deeper but also drier and simpler.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Tone is so personal, I actually hear Tele having a more complex, 3D, so to speak, sound. There is a lot more harmonic activity going on when the notes ring. The archtop sounds deeper but also drier and simpler.
    Exactly so, IMHO. I'm having my '66 Custom Telecaster rewired to have the tone control an option for all three pickup positions. The stock neck pickup setting is a bit too bassy for my taste, and I wish to have more options.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Exactly so, IMHO. I'm having my '66 Custom Telecaster rewired to have the tone control an option for all three pickup positions. The stock neck pickup setting is a bit too bassy for my taste, and I wish to have more options.
    I wired a concentric volume/tone pot on one of my tele partscasters in the normal volume hole and a 6-way rotary varitone in the normal tone hole Same two knob plate but three functions and a myriad of tonal options. I liked it so much that I did the same with my jazzmaster partscaster and my 12-string jazzmaster partscaster. Yeah, I have too many guitars.

User Info Menu

How is that too many guitars?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    How is that too many guitars?
    14 total. Plus 1 bass and 1 electric piano. I am good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    I wired a concentric volume/tone pot on one of my tele partscasters in the normal volume hole and a 6-way rotary varitone in the normal tone hole Same two knob plate but three functions and a myriad of tonal options. I liked it so much that I did the same with my jazzmaster partscaster and my 12-string jazzmaster partscaster. Yeah, I have too many guitars.
    What is this "too many guitars" of which you speak? Looking at it logically, since the optimum number is "just one more" then "too many" would then be two more? Avoid two-fers? Would double-necks count? Is BOGO right out?

User Info Menu