The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29

User Info Menu

If you had to downsize or replace a Gibson Electric L-5 CES or similar, what would you choose in a 17" bout? Laminate or solid, does not matter. And it does not necessarily have to be a downgrade in quality or price, but If I sell the L-5 CES, it probably will be. I may move into the Ibanez camp to recoup expenses for my L-5 and maybe a couple of others. Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tomvwash
    If you had to downsize or replace a Gibson L-5 or similar, what would you choose in a 17" bout? Laminate or solid, does not matter.
    Acoustic or electric? Or L-5 or L-5 CES/Wes?

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    Acoustic or electric? Or L-5 or L-5 CES/Wes?
    ..thanks for the detail clarification...

User Info Menu

Campellone or Tal Farlow

17" Archtop Replacement for an L-5-ca5645ca-b830-49d1-b2f5-f775186c21b2-jpg
    17" Archtop Replacement for an L-5-29f8fa87-3fcc-49e7-993f-bde8e784c554-jpeg17" Archtop Replacement for an L-5-52113894-66f2-4fcb-aa83-764ca8125ddc-jpg17" Archtop Replacement for an L-5-7f4393ad-c569-4d84-983a-a1cf80d8c499-jpg

User Info Menu

Ibanez LGB300 or PM200.
    Replaced my L5 they did, shes just a case queen now)

User Info Menu

Carved Top :Campellone, Elferink. Laminate: Sadowsky

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

17" Archtop Replacement for an L-5-img_2993-1-jpg

17" Roger Borys B120 Custom. $5500.

User Info Menu

I’m also going to be the one that asks what you mean by downsize.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    I’m also going to be the one that asks what you mean by downsize.
    Anything lower in price.

User Info Menu

Bozeman L7 C if you can find one.

User Info Menu

If price is the main thing, maybe a Heritage Eagle Classic or an Aria Pro II PE-180.

User Info Menu

Ok then, I’ll second the Tal Farlow or PE-180. Also consider an Epiphone Broadway Elitist.

Tal Farlow or Heritage recommendations look like the way to go here. Hadn't considered this. Thank you!
    Last edited by tomvwash; 08-01-2021 at 03:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Well given you cannot downsize and L5. An L5 is like prize wife and you really cannot replace one upside or down. You will get something different. However in the situation a Heritage Golden Eagle will do the trick or Heritage Eagle.

User Info Menu

Having both an L5 and a Tal, im a bit surprised offering up the TF as sound and playing wise equal to an L5. The TF thunks till the cows come home (or the tide comes in at Sea Bright) * But it to me does not have that L5 half electric half acoustic sparkle. Just opinion based on my gits. Also price…. A TF is up in the 5K range these days. An Ibanez PM200 (MIJ not the Indo PM2) gives ya that at 2500 preowned. The TF I would compare to an Ibanez AF200 (MIJ), a thinner body with more thunk than sparkle. But, used tend to go for 1500 +/- which is a heck of a well made guitar at that price.
    Again IMHO, YMMV, all our ears are genetically different and any other CYA i can think of))
    Back to the Avengers, steak, and a 2010 VA Syrah. Eat yer heart out CA, VA wines gonna get ya!

* and where did Tal live?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Having both an L5 and a Tal, im a bit surprised offering up the TF as sound and playing wise equal to an L5. The TF thunks till the cows come home (or the tide comes in at Sea Bright) * But it to me does not have that L5 half electric half acoustic sparkle. Just opinion based on my gits. Also price…. A TF is up in the 5K range these days. An Ibanez PM200 (MIJ not the Indo PM2) gives ya that at 2500 preowned. The TF I would compare to an Ibanez AF200 (MIJ), a thinner body with more thunk than sparkle. But, used tend to go for 1500 +/- which is a heck of a well made guitar at that price.
    Again IMHO, YMMV, all our ears are genetically different and any other CYA i can think of))
    Back to the Avengers, steak, and a 2010 VA Syrah. Eat yer heart out CA, VA wines gonna get ya!

* and where did Tal live?
    Thanks for the insight here. I have not played a TF or any of the Ibanez. The PM200 and the AF200 are on the same overall quality level, then, to your ears?

User Info Menu

The only Ibanez that I’ve personally played which I wouldn’t hesitate to put up against an L-5 CES was a 1994 GB-5. That was a sweet guitar.

User Info Menu

Mr Wu/Eastman on the Asian department.
    Campellone, Trenier, Heritage, Triggs...
    Many options.
    That being said, i don`t think that the L-5 is possible to imitate unless you follow the strict rules of thickness that makes Gibby`s sound like that, and that being the case: why would you want to replace it?
    The weight is a good reason, but surely they make it heavier because of the amplified sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Gustavo Eiriz
    Mr Wu/Eastman on the Asian department.
    Campellone, Trenier, Heritage, Triggs...
    Many options.
    That being said, i don`t think that the L-5 is possible to imitate unless you follow the strict rules of thickness that makes Gibby`s sound like that, and that being the case: why would you want to replace it?
    The weight is a good reason, but surely they make it heavier because of the amplified sound.
    Because sometimes the bank account needs replenishing.

User Info Menu

Like Deacon Mark said almost impossible to replace, like the right mate
    But Zheritage Golden Eagles and Campellones sound a lot like the older L5s of the 50s with their thinner tops and backs, not the newer L5s with their thicker top and back plates.

It was easier a couple years ago to find a used Golden Eagle or Campellone for a lot less than an newer L5
    ThecWesMo bug sure skewed the market

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tomvwash
    If you had to downsize or replace a Gibson Electric L-5 CES or similar, what would you choose in a 17" bout? ...
    And IIRC later in the thread you said that you were looking to raise a little cash.

So I'm guessing, based on very little evidence, that you're in dire financial straits right now. Sometimes it's just time to grasp the nettle. So if you're in desperation for cash, sell the L5 and don't buy a replacement for the time being.

Suppose you sell the L5 and buy another guitar for a few grand. Then you won't have the L5 anymore and you'll only net a couple of grand for getting rid of it, which will be gone in a month or two. Either don't sell it at all and weather the storm, or sell it outright and wait until you're in better financial condition to get another one.

User Info Menu

If it don’t need to be cheaper, friggin’ LeGrande! (It’s better anyway)

Happy to sell you one. I’m downsizing houses soon, tired of stumbling over guitar cases.
    Last edited by Donplaysguitar; 08-01-2021 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dconeill
    And IIRC later in the thread you said that you were looking to raise a little cash.

So I'm guessing, based on very little evidence, that you're in dire financial straits right now. Sometimes it's just time to grasp the nettle. So if you're in desperation for cash, sell the L5 and don't buy a replacement for the time being.

Suppose you sell the L5 and buy another guitar for a few grand. Then you won't have the L5 anymore and you'll only net a couple of grand for getting rid of it, which will be gone in a month or two. Either don't sell it at all and weather the storm, or sell it outright and wait until you're in better financial condition to get another one.
    I agree entirely. Thank you for this thought. Not necessarily dire finances, but considering ways to recoup past expenses. No need to sell an L-5 at the moment.

User Info Menu

There's a PM200 on Ishi's website right now for just under $2100
    USED GUITAR IBANEZ PM200 NT PAT METHENY [05] - Ishibashi Music Corporation