The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Looking for some input on specifically the Fender GTX50 amp. Anyone try one for jazz tones? Did you like it? How are the xlr outputs for recording? White noise on the direct outs?

Want a lighter amp to haul around for solo guitar cafe gigs. Also looking into the DV Little Jazz and which I have already tried and liked.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hello, my first post!

I had the GTX50. As far as tones go, it's great. Easy to build great jazz presets, and for other genres as well. You may want to check the following demo that has been done with the older GT100 amp; the GTX line is basically the same amp with improved cabinet and speaker:

However, I had constant troubles with the Tone app, the bluetooth connections and the footswitches, so I sold it. If you don't need those, at least when playing live, it should be fine. The firmware hasn't been updated for over a year so I'm not really sure what Fender is going to do with it though.

Can't comment on direct outs unfortunately.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=miggelblast;1138294]Hello, my first post!

I had the GTX50. As far as tones go, it's great. Easy to build great jazz presets, and for other genres as well. You may want to check the following demo that has been done with the older GT100 amp; the GTX line is basically the same amp with improved cabinet and speaker:

However, I had constant troubles with the Tone app, the bluetooth connections and the footswitches, so I sold it. If you don't need those, at least when playing live, it should be fine. The firmware hasn't been updated for over a year so I'm not really sure what Fender is going to do with it though.

I don't need the app or bluetooth connection. Going to give the GTX a whirl over at GC in the next couple of weeks. I am leaning toward the DV Mark Little Jazz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by curbucci
    Going to give the GTX a whirl over at GC in the next couple of weeks.
    Just DO NOT judge it by the factory presets. Most of them sound horrible. If possible, try to build a simple preset by yourself and try it with your own guitar or at least a similar one. Most of the Fender amp models are safe bets: Super Reverb, Princeton and Blues Junior were my faves. Tweak those knobs and try to get a passable clean sound. Maybe add a little verb or try to change the cab sim for final touch. You can dive in to other settings if you decide to buy the amp.

As most modelers, the GTX isn't just plug and play: there's a bit of a learning curve to make it sound and work right for you. I can't even imagine how many people have been turned off by modelers after messing with them for ten minutes in a store without really trying to dial them in.
    Last edited by miggelblast; 08-04-2021 at 04:15 AM.

User Info Menu

I ended picking up a Boss Katana KTN-100 MK II. So far so good. I was able to dial in a tone that works for me slinging a G&L Bluesboy Tribute playing fingerstyle through the neck humbucker. I have not played it out in any other environment outside my house. I have not played a gig in over a year and right now not really in a hurry to book for I am busy with family life. Small cafe/coffee houses in my area are a bit hesitant in bringing music back. Looked at the Fender GTX 100 but the options menus had me like those apes in the opening of 2001: A Space Odyssey when they encounter the monolith. I am old school in dialing in tone by knobs. I still have a flip phone so that is kind of an idea on how compatible I am with today's tech.

My Yamaha G50-112 II died last month and I needed something to replace that was lighter. This fit the bill with my budget. Hope to do some solo guitar recordings though the Katana.

I do only solo guitar stuff now these days and the Katana seems to get me there well. This is the first new amp I bought in over 20 years. It's been all older used stuff before that.