The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Fender hum isn't exaggerated. When I gig with a Stratocaster or Telecaster, I await the cue for the next chart with the guitar in two pickup mode to buck the hum, and switch to the neck pickup (usually) at the last second.
    I've had to do that even with humbuckers. Reverse wound pickups is a must.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Which begs the question, does RW/RP affect the tone in the middle position? I mean, do some other frequencies also get cancelled aside from the noise?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    The P90 guys that influenced me are Herb Ellis, Jim Hall, and early Tal Farlow.
    And... Green? Lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Which begs the question, does RW/RP affect the tone in the middle position? I mean, do some other frequencies also get cancelled aside from the noise?
    If they are out of phase they can cancel eachother out, resulting in low output and/or a nasal sound.

Now I must admit I don’t really know when they are fully out of phase: reverse wound, reverse polarity or both?

What I did in my current ES-33O built with double P90s was to switch the wiring of the bridge pickup around and now they cancel hum in the middle position. I have no clue if they have the same polarity or not (easy enough to change by switching the magnets around?), never checked that.
    Last edited by Little Jay; 08-04-2021 at 07:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    If they are out of phase they can cancel eachother out, resulting in low output and/or a nasal sound.

Now I must admit I don’t really know when they are fully out of phase: reverse wound, reverse polarity or both?

What I did in my current ES-33O built with double P90s was to switch the wiring of the bridge pickup around and now they cancel hum in the middle position. I have no clue if they have the same polarity or not (easy enough to change by switching the magnets around?), never checked that.

It sounds like your 330 might be out of phase according to the article linked below:

"If the two pickups have the same wind but different polarity, or the same polarity but different wind, they will be out of phase with each other.The most common reason for two single coils to be out of phase is that one of them is wired backwards. The lead that was supposed to be connected to ground is connected to the output, and vise versa. If you get phase cancellation when combining two single coils, the easiest cure is to swap the lead wires on one of them (not both, or you will just have the same problem).":
    Seymour Duncan Out Of Phase Pickups | Seymour Duncan

It seems like reversing the leads is the same thing as reversing the wind in most cases but it would lead to out of phase configuration with the other pickup if the polarity isn't also reversed. Polarity reversing seems to be more tricky (unless I suppose the pickup design allows for flipping the magnet):

How to Reverse Pickup Phase - An Easy Guide | Fralin Pickups

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    It sounds like your 330 might be out of phase according to the article linked below:

"If the two pickups have the same wind but different polarity, or the same polarity but different wind, they will be out of phase with each other.The most common reason for two single coils to be out of phase is that one of them is wired backwards. The lead that was supposed to be connected to ground is connected to the output, and vise versa. If you get phase cancellation when combining two single coils, the easiest cure is to swap the lead wires on one of them (not both, or you will just have the same problem).":
    Seymour Duncan Out Of Phase Pickups | Seymour Duncan

It seems like reversing the leads is the same thing as reversing the wind in most cases but it would lead to out of phase configuration with the other pickup if the polarity isn't also reversed. Polarity reversing seems to be more tricky (unless I suppose the pickup design allows for flipping the magnet):

How to Reverse Pickup Phase - An Easy Guide | Fralin Pickups
    Thanks for the articles, good information! I’m pretty sure my pickups aren’t out of phase now, they don’t sound like they are. They aren’t the same brand to begin with: an SD Antiquity at the neck, a no-name Chinese at the bridge. I remember after soldering it all together it didn’t sound right and they were out of phase (less output, nasal sound) to my ears. When I switched the wiring on the bridge PU it sounded right. So they were perhaps of different polarity but same wound to start with and are now both RW and RP?