Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Can anyone confirm which Ibanez GB model Perry Hughes was playing in this clip? It looks a bit thicker than a GB 10. The guitar solo begins approx 4.05. I believe the recording was done in ‘91.


  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu


  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Based on the size and pickguard, I would guess GB20, with a bridge pickup added, and vol & tone & selector added onto the body. Unless they made a two pu version I am not aware of.

    Ibanez GB20 - Google Search

    Which Model Ibanez Archtop is This?-ibanez-jpeg

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    Wow, I had never heard of him. what a f****** monster player. And the whole band too.

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Perry Hughes!

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Thanks for the video! Man that cat can PLAY!

    Definitely not a GB 12. It lacks the special 12 headstock logo. GB12 | Ibanez Wiki | Fandom

    Here’s the timeline for all GBs: Portal:George Benson series | Ibanez Wiki | Fandom

    There’s nothing on the production chart to match in that timeframe. Agree with Woody, could be a heavily modded GB20, or some Ibanez one off custom? Ibanez does do that (remember the Pat Metheny CC pickup pic?)

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Lobomov,

    l don’t believe it’s a GB 12. The model he’s playing has different fingerboard inlays and pickguard design; and does not have a figured maple top.

    AKA


  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    Woody Sound,

    You may be correct. I never saw a 2 pickup GB 20 either. Perhaps it was a one-off done at the shop because it seems a lot of effort to modify a GB 20 to add all of that after the fact.

    Whatever it was Perry got a great tone. Years ago I had a bootleg recording of him with burning with Harry Mason and Ronnie Foster and I was told he was playing a GB 20 that George loaned to him. Maybe this is same guitar.

    I’ll try and contact him to verify.

    AKA

    Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Based on the size and pickguard, I would guess GB20, with a bridge pickup added, and vol & tone & selector added onto the body. Unless they made a two pu version I am not aware of.

    Ibanez GB20 - Google Search

    Which Model Ibanez Archtop is This?-ibanez-jpeg
    Last edited by AKA; 07-31-2021 at 10:51 PM.

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Wow, I had never heard of him. what a f****** monster player. And the whole band too.
    Yes!!! I first heard a recording of him in late 90’s. Never have caught him live.

    AKA

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Thanks for the video! Man that cat can PLAY!

    Definitely not a GB 12. It lacks the special 12 headstock logo. GB12 | Ibanez Wiki | Fandom

    Here’s the timeline for all GBs: Portal:George Benson series | Ibanez Wiki | Fandom

    There’s nothing on the production chart to match in that timeframe. Agree with Woody, could be a heavily modded GB20, or some Ibanez one off custom? Ibanez does do that (remember the Pat Metheny CC pickup pic?)
    Jazzkritter,

    Thanks for the info. I agree - It may well be a one-off custom.

    AKA

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    What a monster player!! He holds his pick ala Benson, and is incredibly fluid with his up tempo phrases.

    It is my understanding that Ibanez made several one offs for GB over the years. That beautiful 2 p'up GB20 may be one of those.

    I've seen a blonde GB200 that was also gorgeous, but sadly not in production.

    Thanks for posting this video!! Sadao Watanabe is an amazing sax man.

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    First of all, I have never come across Perry Huges before. He can certainly play. Wow. What I am also digging is the strap. It looks comfortable but he must have a sense of humor. Or maybe he also plays heavy metal, with his GB guitar... idk, I think that is funny in a good way. (I am assuming it is about comfort. I also use wide straps).

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    Yeah that’s a GB 20

    Only the GB 20 has that long drooping pickguard

    Interesting to see pics of my gear around somebody else’s thread

    Big

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Crm114
    Yeah that’s a GB 20

    Only the GB 20 has that long drooping pickguard

    Interesting to see pics of my gear around somebody else’s thread

    Big
    LOL! Hey Mike, if anyone's photos are on the net and not copyright protected, they're fair game.

    Any Google search including the word 'images' will show photos downloaded to forums, Facebook, etc.

    I've seen my gitfiddles all over the net.

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    Relax Tim
    itd not that big a deal man
    Life is too f-ing short short
    Besides I am one crazy George Benson collector I guess I should see my shit on the Internet

    Lol

    Show them the special piece I gave you man

    Big

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    And… Big for the score with the long droopy pick guard!
    That I totally missed

  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    LOL! Hey Mike, if anyone's photos are on the net and not copyright protected, they're fair game.
    I don’t think that’s correct. Every piece of work, regardless of the medium, is copyrighted as soon as it’s put in an archival form. I’m pretty sure that digital files fall within this definition. Unless the work is either published or otherwise exhibited / displayed under a Creative Commons license or is placed in the public domain by the owner / creator, you cannot legally download or otherwise use it without permission.

    The fact that a work is protected is not the same as having a registered copyright. The value of registration is that violations are much more easily stopped and any damages recovered. Enforcement is another story - but most unauthorized use is a violation of copyright law whether or not the copyright is registered. I think the biggest exception is “educational use”, and I have no idea what the legal standard is for that. But I’m not a lawyer and don’t know any more than this.

  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Crm114
    Yeah that’s a GB 20

    Only the GB 20 has that long drooping pickguard.
    Reminds me of those earlobe discs. How do you shrink them back to "regular size" after removing the Vol knob?

    Which Model Ibanez Archtop is This?-earlobes-jpg
    Which Model Ibanez Archtop is This?-earlobe2-jpg

  20. #19

    User Info Menu

    Man that earlobe shits the nastiest first time I saw that was when I was in chef school in 1992. That’s just suck i flat don’t get I’m definitely showing my age

    Now me and Gitfidflet we go back a long way - we go back into the early 2000s hanging out on different variations of what became to Ibanez co
    Collectors World forum. Tim would swing by my place in Pacifica and hang out on my deck and play my GB-10 through my Delixe Reverb. When I realized I was going to get married and move I gave him one of my George Benson award it was an award for the album he did with Earl crew called collaboration he was gracious enough to send me a picture today here it is

    Which Model Ibanez Archtop is This?-b692ca55-d3d6-407f-af17-fe6d3e245caa-jpeg

  21. #20

    User Info Menu

    Perry Hughes the name sort of rings a bell but nothing concrete. One thing for sure is he has the guitar completely under his control and what a PLAYER. Comping monster to boot!

  22. #21

    User Info Menu

    Getting back to celebrating the GB20
    Heres The Man slaying with his


  23. #22

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by st.bede
    First of all, I have never come across Perry Huges before. He can certainly play. Wow. What I am also digging is the strap. It looks comfortable but he must have a sense of humor. Or maybe he also plays heavy metal, with his GB guitar... idk, I think that is funny in a good way. (I am assuming it is about comfort. I also use wide straps).
    Hmm. Looks like the same strap George is using in the Count Basie video that was posted.

  24. #23

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by AKA;[URL="tel:1137429"
    1137429[/URL]]Can anyone

    thanks for hipping me to these cats

    WOW !

  25. #24

    User Info Menu

    How the hell isn't that cat well known??? He SMOKES! Perry Hughes is on my watch list.

  26. #25

    User Info Menu

    Perry Hughes is a legend in Detroit, a contemporary of Earl Klugh and a friend of George Benson.