The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Has anyone played/owned a D'Angelico Excel EXL-1? Local craigslist seller in my area seller one from 2016 w/ hardshell case as like new for $799. Seems like possibly a pretty great deal. Wondering if anyone has opinions/experiences playing these and if 2016 is an okay manufacturing yr?

Thanks,
    Zach

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zkinard
    Has anyone played/owned a D'Angelico Excel EXL-1? Local craigslist seller in my area seller one from 2016 w/ hardshell case as like new for $799. Seems like possibly a pretty great deal. Wondering if anyone has opinions/experiences playing these and if 2016 is an okay manufacturing yr?

Thanks,
    Zach

User Info Menu

There's a sweet D'angelico EXL-1 listed in the for sale section of the forum with upgrade Charlie Christian pickup... might be worth a look.
    D’Angelico EXL-1 w Biltoft CC $850

I've played several D'angelico EXL-1 guitars through out the years... honestly they tend to stay rather consistent throughout the years to me. The only difference I noticed is that one I played a couple years ago new had a crazy tight string tension... much different than I had previously experienced... perhaps that individual guitar was just out of whack a bit and need some adjusting...

Good luck on your search!

User Info Menu

I’m the owner of the EXL-1 CC that Steve just mentioned and I can vouch that it’s a really nice example. It’s the only one I’ve played but the neck is outstanding, the fit and finish are really impressive and it’s comfortable, to me (at 6’ 180lbs) despite the long scale and 17” bout. I wasn’t a fan of the stock floater…seems that’s a gripe across the board with this model. I have zero complaints with it and would keep it if I hadn’t purchased another guitar with a Biltoft CC that I like more. It’s redundant to have both, I think. Anyway, mine is butter to play and is meticulously built. Seems to be the case with these based on the majority of reviews. Hopefully you can play one and see how it fits. Good luck!

User Info Menu

Thanks,
    Zach
    I've never owned one, but have played several. Nice guitars, very well made, as are D'Angelicos in general (I have a semi-hollow). I think they're pretty consistent from year to year, and wouldn't worry about that. $799 for a used one is about where the market is for them (check out Reverb to get a sense of that). So not a fantastic deal, but OK, and the fact that it's local (and therefore you can check it out and wouldn't have to pay shipping) sweetens the deal a bit over what you might find online. So, assuming you like it and the condition is as advertised, offering $50-ish less is a fair offer, but if he rejects it, $799 is a fair price.

Quote Originally Posted by Esport
    I’m the owner of the EXL-1 CC that Steve just mentioned and I can vouch that it’s a really nice example. It’s the only one I’ve played but the neck is outstanding, the fit and finish are really impressive and it’s comfortable, to me (at 6’ 180lbs) despite the long scale and 17” bout. I wasn’t a fan of the stock floater…seems that’s a gripe across the board with this model. I have zero complaints with it and would keep it if I hadn’t purchased another guitar with a Biltoft CC that I like more. It’s redundant to have both, I think. Anyway, mine is butter to play and is meticulously built. Seems to be the case with these based on the majority of reviews. Hopefully you can play one and see how it fits. Good luck!
    Wow, just looked at the link to your guitar. Beautiful and still for sale I presume? I'm going to show my inexperience here w/ hollowbodies but how does the Charlie Christian pickup sound...brighter, warmer, mids, etc?

User Info Menu

Wow, just looked at the link to your guitar. Beautiful and still for sale I presume? I'm going to show my inexperience here w/ hollowbodies but how does the Charlie Christian pickup sound...brighter, warmer, mids, etc?
    Thanks. Yes, it’s still available. The stock pickup was a bit weak and unbalanced. The CC has a much better dynamic range and has a more even sound. It’s not too bright and sounds really sweet with the tone dialed back to around 70%.

Here’s a video of one of the members here, Fred, playing a gorgeous tune on his L5C equipped with a Biltoft CC. It’ll give you an idea of what it sounds like. Sure helps if you can play like Fred…I sure can’t!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Esport
    Thanks. Yes, it’s still available. The stock pickup was a bit weak and unbalanced. The CC has a much better dynamic range and has a more even sound. It’s not too bright and sounds really sweet with the tone dialed back to around 70%.

Here’s a video of one of the members here, Fred, playing a gorgeous tune on his L5C equipped with a Biltoft CC. It’ll give you an idea of what it sounds like. Sure helps if you can play like Fred…I sure can’t!

It was Fred’s video there that convinced me to get a Biltoft for my 18” acoustic. Fred’s playing is exceptional, and that’s my favorite ballad that he does. In fact Fred wrote that tune I believe.

2016 D'Angelico Excel EXL-1 experiences...-19c0ad9e-8e13-40d0-b1a0-d6bedfa137dd-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    It was Fred’s video there that convinced me to get a Biltoft for my 18” acoustic. Fred’s playing is exceptional, and that’s my favorite ballad that he does. In fact Fred wrote that tune I believe.

2016 D'Angelico Excel EXL-1 experiences...-19c0ad9e-8e13-40d0-b1a0-d6bedfa137dd-jpeg
    Same here. That vid pushed me to the CC and that original tune of his is just excellent.

I know a great jazz guitarist who told me a story about a friend of his, who owned one of the Dangelico EXL-1 models with a floater on it. That guy knew how to work on guitars and because he wasn’t happy with the floating pickup, decided to cut the top and add a full-size humbucker in the neck. After that they met again at a guitar show, and the Dangelico guy showed him the piece he had cut out of the top. The jazz guitarist told me that both of them where completely astonished because it was some very weird material, not like the typical laminate layers, but he said it looked like a weird typ of cardboard. Personally, i played those guitars at a music store and wasn’t impressed at all. They look fine at first sight, but look closer and you’ll see where they’re coming from. And at that price, i would rather buy a quality Ibanez or eastman.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzmanLehmann
    I know a great jazz guitarist who told me a story about a friend of his, who owned one of the Dangelico EXL-1 models with a floater on it. That guy knew how to work on guitars and because he wasn’t happy with the floating pickup, decided to cut the top and add a full-size humbucker in the neck. After that they met again at a guitar show, and the Dangelico guy showed him the piece he had cut out of the top. The jazz guitarist told me that both of them where completely astonished because it was some very weird material, not like the typical laminate layers, but he said it looked like a weird typ of cardboard. Personally, i played those guitars at a music store and wasn’t impressed at all. They look fine at first sight, but look closer and you’ll see where they’re coming from. And at that price, i would rather buy a quality Ibanez or eastman.
    This is certainly good food food thought. So your friend was saying the laminate used was crap or the wood too?

User Info Menu

i have an EXL-1 about that vintage, it was a store demo I bought in 2017. I seem to remember they were going for 8-900 new then. Not long after that GC started carrying them, and i think the quality of that run was not as good. They didn't sell well, and the closed them out after that.

Mine plays great, and the pickup is fine, certainly better than Epiphone stock. My only real complaint is it's quite heavy.

User Info Menu

Mine is a ‘15 built at Unsung, based on the serial number. I’ve got no complaints at all about fit and finish. It is on the heavy side, though.