The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This pickup was recommended to me by another member in my thread about my newly acquired Eastman 805.
    I was fortunate enough to find one on Reverb and was waiting to have it installed as you can choose to have it
    wired to 13k or 8k Ohms. I was told i could have a toggle switch added, but I'm not interested in adding to cost at this point.

Anyway, does anyone have any experience with this pickup? If so, can you share some of your experience with it?

Thanks in advance, folks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yes, I had one on a Guild AA many years ago. It sounded very similar to the DeArmond 1100 that replaced it, (mainly for cosmetic reasons) on the 12K setting. I didn't bother with a toggle switch either.

If you're not familiar with the sound of the DA 1100 pickup, it manages to be bright and fat, at the same time. Goes very well with a wooden bridge.

User Info Menu

Many people on the forum have praised that pickup. Switched to one value, it sounds a lot like the DeArmond 1100 and switched to the other it sounds more like a P90. Adding the switch should only cost a few dollars and increase the versatility quite a bit. There are a number of examples on YouTube of that pickup.

User Info Menu

I have a couple of these - one on a Campellone and one on a Heritage. I think it's a fantastic pickup, and strongly recommend having the switch installed - the full output mode is very much like a Dearmond, and the tapped position is very much like a P-90. These two sounds are quite different and both sound great.The adjustable pole pieces are a great feature as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Many people on the forum have praised that pickup. Switched to one value, it sounds a lot like the DeArmond 1100 and switched to the other it sounds more like a P90. Adding the switch should only cost a few dollars and increase the versatility quite a bit. There are a number of examples on YouTube of that pickup.
    Thank you! Very helpful about the "dearmond vs P-90" depending on setting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    I have a couple of these - one on a Campellone and one on a Heritage. I think it's a fantastic pickup, and strongly recommend having the switch installed - the full output mode is very much like a Dearmond, and the tapped position is very much like a P-90. These two sounds are quite different and both sound great.The adjustable pole pieces are a great feature as well.
    Sold!