The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

All the pieces holding my SuperSnark to the mount, on both ends, broke off and I needed a new tuner. I've never liked the Snark series all that much, and the Korg Hammerhead I have isn't as accurate or stable as I would like. I have the Peterson app on my phone, and while it works, it's jumpy, and picks up ambient sounds even if the clip-on accessory is in use. The StroboclipHD is pricey, but I expect it to last a lot longer than the Snarks, thus saving money in the long run. The biggest asset, though, is the tuning. The tuner is solid, fast, and stable. I can tune faster with it than any other tuner I've tried, and with the sweetened tuning it makes the guitar sound better than I thought possible. I've only had it for a week or so, but already I highly recommend it. It's supposedly much better than the original Stroboclip, but I never used one of those so I can't comment on that. It is, however, the best tuner I've ever used, by far.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have one. Works well IMHO.

User Info Menu

I have four and I love them. What I do not like is the flimsy battery compartment cover. I place a strip of 3M Scotchtape to hold it down.

User Info Menu

I have one, too. Great for setting intonation. The sweetener settings are simply amazing especially on an acoustic guitar.

User Info Menu

I started using D’Addario Micro Tuners about a year ago and love them, especially on gigs. They’re low profile and don’t get shifted around or broken because they don’t stick out like many others do. The Stroboclip is a bit more accurate and versatile, so I think it’s great for recording or for playing with multiple other chording instruments (all of which have to be in equally perfect tune for it to make the most impact). But for $22/pair on Amazon, you can’t go wrong with the Micros - and a quick ear check for beat tones of 12th fret harmonics against the next higher string seems to be enough to fine tune after a few songs. And intonation is easily checked & adjusted by setting saddle position for accuracy and consistency of 12th fret harmonic and fretted notes. Going beyond the 2nd harmonic, the Micro display is not fine enough & a strobe is needed.

I stopped using Snarks after several broke at the ball retaining clips. I also had many batteries die because the Snark buttons are easily pushed by other small parts in the outer pocket of a gig bag. The Micros shut off automatically after a few minutes without a signal. If you need tempering etc, you need the strobe.

User Info Menu

The Peterson Strobo Clip is a great tuner. I own both generations. The first generation gave up the ghost when the jaws broke a few months ago so I ended up buying the latest. I agree with Jabs on the battery compartment.It is one of the few headstock tuners that will open wide enough to fit on my headless Forshage guitar. I'm also a fan of the soundhole pickups made by D'Addario. I have them installed in all of my nylon and acoustic guitars as well as any that will fit. That said, I only use the tuner to get a A note than I tune by ear. If I'm tuning my True Temperament guitar I use the Peterson IPad app offsets.

User Info Menu

What does the “sweetener” tuning do? Change the desired pitch? To what?

User Info Menu

It changes the pitch of some strings very slightly, go give a 'sweeter' sound to chords. I don't know the details, which strings are changed by how much, or anything else. It does give chords a more harmonious sound compared to equal temperament, at least to my ear. The default for the tuner is equal temperament, but you can change to any of several sweetened tunings, including many Buzz Feiten settings, and back very easily. I like the standard guitar sweetened tuning. YMMV.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy

They claim theirs is the highest level of precision available, but my 10 year old TurboTuner ST-200 is five times more precise (0.02 cent vs their 0.1 cent).

They claim no two instruments are alike, yet their tuner uses standard preset adjustments for the correction to sweetened tuning (my tuner will save the specific frequencies of my own particular guitar when sweetened tuned, to be used for subsequent tuning).

Their explanation for sweetened tuning is incorrect. It has little to do with the instrument and everything to do with the way the ears hear frequency. This is not about intonation or temperaments, it is that higher frequencies are heard as increasingly flat and lower frequencies are heard as increasingly sharp. To correct this, on guitars it is called "sweetened", all pianos are tuned this way and called "German tuning". A few minutes with an audio oscillator that shows frequency will demonstrate this - double the frequency a few times and hear it go progressively flat.

Tone Generator

This one is good because you can play and hear a tone while entering the next frequency, then hit play to instantly compare... Try 800Hz, then 1600Hz... higher one is about a half step flat. That is way more deviation than contributed by temperament or intonation.

User Info Menu

I can't stand this guy - he's all over my youtube recommendations and while I'm sure he's a lovely fella, I dunno, maybe the thumbnails.

Anyway he says something about a flat B string here.

User Info Menu

I’ve the original version. But I’ve got 5 other tuners so I’ve used it twice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Amberville
    I can't stand this guy - he's all over my youtube recommendations and while I'm sure he's a lovely fella, I dunno, maybe the thumbnails.
    But he's so happy to see you...
    Peterson Stroboclip HD-gettyimages-839145788-1024x1024-jpeg

User Info Menu

I ordered one of these on the recommendation of a friend. Similar to Snark but sturdier, bigger display and RECHARGEABLE!
    https://tinyurl.com/yr8jatuh

User Info Menu

Just ordered one…Very curious!

User Info Menu

I used the Peterson as my shop tuner, seriously, it was that good, and I'm talking the clip on one. Some times it was squirrelly but always accurate to the finest degree. Sometimes the scroll through on the modes was frustrating and time consuming but for accuracy, the Peterson is the best in my book.
    BUUUUUUT on my gigging instrument, I use the the son of a snark, a little cube with no stupid telescoping parts and fast, accurate and sturdy. And cheap.
    I also made a mount for a clock and that's proving to be the BEST thing ever!
    Peterson Stroboclip HD-screen-shot-2021-08-04-3-52-32-pm-png

User Info Menu

Got the Peterson put it on a Taylor 814. Used EQU setting which is the standard every manufacturer has. Then used the GTR sweetener setting. Biggest change was bringing the low E up a bit. Also raised the pitch of the A and high E but not as much.

This is curious. With the TC Polytune on my acoustics the bass E always reads low in poly string mode but in pitch on the individual. If I satisfy the poly mode then the individual reads slightly sharp. Peterson says make it sharp.

User Info Menu

My ear says the same thing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rob taft
    The Peterson Strobo Clip is a great tuner. I own both generations. The first generation gave up the ghost when the jaws broke a few months ago so I ended up buying the latest. I agree with Jabs on the battery compartment.It is one of the few headstock tuners that will open wide enough to fit on my headless Forshage guitar. I'm also a fan of the soundhole pickups made by D'Addario. I have them installed in all of my nylon and acoustic guitars as well as any that will fit. That said, I only use the tuner to get a A note than I tune by ear. If I'm tuning my True Temperament guitar I use the Peterson IPad app offsets.
    I have had two Strobo Clips and the clip on both have broken. I blame it on me leaving the clip permanently on the guitar. The spring is so strong and the plastic brackets are flimsy. Peterson would not sell me replacement clips so I refuse to give them more business.

User Info Menu

Hmmm…my first impression isn‘t the best. I’ll have to get used to this „spinning wheel“ behind the note letter. I found it a bit contra intuitive to use

User Info Menu

You just stop the wheel from spinning. If it's moving to the left, the note is flat. If it's moving to the right, it's sharp. The objective is to make the wheel stop moving entirely. That can be hard, so just get it as close as you can for a start. Strobe tuners have been around longer than clip-ons, but have been mostly confined to repair shops because of the size and cost. They're more precise and accurate than the cheaper regular clip-ons, but do take a small amount of practice to get used to.

User Info Menu

I have also found it best to tune with out a pick. This way you don't get overtone from the pick to confuse the strobe turner. This worked the same on my old Conn strobe turner.
    Thanks John

User Info Menu

Those of us in HS band in the 60s are pre trained for the Peterson by those old Conn strobe tuners. Also… setting the speed of a turntable. Some had the strobe thing printed right on the center.

User Info Menu

Was that before lsd had the same effect

User Info Menu

My old Pioneer turntable has a strobe built in.