The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 46

User Info Menu

Notice which one is so much stronger.

Gibson vs Campellone headstocks-75676556-1b0e-40f4-b8f7-539d90be8b3b-jpgGibson vs Campellone headstocks-916788df-3b06-4ed5-81c0-588a2ecaff22-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

But... but.... but..... volutes are evil! They're from the devil!

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    But... but.... but..... volutes are evil! They're from the devil!
    Campellone volutes are not as big as the Norlin Gibson’s were.
    The only time you feel it is when you play a 6 string F major chord.
    Total non issue at least for me though yes 1st fret is more comfy on the Gibby’s.

User Info Menu

If find volutes to be a non-issue, unless possibly when playing an F bar chord. In my opinion, they add structural integrity and likely some tonal significance.

Stradivarius had no issue with volutes, neither do several prominent luthiers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I think volutes are a great idea. The non-breakage angle is a big plus in my book.

User Info Menu

I like them both.
    Attached Images Attached Images Gibson vs Campellone headstocks-campellone-16x2_5575-jpg 

User Info Menu

I don't want to think about what chord will feel differently when I'm playing, so I'll pass on volutes.
    I'd bet most of Mark's guitars are owned by home players anyway so why would you need extra strength unless you have it on a stand on a hard floor and one of your kids or the dog knocks it over.

User Info Menu

My Campellone neck is one of the most comfortable, easiest-playing ever. I don’t even notice the volute.
    I prefer the appearance of the smaller headstock on my 335. (Which, by the way, was broken and repaired.)

User Info Menu

I like the Campy design, looks purposeful unlike a Gibson ‘tacked-on’ look.
    My best sounding 175 had a volute, 1979.
    Until the truss rod snapped. On its own!
    Oh Norlin.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k

Gibson vs Campellone headstocks-75676556-1b0e-40f4-b8f7-539d90be8b3b-jpgGibson vs Campellone headstocks-916788df-3b06-4ed5-81c0-588a2ecaff22-jpg
    I guessed the Birdseye Maple was stronger due to its slightly greater strength compared to Flamed Maple...in addition to the beautifully carved volute.

User Info Menu

I too find most volutes to be a non-issue. Often I don't even notice that a guitar has a volute when I'm playing it.

User Info Menu

Play thumb over on the first fret and you’ll never know its there

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Play thumb over on the first fret and you’ll never know its there
    Like Tal

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I don't want to think about what chord will feel differently when I'm playing, so I'll pass on volutes.
    I'd bet most of Mark's guitars are owned by home players anyway so why would you need extra strength unless you have it on a stand on a hard floor and one of your kids or the dog knocks it over.
    Well I can see your issue if you only play in open E and F keys or you are a cowboy chord guy.
    Unity's have volutes also. I never heard any Unity complaints regarding a volute. Just Unity praise.
    BTW...my Campellone leaves the home every weekend.

User Info Menu

No complaints Vinny and no disrespect intended to owners of guitars w volutes. I had a 70s Gibson Howard Roberts w a volute as well as a '34 Epiphone Deluxe w one.
    Mark's looks more streamlined than other makers, they're just not for me.

Both volutes and non volutes have their +'s and -'s for sure. I don't really need a volute but IMO a traveling pro would benefit having one going airport to airport or shipping a guitar UPS.
    Let's not forget BooBoo.
    No argument just both sides of the coin.
    Mark Campellone told me with all the guitars he has shipped over the many decades only 2 headstock breaks.
    I don't think their is any argument that a Gibson headstock can break pretty easy. Especially a mahogany neck.

User Info Menu

Speaking as someone who snapped the headstock on a '68 LP Custom (ouch!), I can readily attest to the weak spot on the Gibson neck, though I was never fond of volutes either.

However, I really can't understand how anyone could have a problem with the top of the neck on a Campellone, having just gotten one.

I tried every which way of playing a chord in the first position: thumb over, barre chords etc, and I can see no scenario where it would come into play.

I can't think of a thing bad to say about the job Mark did on the neck, except for that I can't transfer it to my other guitars!

User Info Menu

Vinny I think it's clear that Gibson neck is so fragile, so exposed, so at risk, that you need immediately to pack it up and ship it to me where I can store it in our temperature controlled archaeological room where we keep artifacts and other fragile things (like right now, a nice bottle of Kentucky bourbon but that's another story).

I'm happy to store it for you indefinitely, no charge! I'll even play it often to make sure it doesn't go sour in storage!

User Info Menu

I have about 8 or so guitars I play regularly, and I have no idea how many of them have volutes. My Seventy Seven Albatross is staring right at me, and I play it all the time, and I have no idea if it has a volute or not.....(checking)...seems that it does

I can honestly say with or without I never notice them.

User Info Menu

Virtually all of the Ibanez GB model guitars have volutes. I've never heard anyone have issues playing them or headstock breakage.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jim777
    I have about 8 or so guitars I play regularly, and I have no idea how many of them have volutes. My Seventy Seven Albatross is staring right at me, and I play it all the time, and I have no idea if it has a volute or not.....(checking)...seems that it does

I can honestly say with or without I never notice them.
    I checked, only one other has a volute

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Vinny I think it's clear that Gibson neck is so fragile, so exposed, so at risk, that you need immediately to pack it up and ship it to me where I can store it in our temperature controlled archaeological room where we keep artifacts and other fragile things (like right now, a nice bottle of Kentucky bourbon but that's another story).

I'm happy to store it for you indefinitely, no charge! I'll even play it often to make sure it doesn't go sour in storage!
    They won’t survive a UPS ship to Kentucky

Gibson vs Campellone headstocks-dec01fa7-a69d-4245-bc5d-83b4322aa17a-jpegGibson vs Campellone headstocks-9d028196-9dc1-44ad-b12b-1e544c9fa5ad-jpegGibson vs Campellone headstocks-c4aa572d-bf03-4479-9cf0-d48d2819379a-jpeg

User Info Menu

Wow, so much for the "5 piece neck" added strength and stability. Sorry about that!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k

Both of these are so ridiculously gorgeous, the flame and birdseye both. I know when you get down to it they're just tools, but there really aren't better looking tools than guitars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    No complaints Vinny and no disrespect intended to owners of guitars w volutes. I had a 70s Gibson Howard Roberts w a volute as well as a '34 Epiphone Deluxe w one.
    Mark's looks more streamlined than other makers, they're just not for me.
    Without looking or feeling the headstock, I don't believe you could tell me whether a guitar has a volute or not by simply playing it, so saying they're just not for you is really an odd comment. (Unless you're just referring to the looks of one?)