The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've been looking at Gibson CS-356 guitars; Ibanez JSM100 and the AM205. The 205's do not circulate often, obviously, but one on Gear Pages in borderline "good" condition for $1200 with shipping. I hadn't heard of the AM205 until looking at the Gibson CS-356. Can anyone offer suggestions in this area--wait it out for 80's vintage, or more than double the price for a JSM100 or similar? I suppose this could choice apply to any MIJ vintage vs. MIJ Modern...thank you for any suggestions.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I just bought a used AM205AV prestige. Incredible guitar. I would take it over any similar cs gib. It feels super solid, plays incredible, sounds beautiful, and looks great. I have played a bunch gibs including comparable cs guitars. I loved those also, and felt like I should have bought a couple of them but IMHO, my AM205 is a solid step above. I am super happy.

User Info Menu

Yes 80's Ibanez hollow bodies are still bargains for what you get.
    They do climb a little in price (recently I've even found a slight decrease?) , but nothing compared to Gibsons that seem to take 10% every year, which I find ridiculous Gibsons have become collectors items, not working man instruments.
    They have become totally inaccessible for 99% of normal musicians.
    You still easily find 80"s Ibanez hollowbodies under 1500€..

In France I saw the last few days : an AS 200 (1990 ok) for 1300€. An AM205 (can't remember the year), 1450€, a Joe Pass for 1800€..GB10s are beetwenn 1800 to 2000€ whatever the year.
    You never see Gibson 's under 2000€ (and more so 2500€ in most cases). And that is for recent 2000 to today's models.
    Everything under 1997 rises exponentially, at the limit of crazyness.
    Well overpriced Gibson is nothing new.
    Better may I say Ibanez bargains.

Quote Originally Posted by st.bede
    I just bought a used AM205AV prestige. Incredible guitar. I would take it over any similar cs gib. It feels super solid, plays incredible, sounds beautiful, and looks great. I have played a bunch gibs including comparable cs guitars. I loved those also, and felt like I should have bought a couple of them but IMHO, my AM205 is a solid step above. I am super happy.
    You were fortunate to find one. Where did you purchase? I believe it; they sound solid. Just noticed the AM93's on Reverb, tempting, but I can't imagine they have that same vintage feel or tone.

User Info Menu

Not sure what your budget is, but I'm a long time Ibanez guy (from '80) and I would go with the Seventy Seven Albatross in the classifieds. I just got one recently off of reverb and I and super happy with it. Bigger neck than the Ibbys, though.

Quote Originally Posted by jim777
    Not sure what your budget is, but I'm a long time Ibanez guy (from '80) and I would go with the Seventy Seven Albatross in the classifieds. I just got one recently off of reverb and I and super happy with it. Bigger neck than the Ibbys, though.
    Love the fatter necks. Great advice. Had never heard of the Albatross until now. Thank you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tomvwash
    You were fortunate to find one. Where did you purchase? I believe it; they sound solid. Just noticed the AM93's on Reverb, tempting, but I can't imagine they have that same vintage feel or tone.
    It floated into my work. I teach there so this is what I have figured out from listening to the sales people. There is some local person who is on a search to find an acceptable (to him) Jazz guitar.

So far he has gone through a number, but none of them has worked for him. When he returned two GBs, my friend (a fellow) teacher bought the GB10. (I almost bought that one also).

Yesterday when I went to work there was a Heritage there. I have played about three Heritage hollowbody guitars. All of them were excellent, but after playing that one yesterday, I could see why he returned that one. I was shocked. That has not been my experiences with all the other Heritage guitars I have played. The sweet 16 was amazing. Same thing with the Eagle. Who knows.

I think in the long run, he is going to kick himself for not keeping the am205. Then again it is a simi, but man it kills.