The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Since I was thinking of installing a DeArmond Reissue Rhythm Chief 1000 pickup on my Höfner (maybe with a reissue Monkey on a Stick), but Guild is not producing a Volume and Tone control box, I was searching for alternatives but did not find something professional. I don´t want to drill holes for volume and tone control in the original pickguard. Do you know any serious alternative control boxes or other solutions which can be used with a monkey on a stick?
    Last edited by Musgo Real; 07-24-2021 at 03:40 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

After some research on the net, I found the following. This is a pickup for acoustic guitars that comes with a control box for volume and tone. The good thing about it is that this control box can be screwed on and off and therefore also could be attached to a monkey on a stick and get connected to a different pickup like the Rhythm Chiefs 1000 / 1100. I can't say anything about the quality. The country of manufacture is China and the pickup with the control box costs just 13 USD including shipping. I've ordered one and will report when it arrives.

DeArmond Volume + Tone control box alternative-s-l1600-jpg

User Info Menu

I had my repro DeArmond wired to tone and volume control wheels mounted under the pickguard. Works very well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    I had my repro DeArmond wired to tone and volume control wheels mounted under the pickguard. Works very well.
    An image would be nice.
    I think you are talking about the wheels made by Schatten? If so, I was also thinking about this solution, but I like this vintage look of the control box fixed with the monkey on a stick.
    DeArmond Volume + Tone control box alternative-model-1000-rhythm-chief-oahu-catl-oct-1948-png

User Info Menu

I can tell you the pot on the control box I have, which was volume only, was unusual: it was 1000 Ohms.

User Info Menu

Yes, I believe they are Schattens, and would be difficult to see in a photo as they are under the pickguard. Something to think about if your inexpensive control box doesn’t work out.

User Info Menu

Schattens are the easiest to install. There are others available, though. Guitar Parts Factory has individual thumbwheel pots both 250kohm and 500kohm. Schattens are 500k.

Scroll all the way to the bottom: Guitar Parts Factory - Mini Potentiometers You'll need the capacitor and other parts. Schattens provide everything necessary. I tend to not use a tone control, just volume, so no need for caps or anything else.

I put my thumbwheels inside the guitar, in the f hole, because I don't much like pickguards in the way. Quality double-sided mounting tape holds them in place.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I can tell you the pot on the control box I have, which was volume only, was unusual: it was 1000 Ohms.
    I think this can easily be changed with a different pot with 500 or 250 Ohms. Even the knots can be changed to the colour and design you prefer. The market is full of them. I see this Chinese made control box, hopefully it is made of metal, from the perspective of the costs as a very inexpensive item in which parts can be changed to your needs.

User Info Menu

This gentleman manufactures vintage style volume/tone control boxes and mounting hardware compatible with the Dearmond pickups:

Store | Panique Jazz

User Info Menu

If it was me I would not have the volume and tone controls on the guitar but use a volume pedal and a EQ to do the function and have them on the floor.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    This gentleman manufactures vintage style volume/tone control boxes and mounting hardware compatible with the Dearmond pickups:

Store | Panique Jazz
    I know this shop but since then the volume/tone control boxes are out ot stock. I am thinking to order the stick on a monkey reissue from there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JaxJaxon
    If it was me I would not have the volume and tone controls on the guitar but use a volume pedal and a EQ to do the function and have them on the floor.
    Interesting, but not the cheapest solution for me. A good volume pedal will cost more than 60 Euro. Also a better EQ will be around 60 Euro or even more, too.

User Info Menu

Not having a tone control isn't a big deal for me, because I can set the tone at the amp. It's also technically not necessary to have a volume control. You can just run the pickup straight to the amp without any controls at all. But it's sometimes very convenient to have a volume control at hand to stop feedback, and to change the volume level without going to the amp. I've tried dispensing with all controls, and decided that a volume control is pretty much mandatory for me. YMMV.