The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Has anyone who uses D'Andrea Pro Plecs noticed a change in recent batches? I ordered a bunch from Strings By Mail recently and they have a matte finish. Perhaps the new picks are made from the same thermoplastic and the manufacturers decided to add a coating for ease of grip.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

How recent and which model? I bought some about 6 months ago and they seemed normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    How recent and which model? I bought some about 6 months ago and they seemed normal.
    351s. I ordered them one month ago but they just arrived this last week (I'm in Oz). Interested to see if they change back closer to the regular clear finish with a few weeks use. I can't find any details online so it's all a bit strange.

User Info Menu

The thermoplastic they've used for years, while having a distinctive tone has also been notorious for warping/curling. Not just "over time" but straight from the factory. Are your new picks actually flat? I have purchased and thrown away pro plec standard and jazz shapes, the small teardrop 358's did not suffer this deformity but I changed my technique and can't use them. Taylor sells Darktone picks that suffer the same warping. Of course if they've changed material or added something, they really aren't the same picks.

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    The thermoplastic they've used for years, while having a distinctive tone has also been notorious for warping/curling. Not just "over time" but straight from the factory. Are your new picks actually flat? I have purchased and thrown away pro plec standard and jazz shapes, the small teardrop 358's did not suffer this deformity but I changed my technique and can't use them. Taylor sells Darktone picks that suffer the same warping. Of course if they've changed material or added something, they really aren't the same picks.
    At this stage, they're quite flat but who knows if that will still be the case once I've broken them in? I also played 358s years ago and changed my technique (and yes, the ones I have lying around are fine).

User Info Menu

I have not had any warping with the 358 pics. I have had some mild warpage with the 651 shape. My only ProPlec 351s are many years old and prior to the onset of warpage problems noted a few years ago, first by Jack Zucker IIRC. All of mine seem to have cupped towards the hot stamped side which makes me wonder if that was a contributor.

I noticed a few batches where the edge finishing was defective, adversely impacting the tone.

I have yet to find any other material I like the sound of as well.

I have not had any warping with the 358 pics. I have had some mild warpage with the 651 shape. My only ProPlec 351s are many years old and prior to the onset of warpage problems noted a few years ago, first by Jack Zucker IIRC. All of mine seem to have cupped towards the hot stamped side which makes me wonder if that was a contributor.

I noticed a few batches where the edge finishing was defective, adversely impacting the tone.

I have yet to find any other material I like the sound of as well.
    Do you mean the highest point of the curve is on the embossed side? I only had one 351 left before ordering the new ones and it's cupped in that manner. You may have hit on something there as I don't remember favouring either side, especially once the design had worn away.

User Info Menu

My Pro Plec 351's are all warped. I've had them a few years now.
    For me they last forever -- only way I get rid of one is to lose it.
    The one's I have used are more warped than the fresh ones.
    But they are still my favorite in spite of the warp problem.
    I think they sound fantastic.

User Info Menu

I have never had a warped one and have been using them for years.

User Info Menu

A really good friend gave me a box of Pro-plec's last year. Box says 144 pcs. I expect they're not very new. Various shapes, mostly 354 and 358, with 351, 346, 330, 320, and, and 310.
    None are warped.
    I'm pick rich!
    I could loose one every week, and still be in business 2 years from now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    Do you mean the highest point of the curve is on the embossed side? I only had one 351 left before ordering the new ones and it's cupped in that manner. You may have hit on something there as I don't remember favouring either side, especially once the design had worn away.
    No, the opposite. The cupped or hollow side of the warp is the side that has been hot stamped with mine, but my sample is small (3 of 6 of the 651s).

User Info Menu

Mr Cunamara, I think I sent you the 358's I stopped using! Hope you've gotten plenty of use from them.
    I found xtra heavy celluloid to sound quite good but playing on roundwound strings does seem to scratch up the edges a little, which can make for an unpleasant sound through a very clean amp. They can be easily brought back to perfection with a 4 sided nail buffer. I'll often just use ultex because it is tend to really hold on to its smooth surface.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    Mr Cunamara, I think I sent you the 358's I stopped using! Hope you've gotten plenty of use from them.
    I found xtra heavy celluloid to sound quite good but playing on roundwound strings does seem to scratch up the edges a little, which can make for an unpleasant sound through a very clean amp. They can be easily brought back to perfection with a 4 sided nail buffer. I'll often just use ultex because it is tend to really hold on to its smooth surface.
    Yes you did! I think that, as I am coming up on 62, you may have sent me a lifetime supply of those. There were like 20 picks in the envelope. At least one of them gets used every day. Thank you!

My other favorite pick is a Dunlop delrin 500 1.5 mm cut down to the size of a Jazz III.

I have some Ultex Jazz IIIs and they're nice, but I prefer the slightly fuller warmer sound of the ProPlecs.

Yes you did! I think that, as I am coming up on 62, you may have sent me a lifetime supply of those. There were like 20 picks in the envelope. At least one of them gets used every day. Thank you!

My other favorite pick is a Dunlop delrin 500 1.5 mm cut down to the size of a Jazz III.

I have some Ultex Jazz IIIs and they're nice, but I prefer the slightly fuller warmer sound of the ProPlecs.
    Thanks everyone. These matte 351s seem a little more warp-resistant so far. Maybe they're now adding a new material for that purpose.

User Info Menu

Last time I bought Pro Plecs was a couple of years ago, but all the ones I've used have been warped to some degree. While the sound was fine for electric guitars, I found them to be too dull for my liking on acoustics.

User Info Menu

I said previously that I have never had a warped one, but I do notice a very slight concave effect on one side of some of them. I like it. It fits the contour of my thumb nicely. Is that what you all are referring to as warpage?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M.
    I said previously that I have never had a warped one, but I do notice a very slight concave effect on one side of some of them. I like it. It fits the contour of my thumb nicely. Is that what you all are referring to as warpage?
    Yes

User Info Menu

I use "ordinary" picks, 351 shape .72mm. I notice that each one starts out flat and warps slightly after about five minutes of constant play - the warp is not visible but I can feel it. I just flip the pick over and a bit later it has warped, so I flip periodically.

I think the warp is caused by my grip; my thumb is flat against the top surface but my index finger below only make a minimal contact on the side of my finger. My theory is that the thumb side surface heats, reduces the stiffness slightly, and allows my thumb to press into the pick and form a concave surface.

I like the pick to be flat or even slightly convex, concave distracts me and as soon as I notice I automatically flip it over.