The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

For the past year or so I've been playing more and more acoustic...its convenient, I like the sound...so of course, I wanted a "nicer" guitar.

I had been eyeing a 000-17 from Martin...but couldn't find one anywhere. Multiple people had told me to try a 000-15, as it might be better for playing jazz...

Today I lucked out and found one to try, and it was love at first m6/9 chord. So now I have a "nice" acoustic. Fun stuff.

Martin 000-15m-20210723_152656-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Congrats. Those are great guitars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Congrats. Those are great guitars.
    Thanks! Yeah, definitely a jazz players flat top...no overtones and super even response all over neck. I'm very happy.

User Info Menu

Very nice tone and technique. Congratulations on finding a great 000 for your needs.

User Info Menu

Congrats.Nice sound.

User Info Menu

Many years ago I got to play a friend's all-mahogany Harmony. I vowed then that one day I would get something comparable. You have scored the apex example of the species. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Happy New Guitar Day! I guess you gave yourself a nice B-day present?

User Info Menu

Congratulations! Martins are classy guitars. When I got married 'way back in 1979, for our first Christmas my wife surprised me with a Martin D28. I knew then, as I know now, I'd married well. Very well.

I hope you make a lot of great music on that very nice guitar.

User Info Menu

Thanks folks.

It was kind of a birthday gift to myself. It seems very versatile. I think I'll get a lot of use out of it

User Info Menu

Yup, I have a 45 year old 000-28, but I don't play jazz chord melody on it much.
    But all-mahogany flat-tops have a sweet sound for that.
    (I had a little Guild M20 once, but that's another story.)
    Lovely, albeit brief, rendition Jeff!

User Info Menu

I have the smaller 00-15M version. Such a sweet guitar. It's set up with low, easy action. A keeper, for sure.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Thanks! Yeah, definitely a jazz players flat top...no overtones and super even response all over neck. I'm very happy.

Enjoy ! What strings do you have have on it ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by medblues
    Enjoy ! What strings do you have have on it ?
    Thanks!

Right now I have 80/20's, my "usual." I'll let them break in and get an idea of how they sound, and then im going to try retro Monels.

User Info Menu

Big Martin Fan..
    Very well done..

User Info Menu

Sweet! I have one, too. I love that guitar an awful lot.

User Info Menu

I have a fender Tim Armstrong hellcat which is mahogany and a mahogany gretsch mandolin. Lovely sounds from both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I put monels on yesterday. Whoa. We'll see how they age, but right now these are THE strings for this guitar.

User Info Menu

I bought a Guild M-20 (Oxnard) in March of 2020 and still love it. I only play fingerstyle. All mahogany back and sides flattops are great. I agree with Mr. Beaumont on mahogany flattops as a jazz players flattop. I did try monels but I always seem to go back to EJ16's. I am a fan of very worn phosphor bronze strings. EJ16 strings start to sound good to me after about a month and I keep them on for about 3 months.

User Info Menu

To my ears and eyes, the Martin 15 series are my favorite! I love the unadorned and utilitarian look and I think mahogany is one of the most underrated guitar tonewoods.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by curbucci
    I bought a Guild M-20 (Oxnard) in March of 2020 and still love it. I only play fingerstyle. All mahogany back and sides flattops are great. I agree with Mr. Beaumont on mahogany flattops as a jazz players flattop. I did try monels but I always seem to go back to EJ16's. I am a fan of very worn phosphor bronze strings. EJ16 strings start to sound good to me after about a month and I keep them on for about 3 months.
    That guitar was on my short list (huge Nick Drake fan) but I never ran across one in person.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I put monels on yesterday. Whoa. We'll see how they age, but right now these are THE strings for this guitar.
    I have monels on mine right now and like them. Sometimes I go with 80/20. That's what I used for the first 15 years of the guitar's life.

I play fingerstyle and the 80/20s have a little something extra...volume for one thing. The monels seem quiet to me, but tonally sound closer to what I hear on old recordings that I like. It's easy enough to go back and forth depending on my mood. And the volume thing might be in my head. The tone thing too for that matter.

I definitely don't like phosphor bronze on that guitar, but I don't like PB on most guitars.