The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

Maybe there is another thread that has talked about this...

Wondering are there any amps out there that you've been able to get a good sound out of when plugged direct in to a board/interface plus a DAW.

Feel like I've come up pretty empty handed with all of the digital plugins that Pro Tools and Ableton have to offer, i.e. amp/cab sims.

Maybe I'm not exhausting every possible alternative, but honestly if there's something that works well DI as well as live then I'd much rather spend money on a physical object than a computer program with a million awesome options that I probably will not ever use.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Not an amp, but try a Line 6 HX Stomp. I’ve been using it as an modeler / audio interface face into Garage Band. Works great for me.

User Info Menu

If your signal chain is guitar —> amp —> line out —> audio interface —> DAW you’re going to be in for a bad time unless you process the raw line out with some kind of speaker cab sim. I get good results with impulse responses and some additional EQ at the end of the above signal chain. That said, you should be able to get at least a passable tone by going direct into your audio interface and using the built-amps provided with software like Logic or GarageBand. I like S-Gear a lot as well. The downside to the in-the-box solutions is monitoring. Listening to a guitar that you are playing (as opposed to mixing a recorded guitar signal) through studio monitors doesn’t give you the same experience as a real guitar cab interacting with the room.

User Info Menu

I'm going to give voxengo a shot. So far my favorite is just amp - interface - daw 7 band EQ. All of the free cabs/sims I've tried don't seem to be doing anything positive, to my ears anyway. Tbh I guess I'm not really intent on recreating the sound of a guitar plugged into an amp in a room as much as I am just looking for any good, working sound. Maybe I want a simple solution to a more complex problem. GAS is also involved... ;D lol.

User Info Menu

I have used most (if not all) amp modeler program... all of the paid for ones are good. There is one that is free floating around that I liked. It has been a while, I can not remember the name... I can check, if that would be useful for you.

so much depends on the mix, in how well a program (or anything really) will work.

I would keep in mind that it could be easy and cheap just to mic your amp. As you mentioned: a close mic’ed amp with a 57 (or another mic) could work better then any program. That is my experience, but there are situations where, it is impossible to get a good sound: hence amp simulators...

Outside of that, there is always tech 21 stuff.

Home – Tech 21 NYC

User Info Menu

Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb > direct out with Royer ribbon mic impulse response model (setting #3) > audio interface > DAW = choir of angels.

User Info Menu

I’ve been really happy with Amplitube 4 for DI recordings. There’s loads of amp and cab sims and virtual mic placements to exploit. Maybe you’re looking for a more direct and simpler solution but I personally love to tinker with all the virtual possibilities.

User Info Menu

Many fine amps have XLR direct outputs, eg the DV Mark Little Jazz and Jazz 12, and the Trace Elliot Elf. I have all 3, and the direct output sounds great from all. Hanging a mic in front of the speaker works fine, and we do it on our entire back line. But the directs are foolproof and consistent.

An alternative is a preamp like the ART, which sounds great and has both balanced and unbalanced outputs. I’ve had one for years and use it a lot for recording.

User Info Menu

Add to the list Quilter ToneBlock202. XLR out sounds a lot like an SM57 on the speak. EQ to taste.

User Info Menu

Well I went ahead and ordered a DV Mark Little Jazz. I'm using the same size micromark for the bass guitar and really dig it a lot! Sounds good both direct in and with speaker. Not that it will give similar results or whatever but hey I'll have a nice small amp! Plus I recently got a ge-7 so looking forward to putting that to use as well.

Much appreciated for all the replies and input.

User Info Menu

I like the Quilter Toneblock for quite a good tone while being cheap and easy. Less cheap but pretty high quality is the Grace Felix with a Strymon Iridium in the FX loop. Still need a conversion to get into a DAW of course. No complaints with the Focusrite for that purpose. Finally the Roland Artist has a direct (USB) computer recording interface along with an analog line out. A nice feature but haven't actually used it.
    Last edited by Spook410; 07-27-2021 at 02:12 PM.

User Info Menu

I have a DV Mark Little Jazz, a Quilter Aviator and a Fender TM Deluxe. All sound good through the line out. The Fender is particularly impressive; I use the simulated 'ribbon mic' setting and it sounds amazing.

User Info Menu

Joyo American Sound works well for direct recording. I did did several professional (pop) demos for singers like that.

User Info Menu

Some tips on using Direct input...

I have a Quilter but don't use the direct input, I prefer to use amplitube. Once you set it up, save it as a template and then you are good to go. There are a couple of steps to get it to sound good, mainly has to do with levels and of course what headphones or speakers you are using.