The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Deleted
    Last edited by jjang1993; 11-10-2022 at 06:53 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jjang1993
    Surprisingly despite the Quilter being rated at 10 less tube watts than the Vintage Sound amp, the volume was roughly the same at 9 o'clock.
    The basics of amplification are key to understanding what you’re discussing. A doubling of amplifier power will only yield a 3 dB increase in SPL, and only if all other things are the same. The rotational position of the volume pots is not comparable or relevant unless all circuit parameters and parts values are identical - so “volume at 9 o’clock” does not mean anything. For example, anyone who’s ever played through a Fender Blues Deluxe knows that output level takes a huge jump at about 8 o’clock on the clean channel volume control. It goes from bedroom to ballroom in about 5 degrees of rotation. Factors affecting this start with the value and taper of the volume pot and the input sensitivity, ie volts at the input needed to generate the rated output power.

The difference in maximum SPL between 25 WRMS and 35 in similar circuits is barely audible in loudness, except that it may push the point of breakup a bit higher to give a bit more clean headroom. Traditional SS amps have never generated the SPL that tube amps of identical rated output power could generate, for many reasons. But good current class D amps and selected other SS designs are now pretty much equal to tube amps with the same rated output. So it’s not surprising that a Quilter 25 watt head puts out as much sound as a 35W tube amp into the same speaker. The “extra” 10 watts don’t up the max SPL by more than 1 or 2 dB (which is barely audible at best) at full rated input voltage.

User Info Menu

You many not be able to answer this but my main question comparing the two Superblocks (US vs UK) is which one has more clean headroom? From the original amps, I think of the UK amps as breaking up sooner, but what about these SS amps?

User Info Menu

I have both, but they have never been switched on in the same room at the same time. Yet, my feeling is that the US version has more clean headroom, notably in the 57 Tweed mode. It has more midrange girth than the 61 and 65 modes. As well, adding Gain past noon does not add distortion in an abrupt way - no coarse sawtooth, just a little hair. Yesterday I played a nylon-stringed Yamaha NTX 700 through this amp and a Toob Metro 6.5FR cab. The sound remained fine all the way to the point when the guitar started howling. The acid test is how an amp-cab combination cuts through in a band setting. I'll be wiser after next week's band camp, where I'll take both 6.5" and 12" cabs, the SuperBlock US plus the BAM200 amp as a backup and for bass. The cabs have a 7 dB difference in speaker sensitivity, so the small ones do need a lot more power for the same oomph. Plus they spread the trebles wider. What I know already is that NY guitarist Greg Ruggiero has done an outdoor dance gig in Central Park with a 7-piece band, using the SuperBlock US and a 10" Toob in the 9 volt, 1 W mode. The solo is perfectly audible on a cell phone video clip which is otherwise so crappy I won't share it.

User Info Menu

Very good! I've been undecided about which archtop to take to next week's jazz camp. It's going to be my trusty Emperor Regent. That guitar is still brighter than an ES-175 for example, but excellent for the comping role there will be plenty of, due to another guitarist (with ES-175) in the same band, plus the ever airtime-hungry vocalist. BTW, placing the Metro on the floor further enhances the bass end.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    BTW, placing the Metro on the floor further enhances the bass end.
    FWIW, placing any speaker cab on the floor will boost the bottom of its range by at least 3 dB. This is called the boundary effect and is largely from reflected sound. You’ll double the effect on the floor against a wall and get 3+ times the bass boost on the floor in a corner.

The down side to this is that the reflected sound is a phase salad, so you lose some tightness and clarity as frequencies drop. But it also makes your sound bigger in the same way that some delay/reverb modes do.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    .....It goes from bedroom to ballroom ....
    I like that. We're talking about guitar playing, right? :-)

I switched to Quilter about 4 years ago after almost 5 decades of Fender and Mesa. I love ToneBlock 202. It's like a Marshall stack in comparison to this little guy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit;[URL="tel:1136211"
    1136211[/URL]]FWIW, placing any speaker cab on the floor will boost the bottom of its range by at least 3 dB. This is called the boundary effect and is largely from reflected sound. You’ll double the effect on the floor against a wall and get 3+ times the bass boost on the floor in a corner.

The down side to this is that the reflected sound is a phase salad, so you lose some tightness and clarity as frequencies drop. But it also makes your sound bigger in the same way that some delay/reverb modes do.
    thanks
    you explain the physics so well
    and in your other post before too

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    FWIW, placing any speaker cab on the floor will boost the bottom of its range by at least 3 dB. This is called the boundary effect and is largely from reflected sound. You’ll double the effect on the floor against a wall and get 3+ times the bass boost on the floor in a corner.

Well said. A down side is also the different kind of floors of the stages in different clubs, ballrooms and outdoor concerts. Some are solid but some are so hollow and boomy that You are in trouble if You have Your amp or speaker on the floor. And if the FOH has the subwoofers on the stage floor everybody is in trouble.

I struggled with this phenomena many years with different ways, tilted back legs, some plastic foam boards under the amp etc but only thing that has worked was an amp stand.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    only thing that has worked was an amp stand.
    Ever since I got the Little Jazz, I just use a bar stool

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    I like that. We're talking about guitar playing, right? :-)
    Indeed! You were probably confusing “bedroom to ballroom” with the event initiated by going in the opposite direction. Both are wonderful features of playing the guitar. And as my wife and I are in our 50th year together, I can confirm the benefits of lifetime practice on one’s playing.