The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

I'm playing a show for the next two nights, and the bass player's amp won't work, so I'm loaning him my AI Coda and RS 10 for the shows.
    Is this going to harm the RS 10 cabinet at all? There's all different types of music in the show (Legally Blonde), so some of it gets a little loud.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

It really sounded great through the Coda and RS-10. He put an acoustic bass, a five string bass and a fretless electric bass through them, and they all sounded fantastic. No sign of breaking up.
    After hearing how great things sounded tonight, I might go out and buy an electric bass.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    It really sounded great through the Coda and RS-10. He put an acoustic bass, a five string bass and a fretless electric bass through them, and they all sounded fantastic. No sign of breaking up.
    After hearing how great things sounded tonight, I might go out and buy an electric bass.
    The first time i heard an AI combo was when the upright player in our Jam group brought his new amp - I don't recall the exact model - and it sounded fantastic. " "Three-D Sound" is the best descriptor. The same session, he graciously allowed a P-Bass player of the Jaco school to use his amp. "Loud" does not begin to describe the sound, which also had a clarity which astonished. The amp never broke a sweat.

The next time I heard an AI was when I got my Corus Series III combo. i'm still grateful to my upright friend.

On the night of the last show, when I got to the hall, I see the bass player plugged directly into my RS-10 with the Coda still in its little bag!
    I said to him, "Uh you do know that you have to plug into an amp first, and then plug the amp into a cab to get a sound, don't you?"
    He doesn't say anything, so I set the Coda up for him, since he doesn't know how.
    The show is going perfectly until the second act, when he starts dropping out.
    I ask him if it's the cable, and on the first tacit, I go to get my imperfect backup cable from my gig bag.

He tries it out, and we go into the next number, and it starts dropping out again.
    So I turn around and tell him to try the other channel, check the connections between the head and the cab, the power cord, etc..., and he's got his head down, staring at the amp, and is ignoring everything I say.
    All of a sudden the amp starts to feedback like mad, and I tell him to turn the effing thing down or off.
    He still won't even look up at me, and I get kind of spooked. He's only 24, but maybe he's got a screw loose or something, so I just go back to reading my part for the rest of the night, with him dropping in and out intermittently.
    The show ends, and the producer comes up to us and asks what the noise was all about. Silence.

Then he said it was from the amp he borrowed from me. I just shrug my shoulders, and that's it.
    Everyone leaves, and I check the connections. The cable from the amp to the cab offers no resistance when I pull it out, so I plug it all the way in and face a great deal of resistance pulling it out.
    I look at the amp's power chord, and it's kind of loose on the amp input.
    I took it home and checked it out, and it sounded fine.
    End of story.

User Info Menu

And that’s why they have Speakon connectors.

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    And that’s why they have Speakon connectors.
    The amp has a speakon connector, but the speaker has a1/4" jack.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    The amp has a speakon connector, but the speaker has a1/4" jack.
    My RS10 has both SpeakOn and jack (combined - jack in the middle of the Speakon). BTW, sad that the Redstone cabs closed production, but rumors said they only sold a few hundred in those few years they were on the market. Sad because they were great sounding and very rugged cabs. I too used it with an AI amp but added a Sansamp DI in the input to make the sound more lively. I eventually switched to a Mambo 8 but the only reason was the smal size and low weight of the latter. The Mambo is a fine jazz amp but more of a one trick pony - the AI/RS/Sansamp combo is far more versatile.

User Info Menu

Late to the OP, but what speaker is in the RS - a 30w guitar speaker, or a 200w [or similar] bass/PA speaker, common with a lot of "jazz guitar" cabs? If the latter, this would be a fine bass rig.

User Info Menu

I've done that show a couple of times,it's awesome. Did you play guitar? Some fairly difficult parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I've done that show a couple of times,it's awesome. Did you play guitar? Some fairly difficult parts.
    Yeah, I played the guitar book, but you can hear on the original cast recording that they used at least two guitars on it.
    The only part I had trouble with was the part of the Overture where it beaks into 'One' and the azzhole orchestrator expects you to fingerpick six notes per beat at close to 100.
    I told the MD that I rewrote it so I'd play the moving notes part against the D pedal as triplets, and he said fine. If you listen to the original cast recording, you can NOT hear anyone playing that guitar part, so i think this was only on the London version of it. Either that, or it's completely buried by the orchestra. I couldn't find a recording of the London version, so I couldn't play along with the original cast version, because all the vocal numbers were a half-step different than the London version.
    The MD said there were 56 key changes in one part of the show! A lot of the reading was in six sharps, which was difficult until you get used to it.
    In the end, it's just another show once you learn it, but it can't be sightread.
    A bass player, who's the MD for a nationally touring show, tried to sight read it at one of the rehearsals, and he messed up every number.
    At one point, he got so lost on one long number, he just sat there and played a series of hammer-ons on the 15th fret of the G string, out of pure futility!

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Late to the OP, but what speaker is in the RS - a 30w guitar speaker, or a 200w [or similar] bass/PA speaker, common with a lot of "jazz guitar" cabs? If the latter, this would be a fine bass rig.
    It says 8 OHMS and 200 Watts, and it sounded great through the Coda. The kid played the schlitz out of it, until that meltdown I mentioned in the other post. Maybe I could send him to you or Cunamara for some therapy?

User Info Menu

He's trying to throw you under the bus when he can't even provide his own amp? Kids these days...