The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

Hi guys,
    I usually play Dunlop Jazz II. It's been my go to pick for many years. In my pick collection I have the huge JD jazztone 208, that I've been experimenting with on and off for about 15 years without much satisfaction until I just had a revelation.

Before I commit, I like to ask you about its siblings pictured above:
    -Are they all of the same thickness?
    -Do you think they differ in tone ?
    -Is the 205 similar to A Dunlop Jazz III ?
    -Do you use a pick from this family?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've been using the 206 for years, just feels and works for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JCat

Hi guys,
    I usually play Dunlop Jazz II. It's been my go to pick for many years. In my pick collection I have the huge JD jazztone 208, that I've been experimenting with on and off for about 15 years without much satisfaction until I just had a revelation.

Before I commit, I like to ask you about its siblings pictured above:
    -Are they all of the same thickness?
    -Do you think they differ in tone ?
    -Is the 205 similar to A Dunlop Jazz III ?
    -Do you use a pick from this family?
    I started my Jazztone experience with 206s, then added 205s. I modify the tips, blunting them just a tad. I am also very fond of the Jazz IIs in black.
    The 205 is not at all like the Jazz III. I use the Jazz IIIs in Ultex, also blunting them slightly (this takes a LOT of effort). Over-all I like the size and shape of the 205s. I wish they were a little thicker, like a lil' Stubby, which I also re-shape (again, a lot of work). My concept is that the last couple mms of a jazz plectrum should be a hemisphere, tapering up to the flattish sides. That's just me.

I haven't tried the 208s but I thing they would be great picks for acoustic flat-tops.

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    I started my Jazztone experience with 206s, then added 205s. I modify the tips, blunting them just a tad. I am also very fond of the Jazz IIs in black.
    The 205 is not at all like the Jazz III. I use the Jazz IIIs in Ultex, also blunting them slightly (this takes a LOT of effort). Over-all I like the size and shape of the 205s. I wish they were a little thicker, like a lil' Stubby, which I also re-shape (again, a lot of work). My concept is that the last couple mms of a jazz plectrum should be a hemisphere, tapering up to the flattish sides. That's just me.

I haven't tried the 208s but I thing they would be great picks for acoustic flat-tops.
    Yes bro, I also shape my own picks (to size of a Jazz II), but these JD jazztones are very thick and hard, so better get close I think.

Live tone is different from hifi-tone in so many aspects, but this time I wanted to make my amp sound fat and lush like an equalized stereo track. No acoustics, just the warm neck humbucker (similar to the recorded D'Aquisto we listen to the other day). So I did some preamp research, did some frequency analysis, fooled around with different guitars and picks...Bam!

I'm playing with the upper corner of the 208 and hold it slightly different than the small Jazz II. Considering the hefty size of the 208 I find it surprisingly fast and accurate.
    This is by far the largest (in all dimensions) pick I've ever used. I don't care for its acoustic qualities, but man, this is my fattest electric tone to date.

Oh boy, tonez in da details.

Now y'all think; -Why doesn't he just get one of each and find out which one he likes the best?
    Can't do that. Would have to order a bunch. Besides I'm really curious to hear your philosophies on the subject. There's so much tone in a pick, don't you think?

User Info Menu

207 for me

User Info Menu

I use the 205 and Jazz IIIs. I suppose the 205 is slightly smaller but not enough that I feel it makes a difference. It does make a difference in sound however. The 205 makes for a far softer, more masked attack than the clickiness of the JIII. Sometimes I think the 205 is too soft of a sound, other times it's perfect

User Info Menu

I have picks of many shapes and sizes. I never alter them. Recently, I discovered the Jazz I and Jazz III, things of rare beauty. The Jazz II eludes me. The D'Andrea XH also deserves applause.

Greetings,
    -Are they all of the same thickness? Yes.

-Do you think they differ in tone ? Yes. Different tips. Also, the bigger ones have more surface area to grip which gives more sturdiness to holding the pick. So, a 208 in my hands has different dynamics than a 205 or 206 which I’ll naturally pick lighter just because of the grip.

-Is the 205 similar to A Dunlop Jazz III ? Similar in that both are small pointy picks, yes. Everything else like material and thickness, no. They don’t feel, work, or sound the same in my hand.

-Do you use a pick from this family? Yes. I will sometimes use the 208, but I like picks, so I’m always changing / searching.

Excellent, thanks.

I usually try to narrow things down when possible, looking for consistency. I tend to gravitate towards certain configurations of gear, my groove so to speak.

I've been playing a lot of different styles over the years and pick my tools for the job. I guess that's one of the reasons I'm sticking with a pick that covers a lot of ground. Ultimately it is what I play and how. I alternate with fingerstyle, no nails, and sometimes would keep the pick in my palm while using the fingers.

The 208 is a chunky piece. It would be a commitment. I would have to play it every day for quite a while, before it becomes part of me. On the other hand I've had it for 15 years, so maybe I have already put in the hours

Confirmed: Thin picks sound thin, edgy picks sound edgy, fat picks sound fat, round picks sound round.

Plausible: Huge picks sound huge.

I remember a video, where a player and his studio engineer were comparing several classic jazz amps. They all sounded pretty much the same, because it was the same player, playing the same licks on the same guitar.......with the same pick.

It dawns on me I have to get the entire family of the JD jazztones. Who knows what revelation I have 15 years from now...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JCat
    Excellent, thanks.

I usually try to narrow things down when possible, looking for consistency. I tend to gravitate towards certain configurations of gear, my groove so to speak.

I've been playing a lot of different styles over the years and pick my tools for the job. I guess that's one of the reasons I'm sticking with a pick that covers a lot of ground. Ultimately it is what I play and how. I alternate with fingerstyle, no nails, and sometimes would keep the pick in my palm while using the fingers.

The 208 is a chunky piece. It would be a commitment. I would have to play it every day for quite a while, before it becomes part of me. On the other hand I've had it for 15 years, so maybe I have already put in the hours

Confirmed: Thin picks sound thin, edgy picks sound edgy, fat picks sound fat, round picks sound round.

Plausible: Huge picks sound huge.

I remember a video, where a player and his studio engineer were comparing several classic jazz amps. They all sounded pretty much the same, because it was the same player, playing the same licks on the same guitar.......with the same pick.

It dawns on me I have to get the entire family of the JD jazztones. Who knows what revelation I have 15 years from now...
    Horn players spend small fortunes on mouthpieces, violinists on bows. Guitarists get off easy - the largest pick collection is peanuts by comparison. And yet, it's where our tone begins. Pick obsessiveness is not entirely mis-placed. IMHO.

User Info Menu

It’s been a 30-year journey of using all kinds of picks: jazz I, II, III, ebony, horn, stone, rosewood and whatever more, but the past 5 years I have been exclusively using the Dunlop Ultex 1.14: the right thickness, the right feel and it puts wood in your sound! I think I found my holy grail!

User Info Menu

The Dunlop Ultex 1.14 can also be found in my collection.

User Info Menu

Checked the pick in my pocket- a 204.

I’m also partial to 207s.

Nerd fix of the day.

User Info Menu

I just received a few different picks from Strings by Mail. I've been using the Dunlop 206 the past two years. I like it but find its shape can be awkward at times (when hiding the pick in my fingers). So I ordered the 205, which immediately felt better to me. My only complaint with the jazztone picks is the lack of grip... they can slip a bit.

I also thought I'd try a Pro Plec 358, given their popularity among forum members. I was surprised at how small the 358 is... perhaps too small for my liking. Definitely a mellow, round tone, and I think more so than the 205/206's.

I've been most impressed with the D'Addario Acrylux Nitra Jazz 1.5mm. It was a random choice (not based on anyone's advice). Great tacky feel and a nice warm tone. Right now it's the winner for me but I need to spend some more time with it.

Sizing up-20210725_211303-jpg