The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

So I have started my quest for a vintage Gibson L5, L7, L12, etc. There are a few that I have found available, though unable to play. The goal sound I hope to find is the early jazz comping, chord melody to western swing comping.

There is so much info to try and put together... x-bracing vs. parallel, etc. Current pricing? Things to look for? Look out for?

There are a few I found for sale that are interesting and likely many more to include those that are well above my budget. I missed out on a really nice natural '47 L5 that a member here was selling a few months ago... timing just wasn't right for me.

SOLD quickly... bummer as this one was rather interesting. This 1949 L5 is very interesting as I did the old script logo. Yes, by this time the modern block logo was in place... sale listing states possibly and old faceplate was used. Was it normal for the script to be so slanted?
    Gibson L-5 Arch Top Acoustic Guitar (1949), ser. #A-2848, | Reverb
    Let's Talk Vintage Gibson L-5, L-7, L-12 (I'm looking for one)-owcq5ocmklk4ufo61jtl-jpg

1938 L12 Gibson L-12 1938 Sunburst | Coletrain Music Academy | Reverb
    Let's Talk Vintage Gibson L-5, L-7, L-12 (I'm looking for one)-l12-jpeg

1953 L5 Vintage 1953 Gibson L5 - musical instruments - by owner - sale
    Let's Talk Vintage Gibson L-5, L-7, L-12 (I'm looking for one)-53-l5-jpeg

1946 L7 1946 Gibson L7 Natural Beauty OHSC | US Vintage Guitars | Reverb
    Let's Talk Vintage Gibson L-5, L-7, L-12 (I'm looking for one)-46-l7-jpeg

1952 L5. (too pricey for me, but gorgeous!) 1952 Gibson L-5 Blonde | Norman's Rare Guitars | Reverb
    Let's Talk Vintage Gibson L-5, L-7, L-12 (I'm looking for one)-52-l5n-jpeg
    Last edited by Steve Z; 07-18-2021 at 04:19 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You missed mine!!!! I would recommend a well-balanced parallel-braced, mid-focused guitar for jazz and Western swing comping over x-braced. Considering Epiphones too? That’s where the best value is. I have an 1947 Epiphone Broadway available right now that is a comping monster.

1937 Gibson L-5 - Sunburst - Parallel Braced | That Rhythm | Reverb

1947 Epiphone Broadway - Sunburst | That Rhythm Man Guitars, | Reverb

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    You missed mine!!!! I would recommend a well-balanced parallel-braced, mid-focused guitar for jazz and Western swing comping over x-braced. Considering Epiphones too? That’s where the best value is. I have an 1947 Epiphone Broadway available right now that is a comping monster.
    Thanks for the info on why considering a well-balanced parallel-braced might be a good choice. I did see your guitars... nice finishes; however, I would like one that has not had crack repairs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Z
    Thanks for the info on why considering a well-balanced parallel-braced might be a good choice. I did see your guitars... nice finishes; however, I would like one that has not had crack repairs.
    No problem! Make sure to check it out well from the inside if you get one. I could show you a couple of guitars I have around here right now that have repaired top cracks that you could not detect from the outside. Most sellers don’t check that and may not know that the guitar has repairs.

User Info Menu

There's always this one:
    1937 Gibson L-12

Nice L12. The longer scale 25.5 is preferred. Thanks for passing the info though.
    Cheers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Z
    Nice L12. The longer scale 25.5 is preferred. Thanks for passing the info though.
    Cheers.
    Where are you located?
    Keith

User Info Menu

Buy Hammertone's his has the character and I will stand behind his character. My guess is his with the scale length is a gem with a warm sound. Heck I really should buy it but I still have too many guitars and have to part with something.

User Info Menu

Blonde? 25 1/2" scale? This one's missing a few parts, but is worth restoring.
    Attached Images Attached Images Let's Talk Vintage Gibson L-5, L-7, L-12 (I'm looking for one)-gib-l7-neck-jpg