The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

In this video I´m playing a jazzblues with 5 different guitars. In my opinion, these difference guitars make a difference for the player- how it feels, which musical direction each one leads and so on. But for the listener it doesn´t matter more or less, if i play a tele or a es335 - apart from the visual impression.
    What do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4eIHotmX3E
    Last edited by Andy Bartosh; 07-18-2021 at 03:02 AM. Reason: video not shown

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Link not working for me?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TedBPhx
    Link not working for me?
    NOW it should work....it was not ´yet open to the public....

User Info Menu

Nope. The link doesn’t look right. Nothing happens. No image.

User Info Menu

Worked for me just now. My main comment was that all those guitars sounded like you.

User Info Menu

courtesy click link:

Nice playing, nice guitars!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Worked for me just now. My main comment was that all those guitars sounded like you.
    Thank you!

User Info Menu

Lovely playing!

Yeah, always amazed how a player sounds pretty much the same on regardless what kind of guitar. If I hear recordings of myself I often can’t hear which of my guitars I used for it (just my Strats I can distinguish )

But you sound equally good on all your guitars!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Lovely playing!

Yeah, always amazed how a player sounds pretty much the same on regardless what kind of guitar. If I hear recordings of myself I often can’t hear which of my guitars I used for it (just my Strats I can distinguish )

But you sound equally good on all your guitars!
    Thank you! In my opinion, these difference guitars make a difference for the player- how it feels, which musical direction each one leads and so on. But for the listener it doesn´t matter more or less, if i play a tele or a es335 - apart from the visual impression.

User Info Menu

In this video I´m playing a jazzblues with 5 different guitars. In my opinion, these difference guitars make a difference for the player- how it feels, which musical direction each one leads and so on. But for the listener it doesn´t matter more or less, if i play a tele or a es335 - apart from the visual impression.
    What do you think?

User Info Menu

I fully agree that the feel and response of a guitar makes all the difference for me as a player. Actually, when I play different guitars they sound like night and day to me, but hearing recordings back the difference is a lot less than I experienced while playing. But how I experience the guitar dictates how I am influenced and inspired (or sometimes limited) by it. I am sure there’s also psychology to it: if I think I am playing a ‘real jazz guitar’ my playing becomes a lot more jazzy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    I fully agree that the feel and response of a guitar makes all the difference for me as a player. Actually, when I play different guitars they sound like night and day to me, but hearing recordings back the difference is a lot less than I experienced while playing. But how I experience the guitar dictates how I am influenced and inspired (or sometimes limited) by it. I am sure there’s also psychology to it: if I think I am playing a ‘real jazz guitar’ my playing becomes a lot more jazzy
    Every word you say- same here!

User Info Menu

They all sounded different to me, but I'd be happy listening to any of them. L5 my favourite.

The fralin p92 was a nice surprise. Sounded great.

Thoughts on the different string gauges used?

User Info Menu

Amazing playing. To me the Danocaster sounds best but I‘m a nerd for Tellys

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Eff
    Amazing playing. To me the Danocaster sounds best but I‘m a nerd for Tellys
    Thank you! The Dano sounds a little bit thinner than the others, but it has a great tone and an overall great feel. To get a fat jazztone with teles I sometimes use a Marshall Bluesbreaker pedal and turn the vol on the guitar down to 5-7: more mids. Guitar is all about the mids. Especially jazzguitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Amberville
    They all sounded different to me, but I'd be happy listening to any of them. L5 my favourite.

The fralin p92 was a nice surprise. Sounded great.

Thoughts on the different string gauges used?
    fatter strings have a better jazztone. Overdrive and distortion works the other way round- the fatter the strings, the harder to get a good tone. Bending and vibrato is harder.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bartosh
    Thank you! The Dano sounds a little bit thinner than the others, but it has a great tone and an overall great feel. To get a fat jazztone with teles I sometimes use a Marshall Bluesbreaker pedal and turn the vol on the guitar down to 5-7: more mids. Guitar is all about the mids. Especially jazzguitar.
    Cool, yes I do the same: upping the mids, especially on Fender BF/SF amps, on those I just put mids on 10. Works for a better jazz tone but also for better overdriven tones.

I have several pedals that deliver that desired effect: the old fashioned Tubescreamer (but that also reduces the low frequencies a bit), MXR graphic eq, Joyo American Sound. (Putting a 25k mid pot in a Fender amp also works wonders).