The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Just messing with some Emerald recording on a ridiculously humid day. After weeks of recording tests I'm entirely lost but having fun This is the X10 running through my Milkman head. Sounds great in the room and nothing at all like the room when I record it.

EDIT 07/17/21: I think this is probably a lot better than what I posted yesterday. Same recording just a lot less processing.

Last edited by Jim Soloway; 07-17-2021 at 03:54 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What’s Emerald, Jim?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    What’s Emerald, Jim?
    An Irish builder who specialize in Carbon Graphite guitars. Emerald Guitars - Custom Carbon Fibre Instruments I have two of them, an X10 and an X7.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    An Irish builder who specialize in Carbon Graphite guitars. Emerald Guitars - Custom Carbon Fibre Instruments I have two of them, an X10 and an X7.
    I didn't know about these. They make a 7 string that looks really cool! And your sound clip seems to showcase fine tone with great sustain.

As I'm currently selling a few pieces I no longer need, I may have to adopt a basic black Emerald 7 when my Carvin 7 finds a new home. I'm going to contact Emerald to see if they can add a Ghost module to the piezo system so I can drive my Roland synthesizer with it. How do these guitars project acoustically?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    I didn't know about these. They make a 7 string that looks really cool! And your sound clip seems to showcase fine tone with great sustain.

As I'm currently selling a few pieces I no longer need, I may have to adopt a basic black Emerald 7 when my Carvin 7 finds a new home. I'm going to contact Emerald to see if they can add a Ghost module to the piezo system so I can drive my Roland synthesizer with it. How do these guitars project acoustically?
    Pretty well depending on how they're strung. I have mine set up with very light flat wounds with low action like I would on an electric archtop so the acoustic voice is quite small but it came to me with a standard acoustic setup and sounding very even and quite loud.

User Info Menu

My acoustics get kinda dead sounding when the humidity gets high. Used to have a RainSong but no longer.

User Info Menu

I have been watching for a good review / demo of his "Kestrel" archtop. It's not clear how the tailpiece is attached nor am I sure if there is room for silk wrap ball end strings. I have not seen a good jazz style demo. In the photos I have seen it's difficult to see a good photo showing the top and it's curves.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    I have been watching for a good review / demo of his "Kestrel" archtop. It's not clear how the tailpiece is attached nor am I sure if there is room for silk wrap ball end strings. I have not seen a good jazz style demo. In the photos I have seen it's difficult to see a good photo showing the top and it's curves.
    Hi Danielle. I've just put a clip back into the OP. It's actually the same recording of my X10 but with a lot less processing on it. I get so wrapped up in the testing process that I kind of lose sight of what it is supposed to sound like but I think this is not bad. I'm not sure how it would compare to a Kestrel.

Last edited by Jim Soloway; 07-17-2021 at 03:43 PM.

User Info Menu

Hi Danielle. I've just put a clip back into the OP. It's actually the same recording of my X10 but with a lot less processing on it. I get so wrapped up in the testing process that I kind of lose sight of what it is supposed to sound like but I think this is not bad. I'm not sure how it would compare to a Kestrel.

Although I do not recall the exact models I have a friend who plays Emerald guitars. He does a lot of elderly housing gigs and really appreciates the associated guitar stability. He usually plays them with a fast folk finger picking style of play. E:G: "Freight Train". So it was interesting to hear the clip with a little more time to savor individual notes and chords.

User Info Menu

Jim, have you managed to get a great direct sound with your emerald?