The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This is an interesting guitar that I've never seen before in my brief history with archtops.

Quick video clip sounds great to my ears.

Anyone know about these?

1953 Guild X-300 Semi-Hollow AE New York Factory OHSC 1953 Guild X-300 Semi-Hollow AE New York Factory OHSC | C.A. | Reverb
    Last edited by DMgolf66; 07-16-2021 at 08:25 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sold already!

User Info Menu

I guess since it's sold the subject might be of little interest, but I have two 17" '53 Guilds similar but "lower tier" models (X-100 and X-150) that are excellent guitars.

I strongly suspected that this X-300 was refinished simply because every Guild I've seen from this era has significant finish checking and this had none.

That said the early NY Guilds have 25.5" scales and usually bigger necks than those that came after the move to Hoboken.
    Somewhat thick tops and great Franz pickups combine to make excellent fully electric archtop guitars.

Unfortunately they also tend to suffer from deteriorating binding issues that can be a real problem.
    I've had one of mine rebound and a second is in the shop for the same.
    I'll never get that money back but these guitars need to stay in playable condition and circulation!

Guild X-300.....????-d533b0df-76e7-4603-9013-4cd4336bb595_1_201_a-jpg

User Info Menu

I love that finish. Looks like my 1950 ES-150.

How do you compare those sound wise to similar period ES-125 & 150s?

User Info Menu

I appreciate the appreciations!

People are often not so aware of the NY era Guilds.....the noncutaway X-100 in particular is often a surprise for some.
    Many comment on how much its overall proportions remind them of the 17" Epiphones of the era.

I do have a '50 ES-300 and '52 ES-150 to compare them to.
    I love the sound of these Guilds and the Gibsons, so no superlatives implied...I like each for being different.

Actually the difference between the thicker topped ES-300 and the thinner topped ES-150 is noteworthy but thats another subject altogether!

Generally speaking, the Guild Franz pickups have brighter trebles and upper mids than the original P-90's on the Gibsons.
    They're articulate and less thick toned I suppose, but they are very well balanced bottom to top and and that makes them a pleasure to hear and play. I'd think a guitar with Franz pickups might also sit well in the mix when ensemble playing.

But no real concern for players that like a warm sound....It's easy get that with tone and volume controls, so I like their versatility.

User Info Menu

Thank you! Wonderful insight.
    Long story short, I have a NGD coming for the guitar I posted above. Look forward to receiving it this week. At that point I will have to make a decision between back guitar the 125 and the 150 I have can only keep one!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zizala
    I appreciate the appreciations!

People are often not so aware of the NY era Guilds.....the noncutaway X-100 in particular is often a surprise for some.
    Many comment on how much its overall proportions remind them of the 17" Epiphones of the era.

I do have a '50 ES-300 and '52 ES-150 to compare them to.
    I love the sound of these Guilds and the Gibsons, so no superlatives implied...I like each for being different.

Actually the difference between the thicker topped ES-300 and the thinner topped ES-150 is noteworthy but thats another subject altogether!

Generally speaking, the Guild Franz pickups have brighter trebles and upper mids than the original P-90's on the Gibsons.
    They're articulate and less thick toned I suppose, but they are very well balanced bottom to top and and that makes them a pleasure to hear and play. I'd think a guitar with Franz pickups might also sit well in the mix when ensemble playing.

But no real concern for players that like a warm sound....It's easy get that with tone and volume controls, so I like their versatility.
    Really nice instruments !!!

What are the nut widths and scales for each ? I'd have already jumped on one of these, but eventually gave up looking for one because they'd be perfect except for the narrow nut width and short scales. Are these wide nut Guilds always going to be where I can't seem to find one ?

Good for you !!

User Info Menu

DMgolf66....

I hope you love that X-300.
    It's uncommon and certainly a good looker!

Dennis D

These have 25.5" scale lengths.
    NY built Guilds will probably all have the long scale as far as I know.

Guild moved to the 24.75 after the move to Hoboken, but some early Hoboken guitars were started in NY and completed in Hoboken. Because of this sometimes (but not often) a 25.5 scale can be found on certain 17" Guilds even in the later 50's. (But always check first if it's a concern when buying).

My two above have a nut width that sits between 1 11/16" and 1 3/4".
    Pretty close to the 1 3/4" side.