The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 27

User Info Menu

When I bought my archtop it came with some flat wound strings on, which were really flat, I mean the E bass was like a tagliatelle pasta. Since then I couldn't find anything remotely close to that. I wonder if I could get some help from the forum on my quest finding these flattest flat-wound strings and reuniting them with their long lost buddy, my Ibanez. Thank you!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If your guitar is an Ibanez, then it probably came with some D'Addario Chromes (ECG24).

I bought it used so I don't think these were factory strings, they were also almost brand new. I have put the D'addario flat wounds 12 on my tele and they are not the same thickness, the ones I'm talking about were really flat.

User Info Menu

The "flattest" flatwounds I've tried are LaBella tape wounds, which are also very low tension and feel noodle-like compared to Chromes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    The "flattest" flatwounds I've tried are LaBella tape wounds, which are also very low tension and feel noodle-like compared to Chromes.
    How do they sound compared to Chromes on the same guitar?

User Info Menu

Can you get flatter than flat?

User Info Menu

Do you perhaps mean low tension? Flatness and tension are not the same things, but from the OP it sort of appears that low tension is what was wanted. Strings are round, and I've never seen any that are the shape of tagliatelle. But most flatwound strings look pretty much the same, using flat windings. Some are much stiffer than others, though. Tomastik-Infeld flatwound strings tend to be low tension, and rather floppy on the guitar. Some like that, some don't. LaBella tapewounds are very floppy, and sound that way. Chromes are much brighter in comparison, although still not 'bright'. Tapewounds tend to thud instead of ring. The Pizzarellis use(d) tapes on most of their archtops.

Perhaps they were also low tension as well, I can't recall. But what impressed me was their physical shape, was flat like noodles. Ok, I'm exaggerating just a bit, but it's true they were flattened out compared to the Tomastik flats I have now put on and also the Chromes that I have on my other guitar.

User Info Menu

I have never, ever, seen guitar strings that weren't round. I've seen some that were worn by frets, but never new strings that were not round. I've been seeing guitar strings for about 70 years, and they were all round. I would not even consider using any strings that were not perfectly round.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I have never, ever, seen guitar strings that weren't round. I've seen some that were worn by frets, but never new strings that were not round. I've been seeing guitar strings for about 70 years, and they were all round. I would not even consider using any strings that were not perfectly round.
    They wouldn't work either because they wouldn't vibrate evenly...

User Info Menu

Noodle, yes, but tagliatelle?

User Info Menu

OP can you post a picture?

Unfortunately no, because I stupidly took them off without asking the seller what strings she had put on the guitar.

They looked like those labella tapes but they weren't black, just normal silvery colour

Labella Jazz Tapes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    How do they sound compared to Chromes on the same guitar?
    It has been a while, and I disliked the feel of the LaBella's so much that I took them off almost immediately. So I'm not sure my memory is reliable, but I think the Chromes (when brand new) are a little brighter. At some point I'll go back to the LaBella's in a heavier gauge to offset their floppiness, but at the moment I have a few sets of Chromes on hand.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Grigoris
    Unfortunately no, because I stupidly took them off without asking the seller what strings she had put on the guitar.

They looked like those labella tapes but they weren't black, just normal silvery colour

Labella Jazz Tapes
    The LaBella's I'm talking about are silver colored. On second thoughts, I may have meant the LaBella Jazz Flats (not Tape Wounds). I'll try to figure that out and report back.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Noodle, yes, but tagliatelle?
    More like fettucine. Last time I made pasta carbonara I didn't read the package carefully accidentally used guitar strings instead of fettucine. Molto al dente.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Have you heard me sing?

User Info Menu

More like fettucine. Last time I made pasta carbonara I didn't read the package carefully accidentally used guitar strings instead of fettucine. Molto al dente.
    For that really chewy tone?

User Info Menu

Then you're probably gonna love string cheese!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark

Sure-just take a set of Thomastik Infeld, place them on the nearest railway track and wait for the 5:15 Express.

User Info Menu

Is that why they say to boil old strings, makes em easier to eat?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B
    Sure-just take a set of Thomastik Infeld, place them on the nearest railway track and wait for the 5:15 Express.
    I can hear the boys now : " Well, the 5:15 Express would've been a more valid test but it wasn't available, so the 3:45 Ipswitch-to-Kensington was diverted and used for the test. The test however was to prove moot, because it was concluded that, despite being untuned to pitch, due to their superior construction and design, the TI's exerted no tension whatsoever, and were therefore unaffected by the downward forces exerted by the rolling wheel of the engine, and could not therefore be flattened any further........."

......(( 'now about their round, non-hex core - -' )) : )

User Info Menu

The LaBella's I'm talking about are silver colored. On second thoughts, I may have meant the LaBella Jazz Flats (not Tape Wounds). I'll try to figure that out and report back.
    I found another pack that came with the guitar. They're definitely LaBella Jazz Tapes, guage 12, and they're black, not silver.

I Interpreted the OP to mean smoothest surfaced when he said "flattest", compared to the texture of Chromes and TIs.
    But I guess others think he meant flat, as in squashed. Smooth, the LaBellas are, but the shape of spaghetti, not tagliatelle.

User Info Menu

I found another pack that came with the guitar. They're definitely LaBella Jazz Tapes, guage 12, and they're black, not silver.

I Interpreted the OP to mean smoothest surfaced when he said "flattest", compared to the texture of Chromes and TIs.
    But I guess others think he meant flat, as in squashed. Smooth, the LaBellas are, but the shape of spaghetti, not tagliatelle.
    I never considered this before, and it seems pretty far fetched to me. Is it possible that anyone thinks "flat wound" means strings that have been flattened into long thin ribbons after winding, or that the term "tape wound" means a string flattened into the form of a long thin tape?

User Info Menu

By flat do you mean that the surface is uniformly smooth and unindented? As mentioned, guitar strings aren't flat, they're round. Use your brain and fingers for a few seconds.