The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 56 of 56

User Info Menu

OK, I have now heard a couple demos, and read a few owner's reports (from people who also own vintage Supers), and this one is on my shopping list. Reports the 1W setting is "magical", and fine for home use. Everyone agrees the .5W setting is a bit anemic, but that's been the same with any solid state amp I have ever played.

If the 1W setting on the TMSR get's that "magic" the vintage Super needs to be loud to achieve, I'm in. The Super has always been a holy grail amp for me, but again- too loud to get the goods at anywhere near home volume. And while I do gig, 95% of my playing is done at home volumes.

Fender may have indeed "built a better mousetrap" with the TM Series. And I own a Roland Blues Cube Artist- fantastic amp- but it's not a Super (even with the proper Tone Capsule, which does have a Super Reverb in it), can't sound like one with a small, Deluxe-sized, 1x12 cab. 4x10 it it's own thing.

I still want a TM Vibro-King... WITH THE REVERB TANK BUILT IN.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I didn't think these were actually available yet? Musicians Friend told me end of July

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    OK, I have now heard a couple demos, and read a few owner's reports (from people who also own vintage Supers), and this one is on my shopping list. Reports the 1W setting is "magical", and fine for home use. Everyone agrees the .5W setting is a bit anemic, but that's been the same with any solid state amp I have ever played.

If the 1W setting on the TMSR get's that "magic" the vintage Super needs to be loud to achieve, I'm in. The Super has always been a holy grail amp for me, but again- too loud to get the goods at anywhere near home volume. And while I do gig, 95% of my playing is done at home volumes.

Fender may have indeed "built a better mousetrap" with the TM Series. And I own a Roland Blues Cube Artist- fantastic amp- but it's not a Super (even with the proper Tone Capsule, which does have a Super Reverb in it), can't sound like one with a small, Deluxe-sized, 1x12 cab. 4x10 it it's own thing.

I still want a TM Vibro-King... WITH THE REVERB TANK BUILT IN.
    If my experience with the Tone Master Twin Reverb is any indication, you'd be very happy. I often play in my office on the 1 watt setting and the tone is great, but I don't get complaints from offices beside, above, or below me.. certainly not from across town, which is what a Twin Reverb is capable of.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Great price if it's in good order. But it's still heavier. And still has to be cranked way too loud to "get the goods".

User Info Menu

I had the Fender ToneMaster Twin Blonde and only returned it to try a Revv G20 due to the inbuilt Two Notes Speaker emulation. I decided playing with my headphones with the Fender Micro Mustang would be sufficient sound wise when I need to travel. I also missed having a bit more headroom and a distinctly Fender clean. Though the G20 was very flexible tone pot wise and sounded great for it's own thing(Brutal Gain).

I have the Fender Super Reverb Tone Master and it feels and sounds heaps better than the Mustang III Version 2 I had years ago. I also had a nice Fender Concert II handwired but the volume taper was very sensitive and it was soooo loud to get it up to where it wanted to be to breathe properly it was also very heavy to move around.

A 1x12 produces a bit of bass alone in my practice room and cutting too much can sometimes thin out the treble strings. While the 4x10's can definitely push bass you can use the bright switch to cut some(sounds nice with pedals) and you can warm it up when needed either on the amp or the tone control of your guitar.

You can also play very clean at practice room volumes and get some nice grit when attenuated also at typical home practice (neighbors nearby) volume. They did have a vintage 68 Super Reverb at the Guitar Center but it was sold before I got to AB that and the Tone Master side by side. Would have been interesting as it also had Jensen Alnicos.

I definitely like this better than the Twin Tone Master. Only because with the Super regardless of the attenuation level it gets a bit hairy after 7 on the volume control and does really nice sort of blues and grit tones though the Twin Blonde sounded nice with pedals. It does a good job with myUAFX pedals get really ambient spacious sounds which I find amusing from time to time. It also plays really well with fingers for a big warm jazz style with a soft touch of course as it gets hairy on the note with aggressive playing, but if you want bigger cleans could put it on 45w mode and get more headroom, it is modeled after a Super and not a Twin so there would I imagine be less headroom available.

Overall pleased so far and practicing quite a bit without worrying about getting a good tone but just enjoying playing which I think is what it's all about for me these days.