The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 56

User Info Menu

For those who think the TMDR is underpowered at 22w and those that don't want the full power of the TMTR, Fender have just announced the release of the Tone Master Super Reverb.
    Like the TMTR it has a bright switch and mid control.... 4x10" will push a lot of air
    Looks good to me!

Fender’s Super Reverb gets a solid-state reboot, joins the Tone Master amplifier series | Guitar.com | All Things Guitar

https://www.fender.com/en-US/guitar-...274300000.html

Typo corrected
    Last edited by Ray175; 07-09-2021 at 03:23 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Super REVERB.

User Info Menu

It's interesting that it's got alnico speakers, not the neo speakers they use in the other Tonemaster amps.
    Given that one of the main (if not the main) selling points of these amps is the weight reduction compared to the tube versions, a 4 x10 cab with neo speakers would have been the more expected choice.

User Info Menu

36 lbs? my vox ac4hw weighs almost as much. if those are 45 for reallys watts and not like solid state watts, and the volume and tone is there, i'd call that impressive.

can't say i expected there to demand for a 410, but whatever. if it's cool, it's cool. the super reverb is one of the better fender models in amplitube, so i hope that carries over to this digital version, too.

User Info Menu

The original Super Reverb was one of the greatest amplifiers, ever. I have high hopes for the Tone Master Super Reverb--alnico or no.

User Info Menu

Fender's specs had me at "Four Jensen P-10R alnico speakers...". Yea baby!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Fender's specs had me at "Four Jensen P-10R alnico speakers...". Yea baby!
    Yeah, I like Jensen Alnico speakers. I was just surprised they didn't take the maximal weight cutting route. I'm glad they didn't. Alinco's aren't that heavy anyway (though heavier than neo's).

I have a 67 Super Reverb it is indeed very Superb!!! I think its my fifth one in life.

User Info Menu

I've already got a Tonemaster Deluxe but I'm incredibly tempted by this!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Yeah, I like Jensen Alnico speakers. I was just surprised they didn't take the maximal weight cutting route. I'm glad they didn't. Alinco's aren't that heavy anyway (though heavier than neo's).
    Actually, a P10R weighs a little less than a 10" Tornado Neo. It also costs less, unless it's the P10R-F version developed for Fender expressly. The power handling is just 25W max. against Torndo's 100W, but apparently sufficient in the 4x10 configuration.

Edit: Interesting that they now announce the power as 44 watts, when with the first Tone Masters they spoke about XXX digitial watts equivalent to yy tube watts.
    Last edited by Gitterbug; 07-09-2021 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Further speculation

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    Super REVERB.
    Brain, fingers and eyes reconnected - typo corrected

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    Actually, a P10R weighs a little less than a 10" Tornado Neo. It also costs less, unless it's the P10R-F version developed for Fender expressly. The power handling is just 25W max. against Torndo's 100W, but apparently sufficient in the 4x10 configuration.

Edit: Interesting that they now announce the power as 44 watts, when with the first Tone Masters they spoke about XXX digitial watts equivalent to yy tube watts.
    The P10R is a very light speaker indeed, I used it in my 5F1 Champ. I think it sounds superb! It is also surprisingly loud inspite of a rather low 95.1dB efficiency/sensitivity listing (I suspect because the speaker has good midrange and not a lot of bass, so little energy is waisted on producing the low frequencies).

The whole ‘digital watts’ versus ‘tube watts’ is confusing…. I guess Fender wants to stay close to the specs of the original models, but the comparison is more complicated than that. I suspect they have a negative current feedback circuit on the output to simulate the effect of an output transformer (which is actually responsible for the character of a tube amp, not the tubes themselves!).

User Info Menu

Yes, sensitivity alone doesn't reveal how loud a speaker is. If you look at the response curves, sensitivity varies with frequency and may exceed 100 dB even if the average remains well below. The human ear is not linear either. Jensen's 12" BlackBird 40 AlNiCo is a case in point. Its articulate trebles cut through and the 96.5dB speaker sounds louder than the 98.5dB 12" Tornado on the same volume setting. The P10R-F is super sweet sounding. I have mounted a couple, one on a TOOB 10T, the other on a 10S. Both are in frequent use by pro musicians. High on my wishlist is a 10" version of the BB 40 AlNiCo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay;[URL="tel:1133193"
    1133193[/URL]]
    The whole ‘digital watts’ versus ‘tube watts’ is confusing…. I guess Fender wants to stay close to the specs of the original models, but the comparison is more complicated than that. I suspect they have a negative current feedback circuit on the output to simulate the effect of an output transformer (which is actually responsible for the character of a tube amp, not the tubes themselves!).
    they actually go as far as listing something to the effect of "equivalent to x tube watts" in the specs for another amp in this line, but no such indication for this particular model. Curious.

And it's listed at running at 4 ohms, or 2 ohms; something unusually low. I wonder what that means. That's usually bass territory. Could it be a speaker thing? Or is something else going on here?

User Info Menu

The Class D technology apparently allows for 2 ohm loads. Quite common in car audio. I'd stay out. Probability of frying either the amp or cab is higher. Fender's Ultra-light jazz head was also rated down to 2 ohms, which in music practice would require daisy-chaining two 4-ohm speakers or four 8-ohmers. Those amps had a habit of dying.

But yes, have they revealed the speakers specs? The P10R comes in 4, 8 or 16 ohms.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    The original Super Reverb was one of the greatest amplifiers, ever. I have high hopes for the Tone Master Super Reverb--alnico or no.
    Agreed!!! Too big, too heavy, too loud. Fender has fixed 2 of the 3, and "big" isn't nearly as bad when "heavy" isn't attached to it.

Come on Fender! Do it again! Do it again! Make a TM Vibro-King!!!

User Info Menu

Scanning "new posts" this AM, this got my attention! I had 4 - 10" speakers in my PV Classic 50 and I have to say, if you've never played through an open-back 4 x 10" combo, you really ought to try it. With tilt-back legs (or my own cobbled arrangements) there are few set-ups that make for more room-filling sound that is simultaneously non-beamy. The onstage fullness is palpable, and the audience hears great tone minus the ear-aches. Also, the PV weighed 66 lbs, so anything under 40 lbs would be great. Were I still able to gig, something like this would be very high on my TBAPH*list.

* To Be Acquired Post-Haste **

** I just made that up!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    The Class D technology apparently allows for 2 ohm loads. Quite common in car audio. I'd stay out. Probability of frying either the amp or cab is higher. Fender's Ultra-light jazz head was also rated down to 2 ohms, which in music practice would require daisy-chaining two 4-ohm speakers or four 8-ohmers. Those amps had a habit of dying.

But yes, have they revealed the speakers specs? The P10R comes in 4, 8 or 16 ohms.
    If I#m not mistaken the original Super Reverb had an output impedance of 2 Ohms.

You are correct. SR are 2 Ohms.

User Info Menu

I guess we all are brand centric and bravo for Fender figuring out. But I can honestly say after trying some of the Tonemaster series amps. While very good especially with different speakers than their stock Neos, l prefer the Quilter Aviator amps and TB 202.

Quilters offer more power in a lighter more compact package and just as pleasing if not more so than the Tonemaster offerings.
    I do get that this is somewhat subjective and only my opinion. But compare them side by side, especially on a gig if possible.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    I guess we all are brand centric and bravo for Fender figuring out. But I can honestly say after trying some of the Tonemaster series amps. While very good especially with different speakers than their stock Neos, l prefer the Quilter Aviator amps and TB 202.

Quilters offer more power in a lighter more compact package and just as pleasing if not more so than the Tonemaster offerings.
    I do get that this is somewhat subjective and only my opinion. But compare them side by side, especially on a gig if possible.
    I've had both and I can see how someone would have this view. I found the Quilter controls quirky, and liked the Fender Twin vibe, but I would not be able to tell them apart sound-wise with equivalent speakers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57

I have an Aviator Twin Ten and also a Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb
    They are both superb amps.

The Quilter has its own sound. It 'kind of' sounds like a Fender, but has heaps more mid-range. If EQ'd right, it can sound very tweed-like. Those early Kenny Burrell sounds are in there.

The TM Deluxe to my ears sounds like a really good old-school Deluxe Reverb. If I want that blackface "Fender" sound - that's the amp. The Quilter doesn't really do that sound.

If I want something different with a bit more range presence, the Quilter is the amp. It also has a lot more headroom and volume than the Fender. It's rare I'd need that kind of power for the gigs I do, but it's nice to have it there. Another thing the Quilter has is a 'hi-cut' control... I wish every amp had that. It cuts the high trebles. You can get a convincing jazz sound out of almost anything using that.

Either amp is a good choice.
    Last edited by entresz; 07-11-2021 at 09:24 PM.

User Info Menu

If executed as well as the TMDR and TMTR, this will be an amazing amp. My '66 Super Reverb has the voice of angels and has been my trusty companion for many decades. I took it to a reputable tech in my area a couple yers ago for routine maintenance and he tried to convince me to sell it to him. Nope. Lifetime amp. Hopefully the new TM version has some of this mojo.

Tone Master Super Reverb announced-super-reverb-1-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feet
    can't say i expected there to demand for a 410, but whatever.
    Are you kidding? Just look at it! Who wouldn't want that?

From a practical viewpoint, that's a lot of surface area to drive. I'm guessing you need a minimum venue size to get the full tonal potential, more than my room.

I had an old Super Reverb a few years ago. It was heavy and awesome, but I could barely use any volume with it before it was overwhelming. Years earlier I played venues where a Super or a Twin was the right size. Those days are gone. I now have a 1980s Fender Concert wired by Rivera with a 12" speaker. That amp weighs 60 lbs, more than the new Super Reverb.

If the Super Reverb sounds good at lower volumes, I may be interested though. That would be great.

User Info Menu

I'm gonna go way out on a limb here and predict that this fails commercially. I hope not, but it's just my gut feeling.