The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

I know, another "what pickup you recommend" thread.
    Apologies, but wanted to see an updated thread with maybe
    a few new/updated responses.
    So, I picked up a 2006 AR805ce with the black floating pickup that has
    "Eastman" inscribed on the cover. I was told these were their standard, overseas made, Armstrong pickups.
    I know a great many folks like to upgrade to the 12-pole custom Armstrong (which I have on another guitar), but was wondering if anyone
    has tried anything a little more off the beaten path......maybe a floating Charlie Christian, a Dearmond reissue, etc.
    Would love to get some recommendations from Eastman owners.

Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Depends on the sound you want. Do you want a CC sound? A DeArmond sound?

User Info Menu

I’m a huge fan of the Biltoft floating CC. It’s articulate, sounds lush and looks great. The Creamery CC from the UK sounds amazing as well. Rob has a video up doing a very nice demo of his on an Eastman, I believe. Really nice sounding.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Depends on the sound you want. Do you want a CC sound? A DeArmond sound?
    Ha, yes, that does seem to be an important question.
    Not sure I have an answer yet. I know the Eastmans have a certain profile
    in their sound that is,in general, a bit brighter. So maybe something that might be on the warmer side but still clear?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    Ha, yes, that does seem to be an important question.
    Not sure I have an answer yet. I know the Eastmans have a certain profile
    in their sound that is,in general, a bit brighter. So maybe something that might be on the warmer side but still clear?
    I have an Eastman carved top, yes they are bright. My own opinion (and only moo) is that the DeArmond sound would work great. Kent Armstrong makes a floating single coil that is supposed to sound like the DeArmond 1100 but better shielded. And it has 3 connectors so you can select your impedance, or even install a mini switch under the guard to have both. AND it looks closer to your original.

Scroll down on the page below just little bit to "Armstrong Handmade Floating Single Coil -Versatile Vintage Tone"

ac accessories

User Info Menu

I have both an AR810 as well as an 18" AR910, I have had great results with either the Duncan or Lollar made Johnny Smith floating humbuckers. I really can't say one has an edge over the other, they're both great. Pete Biltoft can build you a great pickup too, I have one of his CC floaters on another Eastman and it sounds great too. I can really recommend any of them over the old stock pickup.

Doug

User Info Menu

Interested also. I would like to change the floating pickup on my Peerless Martin Taylor Virtuoso.
    It's not horrible, but the overall acoustic quality of the Virtuoso deserves a really good pickup in my opinion.
    Like Eastmans, I have one, it's a little on the bright side, so a warm sounding floating pickup would be better.
    The best option I've found is maybe the Lollar Johnny Smith.
    I would also like to add a tone + a volume pot (the MT as only a thumb wheel volume) + a cap, that I would mount on the top.
    What pot values and cap are better suited for that kind of pickup?
    (Excuse me if I'm a bit off subject here)

User Info Menu

I like my AZ49 (?) Shadow Pickup.

It's always in need of boost pedal to clear the mud, but once it's got that special combination--nice tone while still allowing the acoustics to breath and blend at lower volumes.

I have an AR803, so it's a mounted pickup. Eastmans are a little tricky to get right, but once you do... knocks all the listeners away. I always get compliments on my tone live, not sure if it comes through in my recordings.

I also use heavier strings--mixed set. 14 up top, 52 at the bottom. All round wound.

My Eastman is a kind of a Frankenstein's Monster of a guitar, but it does what I want it to do well enough to keep it around for years to come.

User Info Menu

Gutted the electronics. Put in a AZ49 Shadow Pickup, because of Jimmy Raney. New wiring with "vintage" paper caps and better pots, forgot--I did a lot of this work over a decade ago. Have to look it up again...

Biggest change on the tone of the guitar came down to two additions:

1. Refret--had John Carruthers put in taller and thicker gauge frets.

2. Boost Pedal -- allows me to "clear the mud" and really utilize the volume knob as the tone control of my guitar--the tone knob stays totally open (?) and maxed out.

User Info Menu

I have an Eastman carved top, yes they are bright. My own opinion (and only moo) is that the DeArmond sound would work great. Kent Armstrong makes a floating single coil that is supposed to sound like the DeArmond 1100 but better shielded. And it has 3 connectors so you can select your impedance, or even install a mini switch under the guard to have both. AND it looks closer to your original.

Scroll down on the page below just little bit to "Armstrong Handmade Floating Single Coil -Versatile Vintage Tone"

ac accessories
    As luck would have it, I found this on Reverb an hour after it was posted. It was meant to be!
    Will arrive Saturday.

Kent Armstrong Handwound Series Resin Cast P-90 Floating Archtop Pickup Kent Armstrong Handwound Series Resin Cast P-90 Floating | Reverb

User Info Menu

ac accessories
    As I mentioned, I was lucky enough to find one new on Reverb for a great price. I have the guitar at the luthier to install, but was hoping for some feedback on the "pros/cons", differences, qualities of the 2 different impedances (8 vs. 13) to choose from. I don't think I want to have a toggle switch installed. Its just me playing at home thru an amp and would like to keep costs down if I can.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PickingMyEars
    Gutted the electronics. Put in a AZ49 Shadow Pickup, because of Jimmy Raney. New wiring with "vintage" paper caps and better pots, forgot--I did a lot of this work over a decade ago. Have to look it up again...

Biggest change on the tone of the guitar came down to two additions:

1. Refret--had John Carruthers put in taller and thicker gauge frets.

2. Boost Pedal -- allows me to "clear the mud" and really utilize the volume knob as the tone control of my guitar--the tone knob stays totally open (?) and maxed out.

I had a factory fitted Zoller neck mount on my Fenix EER - a - like. The top e string was so quiet with that pickup it was unusable so, just as an experiment, put on a cheap lbanez ceramic mini HB. It's so much better. I have an Alnico version to try when I get round to it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    As luck would have it, I found this on Reverb an hour after it was posted. It was meant to be!
    Will arrive Saturday.

Kent Armstrong Handwound Series Resin Cast P-90 Floating Archtop Pickup Kent Armstrong Handwound Series Resin Cast P-90 Floating | Reverb
    That's a good price, congrats. Even if you don't like it, you should be able to flip it.