The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

So I thought I'd give it a try tonight. Had to crank the gain and vol to around 3 o'clock (roughly 3/4 full blast). No solos, just rhythm and comping, with some lick fills here and there. Worked out fine, stayed pretty clean. But I had to turn the highs up more than at home to bring out clarity. Had my Quilter in the car just in case. Can't tell what would have happened with a solo. (That was unusual tonight, usually I get two or three, but we had a singer sitting in for a bunch of tunes.)

For reference, I've been told by other local big band musicians that we are kinda loud:

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Fun band!

An extension cab -- even a small 1x8 [Raezer's Edge, etc] -- would help your volume.

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Fun band!

An extension cab -- even a small 1x8 [Raezer's Edge, etc] -- would help your volume.
    Thanks Marc. My point in trying out the Bud last night was for downsizing. If I have to carry an extension cab with it, I might as well just keep using the little Quilter combo.
    I do have (2) Raezers Edge 12 ER's at home, and the Bud does sound really fantastic through them.

User Info Menu

Yeah I feel more presence is needed by the guitar amp in a band like that. I used to play in a big band and eventually settled on using a bigger amp (i.e. speaker size) more quietly vs. cutting by being louder on a small amp. I settled on mostly using my 12" Henriksen Alfresco open-back. I also had good experiences with the RE8, but anything smaller just didn't work well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    So I thought I'd give it a try tonight. Had to crank the gain and vol to around 3 o'clock (roughly 3/4 full blast). No solos, just rhythm and comping, with some lick fills here and there. Worked out fine, stayed pretty clean. But I had to turn the highs up more than at home to bring out clarity. Had my Quilter in the car just in case. Can't tell what would have happened with a solo. (That was unusual tonight, usually I get two or three, but we had a singer sitting in for a bunch of tunes.)

For reference, I've been told by other local big band musicians that we are kinda loud:

Yeah, they're loud alright!
    BTW, I just got a call for my first show since the pandemic- "Legally Blonde". Have you ever played it? Are you guys starting up again up there?

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Yeah, they're loud alright!
    BTW, I just got a call for my first show since the pandemic- "Legally Blonde". Have you ever played it? Are you guys starting up again up there?
    I've done "Legally Blonde" twice. You're lucky, it's a fabulous show, probably my favorite. Everything from rocking out, to smoky jazz, and beautiful ballads. But start working on it *right away* if you can get the music early enough. And get the CD to play along with. It's a really tough one, many very difficult fingerings.. Out of the 30 or so shows I've played in my life, I think I had to work on that one the the most.

Legally Blonde Broadway Trailer - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niZta1nWUew

But now I have it solidly down under my fingers for the next time if that comes

(Maybe we should move this to "other styles.")
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 06-25-2021 at 08:07 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I've done "Legally Blonde" twice. You're lucky, it's a fabulous show, probably my favorite. Everything from rocking out, to smoky jazz, and beautiful ballads. But start working on it *right away* if you can get the music early enough. And get the CD to play along with. It's a really tough one, many very difficult fingerings.. Out of the 30 or so shows I've played in my life, I think I had to work on that one the the most.

Legally Blonde Broadway Trailer - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niZta1nWUew

But now I have it solidly down under my fingers for the next time if that comes

(Maybe we should move this to "other styles.")
    You're right; I already got the book two days ago.
    I don't understand the Overture. The second part is unplayable.
    They expect you to play 19 bars of continuous 8th notes at a very fast tempo in "One"? They have 10th position marked!
    I listened to the London cast recording,(which is one1/2 step higher in a lot of numbers) and the guitar player either didn't play it, or you can't hear him. How did you do it?
    I'm going to leave out that pedal D, and just play the other melody notes as quarter notes.

It took me a little while to get the intro to "Omigod You Guys" up to 163bpm, but I have it down. It makes a great picking exercise.
    The rest of it is tricky, but at least playable, if you shed it ten hours a day!