The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Hi,

Anyone have any experience with this new Ibanez archtop? Relatively new this year but looks great and I like the specs.

Cheers,
    Greg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gregj64
    Hi,

Anyone have any experience with this new Ibanez archtop? Relatively new this year but looks great and I like the specs.

Cheers,
    Greg

User Info Menu

Hi and welcome!
    The AF95 (no BS on the model number but yea thats its color code) is definitely a newer version. You can tell because the body back and sides are Nyotah not maple. It has a nice wood tailpiece too.
    Other than that its a AF95FM but no wheres near as pretty. (I have an AF95FM as a knock around, it punches way way above its 670$ weight.) The FM is maple back and sides, but a metal tailpiece. The FM is a yellow brown sunburst. Check out pix on Sweetwater, or Reverb or just google it. Its a striking good looker. Made in Indonesia for Ibanez, its close in quality to my MIJ AF200. Heck exactly... no!... but at its price IMHO the best sounding under 1000$ archtop out there. With TI JS 13 it thunks nicely.
    Honest considering the price and what i know of the AF200 i highly recommend it. Im sure the AF95BS is nice but i know what maple is, Nyotah not. (Citizenk74 hopefully will check in on Nyotah! He knows!)
    jk

User Info Menu

Thanks for the note. Super helpful. I thought about the 95FM but I’m drawn to the spruce and linden (basswood) of the new one. I love basswood and I know it will be darker. But man, you’re right the 95FM is way better looking. Glad to hear you like it.

I also appreciate the comment on the AF200. I’ve seriously thought about one but I play tele mostly and that’s a serious price for an archtop, at least for me.

If I get the Ibanez I’ll probably get a bone nut and maybe upgrade to the new resomax graph tech bridge. My friend did it and it was pretty noticeable. Doubt I’ll change the pickups as I like the super 58s I’ve played.

Thanks again for the great points.
    Greg

QUOTE=jazzkritter;1130254]Hi and welcome!
    The AF95 (no BS on the model number but yea thats its color code) is definitely a newer version. You can tell because the body back and sides are Nyotah not maple. It has a nice wood tailpiece too.
    Other than that its a AF95FM but no wheres near as pretty. (I have an AF95FM as a knock around, it punches way way above its 670$ weight.) The FM is maple back and sides, but a metal tailpiece. The FM is a yellow brown sunburst. Check out pix on Sweetwater, or Reverb or just google it. Its a striking good looker. Made in Indonesia for Ibanez, its close in quality to my MIJ AF200. Heck exactly... no!... but at its price IMHO the best sounding under 1000$ archtop out there. With TI JS 13 it thunks nicely.
    Honest considering the price and what i know of the AF200 i highly recommend it. Im sure the AF95BS is nice but i know what maple is, Nyotah not. (Citizenk74 hopefully will check in on Nyotah! He knows!)
    jk[/QUOTE]

User Info Menu

Glad it helped!
    What did the bridge swap net you tone wise? ( I use an ebony bridge on mine to keep it dark as possible.)
    Funny but the Super 58s are fine onbthe AF 95, but on the 200 i prefer Fralins.

User Info Menu

Good question. He had a tune O mastic with steel saddles. My guess is the ebony is just as good. It sounded fuller and clearer to me, and warmer.

Which Fralins? Big fan. Have his P90 bucker in a tele and love it.

QUOTE=jazzkritter;1130263]Glad it helped!
    What did the bridge swap net you tone wise? ( I use an ebony bridge on mine to keep it dark as possible.)
    Funny but the Super 58s are fine onbthe AF 95, but on the 200 i prefer Fralins.[/QUOTE]

User Info Menu

By Lindy’s advice and googling the Modern PAF. Insaw a whole lot of LP players complaining it was the warmest pickup they played lol. Its around 7k. I love the feel of playing it, very interactive and (i hate to use the word). ..organic. Tried SD jazz, DMarzio 36th, Lollar Imperial and Benedetto a6. I just dont see why people are bound to the Lollar, i didnt find it to have an interactive feel like the Fralin. As they say YMMV.

User Info Menu

Awesome. I’ll definitely try them! I’m with you. Lollar is fine. I have a Charlie Christian in a tele and it’s the best sounding pickup I’ve heard, but that might be because the guitar is a pine body. The only HB I’ve tried and liked was the recent one in the Eastman Romero, but only the bridge. The neck was ok but that bridge is great. Best single coil sounding HB I’ve heard. Emailed and asked if they are going to make those public, but said no. Special to the Romeo. Not the same as the imperials.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Hi and welcome!
    jk
    Thanks for the cite, but that's a new one on me. My experience is with North American hardwoods.

User Info Menu

I think no less of you!