The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have an Ibanez AFJ91 with the "floating" vol/tone controls. I noticed when I was working on it that the volume pot is pressing so hard into the top that it left a pretty big dent in the spruce. This is supposed to be a floating volume pot!
    How do I fix it so the pots don't touch the top? I want to maximize that lively, resonant quality. I haven't seen how the high end archtops deal with this problem, but are there "low-profile" pots that those builders are using in their pickguards?

Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Can you take a picture of the pickguard and bracket?

It shouldn't be pressing, but that's also not an area that's going to affect the tops vibration much.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ms80
    I have an Ibanez AFJ91 with the "floating" vol/tone controls. I noticed when I was working on it that the volume pot is pressing so hard into the top that it left a pretty big dent in the spruce. This is supposed to be a floating volume pot!
    How do I fix it so the pots don't touch the top? I want to maximize that lively, resonant quality. I haven't seen how the high end archtops deal with this problem, but are there "low-profile" pots that those builders are using in their pickguards?

Thanks!
    I would slide a bit of sheet cork or perhaps thickish felt to protect that area while shopping for thinner pots. As Jeff says, it's not likely to be impeding the top that much. Good luck!

User Info Menu

Ted McCarty got it right...mount the potentiometer on top of the fingerrest.
    Pickguard-mounted volume pot is touching top-height-better-jpg

User Info Menu

Benedetto put a felt block between the underside of the fingerrest and the top, glued to the underside of the former, which is tall enough to keep the potentiometer from touching the top. On my guitar, I used a wine cork cut to the appropriate height because I had one of those and didn't have a felt block.