The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

Having struggled with tuning on guitars with big string angles at the nut / headstock, I’ve always been wary of guitars without straight (or near straight) string pull.

But I don’t think I’ve ever seen an arch top with a straight string pull at the headstock.

Are there any arch tops with straight string pull headstock designs?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Heritage is straight-ish.

User Info Menu

Ken Parker's archtops certainly have straight string pull. The Benedetto design isn't really straight, but it's straighter than most. If the angle is too much for you on a particular guitar, the String Butler can deal with that, to some extent.

User Info Menu

Does the Gibson Pat Martino count or are you looking for a big box?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Gibson Pat Martino and any PRS come to mind.

User Info Menu

my old Ibz af120 has that type
    Archtop guitar headstocks with straight string pull?-13f8fdfb-32c7-4e48-8326-01059d5cbf30-jpeg

works good , nice neck

User Info Menu

The headstock PRS used on the JA-15 is straight: PRS JA-15 Paul Jackson Jr Signature Guitar | Fat Mans Shop | Reverb, as is the headstock they are more commonly known for: PRS Singlecut Archtop II Private Stock - McCarty Glow | John | Reverb

User Info Menu

Um, I *think* this is a guitar.

User Info Menu

A lot of the Peerless designs are straight strings.

User Info Menu

Thanks for everyone’s feedback.

There are some interesting design solutions out there. I think the pat martino gibson headstock is probably the best it terms of pure straight pull. And its aesthetics are growing on me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    Are you talking breakover angle (straight like a strat?) or angle off to the side?
    I was thinking mainly in terms of eliminating the side pull (which is where i’ve experienced tuning issues). Although i think a minimum breakover angle also matters.

User Info Menu

You are a genius! I never heard of this but it's brilliant. Thanks.

User Info Menu

You are a genius! I never heard of this but it's brilliant. Thanks.

Sorry! Something went wrong!

I ordered one. It's about $50 shipped. I got the V2, which should work with my Johnny A or my Heritage H-555, both with Bigsbys. The neck angle will still be an issue for staying in tune, but nut grease should take care of that.
    Last edited by Marty Grass; 06-23-2021 at 09:44 AM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I still have a couple of extra string butlers. They were on guitars I no longer own. I suppose I could put them on Reverb, but it's more trouble than it's worth, considering the rake Reverb takes. It's a quality product and solves a common problem. I just don't have the problem so much any more, because the guitars I have now don't have a wide headstock.

User Info Menu

With a straight pull, the strings will buzz in the nut. So, it is never done.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by icr
    With a straight pull, the strings will buzz in the nut. So, it is never done.
    Hmm. That's not been my experience.Archtop guitar headstocks with straight string pull?-29_03-gear-11-jpg

Here's a G&L. There's a downward tension but not a lateral one. Never had a problem.

Here's a tele. Never had an issue here either.Archtop guitar headstocks with straight string pull?-55379_fender_1968_telecaster_blonde_242188_4_c08a0c1f-23d5-44c0-b148-cbb31f1739ec_821x-progressi-jpg

User Info Menu

As far a 3x3 headstocks, I like the Ibanez Talman's layout. Compared to the Pat Martino, the Talman staggers the tuners a bit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    As far a 3x3 headstocks, I like the Ibanez Talman's layout. Compared to the Pat Martino, the Talman staggers the tuners a bit.

The Talman is an interesting design. I saw one at my favorite store. I went home to think about and discuss it with Mrs k and we decided to get it; but the next week we went back and it was gone. It was in a beautiful Surf Green, too!

User Info Menu

Doh! I should have mentioned our own Soloway guitars.

User Info Menu

My Tony Duggan-Smith "Birdseye" uses a design similar to the Soloway posted just above this post for an "almost straight" pull. I hope this copy/paste works:

User Info Menu

Here's one of mine:

Archtop guitar headstocks with straight string pull?-dsc_0249-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Um, I *think* this is a guitar.
    I think it's a Picasso. About 1910 I reckon.