The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

It’s a keyboard… M-Audio Keystation 49 MK3. $120

This is possibly the best bang for the buck of any musical equipment I’ve purchased. Over 1,000 preset sounds, (I’ve just been using the presets and haven’t messed much with twiddling the knobs).

The keyboard has no sounds built in, rather you plug it into your computer, download software for the sounds. The three softwares I downloaded, that come with the keyboard; 1) Mini Grand (5 pianos), 2) Velvet (a bunch of electric pianos including Fender Rhoades, hundreds of presets), Xpand!2 (about a thousand presets, organs, pianos, basses, strings, etc. etc.).

And it fits on my desk and I just slide it towards my monitor to free up some desk space.

At best, I'm a beginner on the piano. I'll be using this mostly for chord playing for songwriting. The experience of finding chords and progressions is a bit different for me than on guitar and sends me down different paths. I'll also probably use a bunch of other sounds when recording my songs.

I recorded my Garrison Fewell Jazz Improv. for Guitar exercise with the keyboard for a backing track, piano and acoustic bass presets.

Last edited by fep; 06-21-2021 at 01:44 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    It’s a keyboard… M-Audio Keystation 49 MK3. $120

This is possibly the best bang for the buck of any musical equipment I’ve purchased. Over 1,000 preset sounds, (I’ve just been using the presets and haven’t messed much with twiddling the knobs).

The keyboard has no sounds built in, rather you plug it into your computer, download software for the sounds. The three softwares I downloaded, that come with the keyboard; 1) Mini Grand (5 pianos), 2) Velvet (a bunch of electric pianos including Fender Rhoades, hundreds of presets), Xpand!2 (about a thousand presets, organs, pianos, basses, strings, etc. etc.).

And it fits on my desk and I just slide it towards my monitor to free up some desk space.

At best, I'm a beginner on the piano. I'll be using this mostly for chord playing for songwriting. The experience of finding chords and progressions is a bit different for me than on guitar and sends me down different paths. I'll also probably use a bunch of other sounds when recording my songs.

I recorded my Garrison Fewell Jazz Improv. for Guitar exercise with the keyboard for a backing track, piano and acoustic bass presets.

Fep, Fep, Fep, that’s beautiful man! I’m very excited for you. Now, try some jazz voicings on the keyboard. It’s sounding really really good! That’s what I’ve always wanted to do, provide my own rhythm tracks. I can’t wait until you find that Hammond B3 voicing. This is the start of something very fun!!! Keep at it!

User Info Menu

That is a nifty piece of equipment but I have to say the best value ever for musical equipment is Reaper for $60 (even though I nearly went nuts trying to learn how to use it and I still feel like I'm in over my head more often than not.)

That said, if I had room on my desk... (I tell myself I need a bigger desk but I'm coming to realize I need a bigger room.)
    Last edited by MarkRhodes; 06-23-2021 at 11:22 AM.

User Info Menu

Very cool. I might just get one of these!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Fep, Fep, Fep, that’s beautiful man! I’m very excited for you. Now, try some jazz voicings on the keyboard. It’s sounding really really good! That’s what I’ve always wanted to do, provide my own rhythm tracks. I can’t wait until you find that Hammond B3 voicing. This is the start of something very fun!!! Keep at it!
    Yes I'm excited too. And good for my old brain cells also.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    That is a nifty piece of equipment but I have to say the best value ever for musical equipment is Reaper for $60 (even though I nearly went nuts trying to learn how to use it and I still feel like I'm in over my head more often than not.)

That said, if I had room on my desk. (I tell myself I need a bigger desk but I'm coming to realize I need a bigger room...)
    I guess we can call Reaper music equipment and in that case you are right, that is the best bang for the buck of anything I've gotten. Imagine comparing that to a fully equipped music studio in the 1970s... $60 vs a few hundred thousand.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Very cool. I might just get one of these!
    I'm sure you'd put it to good use.

User Info Menu

Vet cool bit of gear. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Just to add, I got the 49 key version, doing the advanced math (that would be counting), that's the same range as a 24 fret guitar... E to E to E to E to E, but on the keyboard it's C to C to C to C to C (a third down from the guitar). I'm a bit on the fence as to whether I'd prefer the 61 key version and get the extra octave. The 49 key version does fit nicely between my desktop monitor speakers. This keyboard comes in 32, 49, 61, 76 and 88 key versions. I should note there are a couple of buttons on the right that shift the keyboard octaves down or octaves up, and you can hold a chord, hit the octave button, and now the next note or chord will be at the new octave.

Here's another Garrison Fewell exercise I just recorded. This time with a Fender Rhodes MK2 with chorus and the Round Wound electric bass.

Last edited by fep; 06-23-2021 at 11:41 AM.

User Info Menu

Very nice fep! Cool keyboard too!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Here's another Garrison Fewell exercise I just recorded. This time with a Fender Rhoades MK2 with chorus and the Round Wound electric bass.
    It's Fender RHODES, not RHOADES. (The latter is how my dad's name was spelled when he entered the Navy but the paymaster misspelled it and dad wanted to cash his checks, so he went with it. I have relatives who still spell it the old way.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    It's Fender RHODES, not RHOADES. (The latter is how my dad's name was spelled when he entered the Navy but the paymaster misspelled it and dad wanted to cash his checks, so he went with it. I have relatives who still spell it the old way.)
    When my Dad joined the Air Force they changed his spelling from Lawrence to Laurence. He kept it - too hard to change. They named my sister Laurayne.

User Info Menu

My keyboard is a Line6 Mobile Keys 49. When Line6 realized they weren’t a keyboard company GC blew ‘em out for $49. Never did learn to play but I use it like a hunt’n’peck typist to enter MIDI.

User Info Menu

It’s nice seeing guitarists having an open mind to keyboards. Welcome to the club!