The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29

User Info Menu

My Kharash classical arrived today from Granada, and I couldn’t be more pleased! Mijail Kharash is a world class builder of flamenco and classical guitars who has learned from some of the legends of the Granada tradition. This one is Canadian Red Cedar and Indian Rosewood with a Brazilian Rosewood headstock face and bridge and ebony fretboard. It projects incredibly well with the type of beautiful, warm tone you would expect from the cedar top. The guitar is incredibly light, perhaps even a bit lighter than my Jose Gonzalez Lopez flamenco negra.

I now have three really spectacular guitars, each made by a single world class luthier’s hand: the new Kharash, the Gonzalez, and the Trenier Model E. I feel very fortunate!

NGD:  Kharash classical-78bea28f-b53b-48bb-8379-8a908334831e-jpgNGD:  Kharash classical-c2aeba28-f8c8-418b-b4cf-b77d3cf2ee51-jpgNGD:  Kharash classical-6741cb23-347c-403d-a4cf-7e7668dfd710-jpgNGD:  Kharash classical-eee3d569-671d-4008-bcab-973f518fcc4b-jpgNGD:  Kharash classical-c3255dec-fbbf-48d7-91ea-a0c9472eacb5-jpgNGD:  Kharash classical-bb475b03-507e-4d28-9570-172779d24926-jpgNGD:  Kharash classical-afd0a5ef-4298-4d1b-8200-1cbbbc742a5f-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M.
    My Kharash classical arrived today from Granada, and I couldn’t be more pleased! Mijail Kharash is a world class builder of flamenco and classical guitars who has learned from some of the legends of the Granada tradition. This one is Canadian Red Cedar and Indian Rosewood with a Brazilian Rosewood headstock face and bridge and ebony fretboard. It projects incredibly well with the type of beautiful, warm tone you would expect from the cedar top. The guitar is incredibly light, perhaps even a bit lighter than my Jose Gonzalez Lopez flamenco negra.

I now have three really spectacular guitars, each made by a single world class luthier’s hand: the new Kharash, the Gonzalez, and the Trenier Model E. I feel very fortunate!

NGD:  Kharash classical-78bea28f-b53b-48bb-8379-8a908334831e-jpgNGD:  Kharash classical-c2aeba28-f8c8-418b-b4cf-b77d3cf2ee51-jpgNGD:  Kharash classical-6741cb23-347c-403d-a4cf-7e7668dfd710-jpgNGD:  Kharash classical-eee3d569-671d-4008-bcab-973f518fcc4b-jpgNGD:  Kharash classical-c3255dec-fbbf-48d7-91ea-a0c9472eacb5-jpgNGD:  Kharash classical-bb475b03-507e-4d28-9570-172779d24926-jpgNGD:  Kharash classical-afd0a5ef-4298-4d1b-8200-1cbbbc742a5f-jpg
    That is very handsome instrument!
    Congratulations, and play it in good health! I

User Info Menu

It’s beautiful Mark! You should be quite pleased. May the Bossa nova begin! Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    It’s beautiful Mark! You should be quite pleased. May the Bossa nova begin! Enjoy!
    Thanks 2B. Also thanks for the international shipping advice. Everything went remarkably smoothly and fast. FedEx pick up the box from Mijail in Granada on Monday and it was delivered to me in WI today. It was held up in Customs but FedEx was so great about getting in cleared that the Customs hold was only a few hours.

User Info Menu

Never heard of him, but if he is accepted by the Granada School his instruments will be superb. They are closer to the old Torres heritage than the Madrid school.

Lucky you, Mark!

User Info Menu

Wow - what wonderful guitars! You’re making me want another classical box. I foolishly sold the only good one I ever had years ago. It was an Aria 559 I bought in 1969 when Matsuoka was a young luthier there making the top two models (559 & 560, as I recall) - it had his initials stamped on the heel block. Nevershouldasoldit ! May you enjoy yours for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Never heard of him, but if he is accepted by the Granada School his instruments will be superb. They are closer to the old Torres heritage than the Madrid school.

Lucky you, Mark!
    Here’s a little bio for Mijail. Anyone who is willing to spend years living in a cave in order to follow their passion has my respect!

https://www.guitarsalon.com/luthier/mijail-kharash/

User Info Menu

Hi and congratulations on your new Grenadian!
    Mijail Kharash was awarded second-prize at the prestigious Antonio Marin Montero Guitar Making Competition held in Granada”
    That is very high praise indeed!
    Now begins the search for the perfect string!

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Hi and congratulations on your new Grenadian!
    Mijail Kharash was awarded second-prize at the prestigious Antonio Marin Montero Guitar Making Competition held in Granada”
    That is very high praise indeed!
    Now begins the search for the perfect string!

It has Knobloch medium tensions on it right now. I like them a lot.

User Info Menu

It's kewl that both a Russian and a Ukrainian each won 2nd place in the Classical and Flamenco competitions.

Here's a Kharash in the hands of a great young player.

It's kewl that both a Russian and a Ukrainian each won 2nd place in the Classical and Flamenco competitions.

Here's a Kharash in the hands of a great young player.

That’s the guitar that really pushed me over the edge. I was really smitten by it. The ziricote is a bit too blingy for me, but the rosette and purfling against that cedar top…oh, man! And, the sound of mine is beyond my previously already high expectations. It sounds like a 20 yr old guitar already. I can’t wait to hear it in 20 yrs!

There are some cool pics on the GSI link about the competition. Here’s one of Antonio Marin third from the right, godfather of the modern Granada School. Behind him, second from the right is Jose Gonzalez Lopez, protege of Marin who builds in Marin’s shop.

NGD:  Kharash classical-c92b4a84-3400-4732-a970-6e23abc1980c-jpeg

Here’s a shot of Marin in the shop with his two protégés- Nephew Jose Plazuela Marin and Jose Gonzalez Lopez:

NGD:  Kharash classical-e440faaa-8fd7-4e34-8677-60fabe852385-jpeg

The Gonzalez flamenco negra in my pictures above is this very one in this video, being played by Alberto Lopez:

This is also a great picture of Mijail, second row center, apparently awaiting the results of the competition:

NGD:  Kharash classical-2d74956e-4354-4492-8e20-d7d4daec9a1e-jpeg

I’m also very taken by Mijail’s flamenco guitars. Here is a blanca that is very similar to his second place guitar from the Marin competition:

NGD:  Kharash classical-e2ebd80c-4b13-4699-a2f3-afed900db1a5-jpegNGD:  Kharash classical-20875c37-0ce3-4f96-807f-e36235e424b0-jpegNGD:  Kharash classical-03d091bd-7b4a-4eda-9f5c-a45381f569df-jpegNGD:  Kharash classical-d2165718-f49a-4009-b30d-242e80a61c5f-jpegNGD:  Kharash classical-a3f6fcf9-c2ec-48da-924e-d32d54bfa551-jpeg

Lastly, here’s video of what that blanca sounds like:

User Info Menu

That’s the guitar that really pushed me over the edge. I was really smitten by it. The ziricote is a bit too blingy for me, but the rosette and purfling against that cedar top…oh, man! And, the sound of mine is beyond my previously already high expectations. It sounds like a 20 yr old guitar already. I can’t wait to hear it in 20 yrs!
    LOL! From the perspective of being nearly 62, I'd say don't rush those 20 years. When you get there you wonder "what the hell happened to all that time?" If I make it to 82, I'll be thinking the same about having been 62- like I am thinking today about having been 42!

Seriously, though, congratulation on a wonderful- even enviable- set of guitars! Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    LOL! From the perspective of being nearly 62, I'd say don't rush those 20 years. When you get there you wonder "what the hell happened to all that time?" If I make it to 82, I'll be thinking the same about having been 62- like I am thinking today about having been 42!

Seriously, though, congratulation on a wonderful- even enviable- set of guitars! Enjoy!
    Ha! Yes, I am exactly the same age as you. After I posted that comment I thought “well, maybe I CAN wait.”

User Info Menu

Ha! Yes, I am exactly the same age as you. After I posted that comment I thought “well, maybe I CAN wait.”
    New guitars keep you young. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

That competition was truly something. Your builder barely looks to be in his 50’s. What town is he from Mark?

New guitars keep you young. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

That competition was truly something. Your builder barely looks to be in his 50’s. What town is he from Mark?
    I think the bio said Mijail was born in ‘81, so he would be around 40. His shop is in Dilar, which is just outside Granada.

Here’s an interesting lineage of Granada’s guitarristas:

https://sixstringjournal.files.wordp...owchartleo.pdf

User Info Menu

I think the bio said Mijail was born in ‘81, so he would be around 40. His shop is in Dilar, which is just outside Granada.
    Aha, to the south. Alhambra is near Granada too. They build some fine guitars there too, but more commercial than what Mijail does.

Aha, to the south. Alhambra is near Granada too. They build some fine guitars there too, but more commercial than what Mijail does.
    Yes. Mijail has a unique wooden label that he glues inside his guitars. I believe it is a drawing of Alhambra:

NGD:  Kharash classical-fc99c765-a9aa-4c34-ac01-7b7a586d3d69-jpeg

Another thing that sets apart the guitars made by these masters from the factory guitars made at Alhambra (as fine as some of them are), is the finish. There is nothing like a thin, hand rubbed, French polished shellac finish. They are delicate ( I have already put some nail marks on my Kharash), but the guitars breathe and resonate so incredibly.

User Info Menu

Congrats on your magnificent Granada guitar. Mighty brave of you to get the BRW past two Customs without CITES permits. I ordered two European BRW guitars. Paid about $300 for both the export and import permits each but the process was painless.

Ziricote, Koa, Tasmanian Blackwood, Makassar Ebony are beautiful decorative wood. I won't try BRW again. Not worth the hassle.

User Info Menu

NGD:  Kharash classical-167517513_1126472627765273_2546596054214039736_n-jpgNGD:  Kharash classical-167663338_1126472604431942_2519652602785791621_n-jpg

Thanks, Jabs. That’s beautiful! Who built it?

User Info Menu

I'm pushing 60 and in the last ten years or so, troubled by neck pain, muscle fatigue and focal dystonia playing classical so I don't play that much. No issues playing electric with a pick. I'm seriously considering on of these new supports that go between the leg and the lower bout of the guitar to rejuvenate my interest in classical.
    Anyone have any comments on these:

NGD:  Kharash classical-guitar-support-comparison-copy-jpg

Yes I have used one that was made in Germany and enjoyed it. I am a lower level nylon string guitarist so my Takamine electric nylon has strap buttons I use these days. For around 50$ I think these devices can be useful.

User Info Menu

For no reason I can ascertain, the Muse led me to return to playing classical guitar a few months ago. She also sent a concert guitar built by Francisco Navarro Garcia my way... I don't ask questions. But, to the point, I've purchased several guitar supports recently including Tenuto Pro, Woodside and Sagework. The GuitarLift, due to it's size, did not appeal to me. My favorites are:

1. Sagework (love the magnet design, small and fits in the case)
    2. Woodside (marginally better position, marginally, but doesn't feel as solid as #1)
    3. Tenuto Pro (I could live with it, but suction cups don't seem to work well on the Navarro)