The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 35

User Info Menu

Loving this guy’s playing. This is how I wish I could play, right now. Not flashy, just tasteful and recognizable. And that beautiful 350 sounds so delicious.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Plus, with the slick backed hair and dark specs, he looks kewl. Loved his playing. You don’t find players playing ballads much. Tis’ a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Plus, with the slick backed hair and dark specs, he looks kewl. Loved his playing. You don’t find players playing ballads much. Tis’ a shame.
    Yep. And he does so great work on all the ballads I’ve heard from him. There are some vids of him playing more of a FG jump style and some blues as well…also very well done. I just really resonate with a properly crafted ballad. To play those, cleanly, is more inspired than most run-heavy acrobatic exercises, IMO.

User Info Menu

He’s got a lot of them!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Esport
    I just really resonate with a properly crafted ballad.
    Hey, there’s two of us!

He’s got a lot of them!

Yep!

Hey, there’s two of us!
    Most of the time, that’s what I wanna hear when listening to jazz guitar: solo ballads. I’ve never been crazy about faster, hard swing/bop stuff. Same goes for piano, which is my primary instrument. I wish there were as many Ted Greene albums as there were Bill Evans records!

User Info Menu

Most of the time, that’s what I wanna hear when listening to jazz guitar: solo ballads. I’ve never been crazy about faster, hard swing/bop stuff. Same goes for piano, which is my primary instrument. I wish there were as many Ted Greene albums as there were Bill Evans records!
    Damn! Piano is my primary instrument too. I know my excuse...how’d you end up here?

Being raised on Dexter Gordon I learned to love ballads. You’ve got to be patient to truly hear ballads. BE knew how to milk a ballad. Heck yeah, what’s your hurry.

Damn! Piano is my primary instrument too. I know my excuse...how’d you end up here?
    Birds of a feather, I guess! I’ve been playing piano for about 35 years. Dad was a hobbyist guitar player who dabbled in jazz, a bit. In the mid 2000’s I bought a Strat to add some guitar parts to some songs I was working on and sort of fumbled my way around learning to play by ear. Before long I started investigating guitar tone more in depth. Bought a used AF-75 and then the hollow body bug hit me. Now, it’s been game on ever since!

User Info Menu

Birds of a feather, I guess! I’ve been playing piano for about 35 years. Dad was a hobbyist guitar player who dabbled in jazz, a bit. In the mid 2000’s I bought a Strat to add some guitar parts to some songs I was working on and sort of fumbled my way around learning to play by ear. Before long I started investigating guitar tone more in depth. Bought a used AF-75 and then the hollow body bug hit me. Now, it’s been game on ever since!
    Great! I enjoy hearing the musical histories of others. I came to piano in 1991 from Flugelhorn. As a teen Freddie Hubbard was my favorite. First Light came out in 1971. Those were the days. Fact is I wanted to learn piano as a kid but there was no piano or lessons in store. I started playing horn in jr high in ‘66. I began piano at 33. At the same time I bought a ES175CC for $1200. My used Yamaha C3 was $12k. I’ve never regretted taking jazz piano lessons for 2 years. Good to meet another piano player in the house.

Great! I enjoy hearing the musical histories of others. I came to piano in 1991 from Flugelhorn. As a teen Freddie Hubbard was my favorite. First Light came out in 1971. Those were the days. Fact is I wanted to learn piano as a kid but there was no piano or lessons in store. I started playing horn in jr high in ‘66. I began piano at 33. At the same time I bought a ES175CC for $1200. My used Yamaha C3 was $12k. I’ve never regretted taking jazz piano lessons for 2 years. Good to meet another piano player in the house.
    Likewise, man. I think Freddie Hubbard might be the only flugelhorn player I’m aware of! I took lessons as a kid but butted heads with my teacher because I would instinctively substitute chords and change progressions on songs she’d assign. Didn’t sit well with her and I liked my ideas better. At 14 I met a guy who worked at a piano store who was demoing a Hammond for a potential buyer. He was playing Sunny and just killed it. I got up the nerve to ask if he gave lessons. He said “No, but what players do you like?”. I said Oscar, Bill Evans, George Shearing and Chick Corea. He asked me to play something and I plunked out what I knew of Guaraldi’s The Great Pumpkin Waltz. Afterwards he said “Come by on Saturdays around 1. I’ll show you some stuff.” The next weekend he showed me Satin Doll and what a ll V l was. Learned more in three 30 min weekends with that dude than I did in six years with the traditional teacher.

User Info Menu

What’s the closest thing to a 350T these days, apart from the 10,000 USD Chuck Berry model?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    What’s the closest thing to a 350T these days, apart from the 10,000 USD Chuck Berry model?
    Not a thin line but these have been on my radar for awhile as a nice 350 alternative.

Archtop tribute ATC350BK NEW Early '50s Burst / Hard Case / | Reverb

User Info Menu

Hmm. That does look good.

All reviews seem to indicate a very high level of quality, too. There was a 150CC model that was available,locally, last year that I tried to make a deal on. Looked very good.

User Info Menu

There’s a 1956 350T at the 12th Fret for approx US5K

Gibson ES350T Short Scale Archtop Sunburst, 1956 | www.12fret.com

User Info Menu

^^ short scale solid spruce top ES-350 T - I wonder, what else is out there, made by Gibson.

I love them all.

the regular ES-350 for me please.

Quote Originally Posted by Filmosound 621
    ^^ short scale solid spruce top ES-350 T - I wonder, what else is out there, made by Gibson.

I love them all.

the regular ES-350 for me please.

A vintage burst ES-350 is my dream guitar. As much as I’d love to have a Wesmo and/or Tal, there’s just a spot in my soul that wants a 350. Sadly, they’re only gonna go up as I get older. Probably will have to just lock that dream away with my hopes of one day having a Porsche GT3 RS and an Aston Martin DB5. But hey…at least I married out of my league. Made out great on THAT deal!

User Info Menu

You need his clothing for that sound. listen below on his YT

Shirt & Trousers : Mover Garments@mover_garmentsGlasses : ????@hakusan_megane_jpBoots : J.M. Weston@jmwestonofficial

My wife said i look with no clothes, sadly she is blind.

User Info Menu

I see that his guitar is a two-pickup configuration with three "chicken head" knobs. Any idea how this is wired?

Cheers

TLB

User Info Menu

my guess: one volume per pick-up, one tone knob for both.

quite useable configuration.

User Info Menu

Gretsch 5420t with p-90s will get you pretty close, and under $1000; very well-made. Even the Filtertron models work well for old-school swing, jump blues and ballads; I just grabbed a pre-owned lightly-used black one with gold hardware: very sharp and very expressive. $650. Quite unbeatable.

User Info Menu

Hirofumi Asaba’s ES-350-onebone-png
    Again, from Japan: King Snake One Bone
    They have two and three pickups versions which they call Two Bone and Three Bone, respectively.

I've been keeping my eyes on this as I was really impressed with their Smith model, which is an ES-330 tribute model.

Oh, and they make thin body Bone models as well.

User Info Menu

These are getting around!

There is a man in Berkley,Ca. who owns Fat Dog Music Store. He is somewhat eccentric but he has guitars made in Korea that are very similar to these old Gibson 350 type guitars. I bought one at a guitar show used for 400$. They sell new at his store for about 700$. Mine had 3 P-90s similar to Lowell Fulsom an old blues guy and it was an excellent guitar for the money!!! A lot better than 14000$ for a vintage one for me. Just look up FAT DOG MUSIC on the internet and check em out! You can probably buy one and return it if you dont like it.If you can convince him you are a serious player you will most likely get a better deal. The quality is quite good for the money.