The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Surfing around Craigslist and came across this interesting 1938 Gibson L-5 (natural). Looking at the pics things look good until the back shot showing a crack along the entire back. I imagine these things can be addressed, though are there any long term issues? Do repaired cracks like this or the larger cracks (repaired) on the tops of archtop guitars affect the sound or merely cosmetic?

The pricing is well beyond my budget, but seeing the pics and those of others on Reverb etc with large cracks prompted the question.

Also, seems to be an odd change in coloration around the bridge area... hmmm.

Vintage Beautiful 1938 Gibson L-5 Acoustic Guitar w/ DeArmond Mod....

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Doesn’t effect the sound as long as the repair was done correctly. Cleat repairs are common on guitars 60 years younger.

But imo, it does effect value. I sold a ‘73 Super 400 that took a small hit offering it for sale. The top had been cleated in two locations but the repair was professionally completed.

User Info Menu

Absolutely gorgeous guitar. Looks like most are finish checks. Everything can be addressed

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

" Guitar has minor marks/scratches from use over the years"

well, ok then....

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    " Guitar has minor marks/scratches from use over the years"

well, ok then....
    yah, there is definitely some optimistic marketing language in the ad.

The discoloring or different finish wear in the shape of a triangle around the bridge is also unusual.

User Info Menu

I had a 1935 L-50 with a back crack like that which was repaired, and my L7 has a cleated top crack. Neither bother me and both sound great. Actually, the cracks are part of the reason that I could probably afford them, as the L7 likely would have been priced out of my budget with out it.

Those unfortunate cracks in archtops... cosmetic or trouble?-1bf75778-0586-4568-9198-0b297971ae5e-jpg