The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Deleted
    Last edited by jjang1993; 11-10-2022 at 06:57 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice play as well as sound JJ. Where are you based, and where did you buy the toob?

User Info Menu

You might be surprised how good the cheap ($40-ish) Joyo American Sound pedal sounds in front of that that MicroBlock 45. Warms it up a bit and adds a versatile and subtle EQ.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    You might be surprised how good the cheap ($40-ish) Joyo American Sound pedal sounds in front of that that MicroBlock 45. Warms it up a bit and adds a versatile and subtle EQ.
    I have that Joyo pedal (and their "Extreme Metal") and just got the US version SuperBlock...I'll have to try these...whohoo!

User Info Menu

I just got the U.S Superblock last week and used it in the studio as a DI - it worked very nicely indeed - sat in the mix beautifully. The 12s from Toob arrived on Friday and I tried two different speakers I had on hand with the Quilter superblock. A lil Texas 12' and a 10' Jensen Tornado. I was using my handmade Octigan archtop.

The Eminence was ok but not as smooth as I thought a 12 should be across the dynamic range - I was surprised at how gnarly it was actually. It may work better with a different amp/cab setup.
    Markku had sent me an adaptor for the 10' so I tried the Jensen which sounded very sweet, and now I've I got a nice combo with the Quilter and Toob - the whole thing weighs about 5kg's - sounds a little bit Princetonesque!

The Superblock is pretty cool - sounds great with the Tornado and also tried it with a 112 DV Mark cab - which has a Celestion Creamback neo in it. Theres enough headroom for a small gig with drums - but if it gets loud then it can also be used a preamp as it runs in two power modes.

Btw those simple Joyo pedals do a pretty good job especially the Sweet Baby - but I rather think they work best going into tubes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffH
    I just got the U.S Superblock last week and used it in the studio as a DI - it worked very nicely indeed - sat in the mix beautifully. The 12s from Toob arrived on Friday and I tried two different speakers I had on hand with the Quilter superblock. A lil Texas 12' and a 10' Jensen Tornado. I was using my handmade Octigan archtop.

The Eminence was ok but not as smooth as I thought a 12 should be across the dynamic range - I was surprised at how gnarly it was actually. It may work better with a different amp/cab setup.
    Markku had sent me an adaptor for the 10' so I tried the Jensen which sounded very sweet, and now I've I got a nice combo with the Quilter and Toob - the whole thing weighs about 5kg's - sounds a little bit Princetonesque!

The Superblock is pretty cool - sounds great with the Tornado and also tried it with a 112 DV Mark cab - which has a Celestion Creamback neo in it. Theres enough headroom for a small gig with drums - but if it gets loud then it can also be used a preamp as it runs in two power modes.

Btw those simple Joyo pedals do a pretty good job especially the Sweet Baby - but I rather think they work best going into tubes.
    so what’s your setup the toob 12” with the superblock US? How does the TOOB 12” compare with DV mark 1x12

i have the Superblock US. Amazing amp and am thinking about getting a Toob 12” cab to go with it

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thisisme
    so what’s your setup the toob 12” with the superblock US? How does the TOOB 12” compare with DV mark 1x12

i have the Superblock US. Amazing amp and am thinking about getting a Toob 12” cab to go with it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    The JAS was my first Joyo. I have since added the UZI (Marshall in a box), the Taurus (Klon Centaur clone), the TaiChi (Dumble emulation). Also a Hot Tubes Nano, but that is EHX.*

* The original plug in (no adapter, just line voltage) Deluxe Memory Man with one output with a 12 decibel boost that I foolishly let go for a massive profit back in the '80s is going for low four figures now. I won't say I wasn't tempted to whip out the Big Card, but sanity prevailed. They've got to reissue it sometime!
    Last edited by citizenk74; 06-23-2021 at 06:49 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74

They are totally different. The DV is deeper and has more air (its the slightly wider DV 112). Its also bigger and heavier than the Toob though still pretty light in the overall scheme of things.
    One thing I noticed about the Toob and Superblock during a rehearsal in a different room with drums yesterday is that the combo sounded totally different on carpet than in my timber floor studio -much more mid range and less tops. It also sounds very different with the AI clarus - in fact that's my favourite combo with the Toob so far but I'm thinking a fuller range speaker like an Alpha 10 or Deltalite (on the way) will match the AI even more.

I listened to the recording using the Superblock just as a preamp/Di today and I found it really natural and dynamic - both myself and the engineer were impressed.

User Info Menu

They are totally different. The DV is deeper and has more air (its the slightly wider DV 112). Its also bigger and heavier than the Toob though still pretty light in the overall scheme of things.
    One thing I noticed about the Toob and Superblock during a rehearsal in a different room with drums yesterday is that the combo sounded totally different on carpet than in my timber floor studio -much more mid range and less tops. It also sounds very different with the AI clarus - in fact that's my favourite combo with the Toob so far but I'm thinking a fuller range speaker like an Alpha 10 or Deltalite (on the way) will match the AI even more.

I listened to the recording using the Superblock just as a preamp/Di today and I found it really natural and dynamic - both myself and the engineer were impressed.
    Thanks for the reply.

yea nice to know. I haven’t had the chance to try the line out yet. I’m sure il love it. Iv used the Joyo American sound preamp pedal straight to a PA and that sounds Amazing. I’m hoping the Superblock will be as good or better.

I over heard someone on a forum say the superblock sounds better on the line out with the 24v power supply as aposed to the 9v. I wouldn’t know but it’s worth sharing that information

User Info Menu

My own experience with SuperBlocks is still thin - both samples in my sons' hands, while I'm building cabs and a cabin - in fact a playhouse to my granddaughters, due to appear tomorrow for Midsummer. But I thought the following might be of interest: Greg Ruggiero from NY sent me a video clip from a dance party gig at the NY Central Park - a seven-piece jazz band with a drummer and several horns. Greg used the SuperBlock US / TOOB 10T combination, powered by a 9 V battery! His solo was perfectly audible. He has gone through all micro amps on the market, using them for up to 30 gigs a month, and says he likes the SuperBlock more and more.

User Info Menu

When you say a bit think. Do you mean not as good as expected

think I will still get a TOOB 12” when I get back to the U.K. regardless. There seems to be a few people with that superblock, TOOB combo that seem pretty happy

yea nice. Presumably the 9v battery was played on the 9v power input of the Superblock?

there’s a cable called Ripcord by MyVolts and they make a cable that can power pedals, busking amps etc… from a powerbank. You have 9v, 12v, 18v, 19v versions and there cheap. I have found they don’t work with every powerbank though (I couldn’t tell you why) in my opinion it seems like a 50/50 chance wether it will work on your powerbank or cut out after a few minutes. The cables probably won’t support anything above 20 watts though in my experience. If I plug my Joyo Bantamp head which is 20 watts (crappy head, doesn’t sound to great) then it cuts out when the volume is cranked to full but on 70% volume it works fine

User Info Menu

Battery boxes for 9V batteries (and AA and AAA, FWIW) are readily available. The battery goes into the box, and a wire out can have a standard connector on the end. I use a rechargeable 9V battery in one to power pedals, works fine, lasts for hours even with multiple pedals, not that I use more than one often. My box came from ebay, and I soldered in the cable end myself, but I think you can get them ready to go.

I haven't seen the cable with multiple voltages, but I have one that takes the 5VDC from a standard phone charger or power bank and boosts it to 9VDC for powering pedals et al. I don't use it often, but it's available in an emergency. Cheap from ebay or Amazon.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thisisme
    Thanks for the reply.

yea nice to know. I haven’t had the chance to try the line out yet. I’m sure il love it. Iv used the Joyo American sound preamp pedal straight to a PA and that sounds Amazing. I’m hoping the Superblock will be as good or better.

I over heard someone on a forum say the superblock sounds better on the line out with the 24v power supply as aposed to the 9v. I wouldn’t know but it’s worth sharing that information
    Thats right - i tried both and the tonal character and gain stage warmed up more in full power. The cab sim works in both low power and full power on the line out - I used it in FRFR mode .Its a really a complete package in that regard.

We are just coming out of another bunch of gig cancelling lockdown restrictions so I havent had a chance to do an actual gig with the Toob yet. I had fun playing it facing straight up yesterday again the Tornado sounded really sweet. Could be a nice way of dealing with a dead room. Its been a week of revelations with the Toob and the Superblock.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Battery boxes for 9V batteries (and AA and AAA, FWIW) are readily available. The battery goes into the box, and a wire out can have a standard connector on the end. I use a rechargeable 9V battery in one to power pedals, works fine, lasts for hours even with multiple pedals, not that I use more than one often. My box came from ebay, and I soldered in the cable end myself, but I think you can get them ready to go.

I haven't seen the cable with multiple voltages, but I have one that takes the 5VDC from a standard phone charger or power bank and boosts it to 9VDC for powering pedals et al. I don't use it often, but it's available in an emergency. Cheap from ebay or Amazon.
    I just picked up a cable from Amazon for a 9 volt battery (for emergencies)...Just the correct fitting pin on one end (tip neg, right size to fit standard 9 volt pedal inputs) and plugs for a nine volt battery on the other, about 18" long, for $3 or so...No box or anything but seems to work fine (not sure how long on 1 battery but I'll bet several hours (standard 9 volts in the US put out 500ma and the SuperBlock nine volt input asks for 300ma)...So If my 9 volt power supply quits or goes missing I can keep on keeping on with a couple of nine volt batteries....Playing mainly at home this amp sounds very nice to me, 9 or 24 volts input. I don't have a toob speaker but all my cabs (some 1x12s and my Randall RG8) and the power input on my Katana 50 1x12 amp sound excellent....cheers

User Info Menu

Yeah its worth pointing out that the Superblock reverts to a 1 watt amp on 9v - it needs the 24v to operate at 25 watts.
    That 1 watt is a tube level 1 watt though IMO!
    The 9v input will accept any standard 9v (2.1mm) PS as long as it supplies 300ma + - but Quilter have a warning in the manual on using anything but the supplied PS for the 24v input.

Still, on a battery - if you have monitoring, its a fully fledged DI with full eq and level control - and cab sim!
    Last edited by GeoffH; 06-24-2021 at 11:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Now that I think about it, the box came prewired, but center positive, so I had to unsolder and reverse the wires.