The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

The important bits, it sounds great! And it plays really well. From what I've heard from conversation on here it's a more thin C style shape neck that they make and I think it's a perfect fit for my hand. Beautiful antique sunburst and flamed laminate top and back with solid sides from what I've heard.

Question:
    The label lists it as an H-550 and I got it at a really fantastically low price, looks like the headstock has been refinished and also replaced or repaired as I can see a line with a scarf joint but the 3 piece construction of the neck still continues past the new scarf joint so I'm guessing it was a factory repair unless a repairman went through that trouble. Does it seem like a factory repair, why not reapply a serial number?

It looks like the finish sort of wore through as well or didn't set completely as when I was using Virtuoso cleaner it wore off some of the stain but then set in once I used the Virtuoso polish. The binding that I've seen on most H-550's has been replaced or finished over. Looks like they moved the selector switch as well to the upper bout and looking inside the pickup is connected with an RCA push on jack, may replace that as it sounds great but touching the neck pickup there's a loud grounding noise.

Serial number was removed from the refinish on the headstock so not sure how much I can gather based on when it was made and etc. : /

NGD! This Heritage Guitar, Have a question-img_8383-jpg

NGD! This Heritage Guitar, Have a question-img_8371-jpg

NGD! This Heritage Guitar, Have a question-img_8378-jpg

NGD! This Heritage Guitar, Have a question-img_8373-jpg

NGD! This Heritage Guitar, Have a question-img_8375-jpg

NGD! This Heritage Guitar, Have a question-img_8380-jpg

NGD! This Heritage Guitar, Have a question-img_8381-jpg

NGD! This Heritage Guitar, Have a question-img_8382-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I very much doubt the factory repaired that. The only thing I've seen them do is reneck guitars if they couldn't repair the headstock. I don't even recall seeing a headstock repair by them.

That should be an excellent guitar though. I've owned two H-550s over the years. They were well made and good sounding.

User Info Menu

That definitely is a repaired headstock break and refin as well as a complete headstock replacement. You are correct about the relocation of the 3-way switch.

H-550's have black 'stingers' on the rear of the headstock, and all Heritages have a stamped serial number at the top rear. Those are both absent on yours. A serial number would have indicated the production month and year.

Also, the headstock face would have been fully bound, include the more deluxe/upscale pearl-inlayed "The Heritage". There would also be a diagonal diamond shape inlay below the name. The headstock on your guitar appears to be a more recent one (2000's?) that looks like it came from an unbound H-150 or H-575. From the photo I can't tell if it is wide enough to be from a 575. Heritage used at least one of three sized headstocks for their guitars. The archtop models had the largest, whether bound or unbound.

Were you able to get any information about its history?

As long as you believe you got it for a great price and it plays great, not much else matters.

For reference, here is a photo listing of another H-550 from Archtop.com. They do a great job showing all aspects of guitars, so this might help give perspective on what yours might have looked like.

2008 Heritage H-550

User Info Menu

Definitely not a factory repair. I don’t see a scarf joint. Did 550’s come with scarf joints? Something tells me no.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Definitely not a factory repair. I don’t see a scarf joint. Did 550’s come with scarf joints? Something tells me no.
    Heritage didn't do scarf joints to my knowledge. I've seen Aaron Cowles and Pete Moreno do Heritage renecks.

There's a story behind this repair that we don't know. But I still bet it's a very good instrument.

The headstock does look like a H-575 transplant.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    That definitely is a repaired headstock break and refin as well as a complete headstock replacement. You are correct about the relocation of the 3-way switch.

H-550's have black 'stingers' on the rear of the headstock, and all Heritages have a stamped serial number at the top rear. Those are both absent on yours. A serial number would have indicated the production month and year.

Also, the headstock face would have been fully bound, include the more deluxe/upscale pearl-inlayed "The Heritage". There would also be a diagonal diamond shape inlay below the name. The headstock on your guitar appears to be a more recent one (2000's?) that looks like it came from an unbound H-150 or H-575. From the photo I can't tell if it is wide enough to be from a 575. Heritage used at least one of three sized headstocks for their guitars. The archtop models had the largest, whether bound or unbound.

Were you able to get any information about its history?

As long as you believe you got it for a great price and it plays great, not much else matters.

For reference, here is a photo listing of another H-550 from Archtop.com. They do a great job showing all aspects of guitars, so this might help give perspective on what yours might have looked like.

2008 Heritage H-550
    Yeah it does play great and it sounds great through my Lee Jackson modified Fender Concert tube amp. I couldn't be any happier about it. Everything seems very solid on it and it is definitely more feedback resistant than the Epiphone 175 Premium I own.

I got it down to $1,200 calling a Guitar Center that had it used and it came with it's case I had it shipped over so wasn't able to get any info on it's provenance. It definitely was well played and loved in it's previous life. Owing to the switch placement that someone obviously preferred.

It had roundwounds on it when I purchased it. The wiring has definitely been changed(RCA jack connector)and I believe the pickups as I see the sort of braided metal wire common on vintage style Gibson and Gibson style pickups. The bridge is a different locking roller aftermarket and I have a Schaller roller bridge I could replace it with but this one works well for now and the locking mechanism really solidifies it in place.

From what I've seen a lot of the very early 90's to later 90's H-550's have the tailpiece with the wood insert on the top and also the black knobs(some models were ordered and have gold hardware and some with chrome):
    Heritage H 550 1990 Sunburst Guitar For Sale Vintage Guitar Oldenburg
    Shelton's Guitars
    Heritage H550 1996

Headstock:
    Looking at the headstock again and comparing it definitely is not as large lengthwise as the other ones seen online as there's more space above the "The Heritage" script on those and that custom inlay on the headstock so it looks like it's from another heritage model with a slightly smaller headstock profile. All the other specs the ebony fretboard and the inlays and the dimensions and the construction and label indicate an H550.

I included three photos of the headstock width at two points if helpful. Also another photo of the scarf joint repair where I circled it in red for 2bornnot2bop as the last photo. Again there's no break in the line and the kind of flame is similar pattern in the headstock as to the rest of the neck(they are obviously two different pieces of wood as the grain isn't continued just the wave of the pattern was kept consistent in wood stock choice)

Who else other than Heritage employee would have a spare different model Heritage headstock lying around? Why not change the shape to Gibson style!? I jest. And also continue with the same 3 piece style of laminate construction, thin color strip in the middle. The logo looks factory, thanks for the suggestion Gitfiddler and Marty Grass, looking online it's most similar to an unbound H-575 headstock.

At the price I got it for and with it's sound and playability it becomes my new fave guitar so not really interested in it being stock or mint. Thanks for any insights offered folks!

NGD! This Heritage Guitar, Have a question-img_8384-jpg

NGD! This Heritage Guitar, Have a question-img_8385-jpg

NGD! This Heritage Guitar, Have a question-img_8388-jpg

NGD! This Heritage Guitar, Have a question-img_8389-jpg

User Info Menu

I predict that this guitar will serve you well for as long as you'll have it. After a guitar puts on a few miles and gets a few bumps, it's more comfortable.

User Info Menu

Play it like you stole it!

User Info Menu

It's a beautiful instrument that has had some ups and downs. In its current state, it should give you a lifetime of faithful service. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Outstanding!

User Info Menu

Great acquisition. They are supposed to be pretty feedback resistant (if you need that).