The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

This just drives me nuts. Why doesn't Gib call it Viceroy Burst? I've always been just horribly pedantic about that naming.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    This just drives me nuts. Why doesn't Gib call it Viceroy Burst? I've always been just horribly pedantic about that naming.
    If you're going to be pedantic about it, why "viceroy"? I mean is it meant to look like the the proxy ruler of a colony? Or they trying to make some point about mimicry in the butterfly world?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    If you're going to be pedantic about it, why "viceroy"? I mean is it meant to look like the the proxy ruler of a colony? Or they trying to make some point about mimicry in the butterfly world?
    …or the color of nicotine stains from Viceroy cigarettes?

User Info Menu

I was told by a former repairman at Gryphon that he knew Tal very well. He told me that the color was described to Gibson from Tal as a smoked Viceroy cigarette butt. I cannot back this fact up as true but that is the color.
    I do know heavy smoking did contribute to Tal’s demise.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.

User Info Menu

Vinny quite true, esophageal cancer. By the time I met him he was coffee and no cigs. But could we ever go through Diet Coke. Very effective at 1AM)
    it’s funny but looking back on all my time with him I never thought to ask about the color origin. I do recall him always referring to his regular guitar (no 2 prototype) as ‘it used to be sunburst’. I have a whole list of ‘never thought to asks’.
    Last edited by jazzkritter; 06-15-2021 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Ipad pre type got me

User Info Menu

Hell, why call it brown? Viceroy Amber has a nicer ring anyway.

But it's a *burst*.

User Info Menu

When I bought my VB Tal Gibson charged a $600 up charge over regular VSB.
    The Gibson TF was their only model that offered that color.
    Just like Gibson’s up charge for blonde.
    They do use spectacularly good flame on the VB Tal.
    I hope to see it back in production some day.

User Info Menu

It is well known now that guitar manufacturers borrowed their paints from the auto industry with their typical names. Fender's famous Fiesta Red was one of the paint choices for Ford TBirds in the 50s
    Fender Custom Colors in the 1960s | Vintage Guitar(R) magazine
    Gibson followed the trend using Pelham Blue from Cadillac or Cardinal Red from Oldsmobile , for instance.
    Gibson Custom Colors in the 1960s | Vintage Guitar(R) magazine
    All those paints were used in solid colors.
    But what about Viceroy Brown? It was also a car paint as this color can be found in Lincoln 50s paint codes (n° 11A)
    https://www.lincolnoldparts.com/pdf/...Body-Parts.pdf
    Now, where does the name Viceroy come from? A butterfly? or the Governor General of India? or anything else, I don't know.

User Info Menu

Agreed , Viceroy Brown is not an appropriate description for the TF
    my first was wine red, the second ,Natural and my current is a VB,
    more like a muted Cherry SB, the TF became increasingly popular in
    more recent years, and a shame it has been discontinued, they were
    great VFM in my opinion.

User Info Menu

This is interesting. Of course its many years later, but heres a new Gibson/ Epiphone release in... you guessed it... Viceroy Brown. You need to scroll down a bit for the color pic. Dont look nothing like my TF VB.

New Epiphone Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess Standard model in Viceroy Brown - gearnews.com