The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

I’ve been searching for a nice blonde 50’s Gibson L5 cutaway for a while.

Came across this; 1957 Gibson L-5C – TR Crandall Guitars

A few things struck me.

- never seen a similar original pick guard on a 50’s l5

- have never seen a 24 fret l5

- it looks a lot newer than a 63/64 year old guitar.

I’m no expert on 50’s l5s, so was wondering if anyone here could shed some light on this guitar.

thanks
    joe

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

it's pretty much what the description says, a custom order 24 fret wide nut L-5 w/an usual but obviously original guard made of variegated/mottled 'head cheese' plastic like what came on pre '64 Super 400's but in an unusual shape.

User Info Menu

Wow, that thing is beautiful. 24 frets...hmmm...wonder why?

Bet the "Ink Spots intro" sounds great on it, though.

User Info Menu

I agree with Mr B, man that thing is beautiful.
    This particular dealer is a well known, reputable dealer particularly in the vintage market.
    Its not out of the question that there was a refinish in that guitars past. And as Wintermoon stated, the neck looks a little wide, particularly near the headstock.
    If you were looking for a beautiful piece, that would fetch a pretty penny now and in the future, that seems like the guitar for you.
    It really is beautiful.
    They have a nice L7 too..
    JD

User Info Menu

The guy that did the side dots obviously had a martini lunch.

User Info Menu

Great looking guitar but I sure don't need the nosebleed frets.

User Info Menu

How could anyone play those nose bleed frets? They'd need fingers as long as ET's!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Great looking guitar but I sure don't need the nosebleed frets.
    awwww come on Deacon. All those frets do is push the useable ones closer to player.
    And give the 3-4 people alive in the world who can play harmonics like Lenny Breu and Ted Greene a frame of reference..
    JD

User Info Menu

Is there a picture of the Ink Spots and this guitar? I did a quick google and didn't see it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    And give the 3-4 people alive in the world who can play harmonics like Lenny Breu and Ted Greene a frame of reference..
    JD
    I don’t know if you are being facetious or not, but that’s actually true.

User Info Menu

There's a nice D'Aquisto New Yorker on that site as well- don't see many of those!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I don’t know if you are being facetious or not, but that’s actually true.
    Not at all. And thanks Woody.

Thanks for the info.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Is there a picture of the Ink Spots and this guitar? I did a quick google and didn't see it.
    I did, too, with no success. Most of the pictures- with Charlie Fuqua- show what appears to be a late 1930s Epiphone. One problem, though, is that there were multiple Ink Spots groups operating under various permutations of the name at different times and sometimes competing.

The pickguard looks like the same material as on Tal Farlow's final prototype TF model; the shape is Epiphone-like.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the thread.
    What can you say, but... that’s one beautiful L-5!
    There are some other nice guitars on that site as well.

User Info Menu

I inquired they’re asking $17,000

User Info Menu

Be careful in dealing with the NYC guitar shops. They can be ruthless. Usually only a 24 hour tryout period...and RETURNS are usually hit with a hefty *RESTOCKING* fee. I would not trust ANY dealer from NYC... period. With them....once you BUY it....you OWN it.

Quote Originally Posted by ipmala
    Be careful in dealing with the NYC guitar shops. They can be ruthless. Usually only a 24 hour tryout period...and RETURNS are usually hit with a hefty *RESTOCKING* fee. I would not trust ANY dealer from NYC... period. With them....once you BUY it....you OWN it.
    I guess you’re right. I sent them a list of questions and they never bothered getting back.

The search continues....