The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

Did anyone see this guitar on Ebay? I just saw it last night, and got into a dogfight bid battle that went down to the last five seconds.
    Some place in Idaho called Cheap Used Goods was selling it, and it started out at $499.00. It finally sold for $1102.00

I contacted Roger about it, thinking it was a phony, but he looked at it, and said it was one of the axes he made in the 70s.
    I did a little research, and I found out he started studying with D'Aquisto in 1980, so this was a pre-D'A Borys, which dampened my enthusiasm somewhat.
    The pictures of it didn't look anything like my Jazz Solid; it didn't look like anything I'd ever seen before. It had a cheap metal bridge, some little depressions on the top, and the owners only had five strings on it, because they didn't know how to put on a guitar string. It had a very grungy look to it.

I figured I'd go about $700 into it, because Roger would have to put a few hundred dollars work into it, but when it shot over 1K, in the last five seconds, I was out. Anybody here get it?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Following with interest

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

There is a thread over in the For Sale subforum about this guitar auction. My comment is that it looks like something that could've been made for Alembic early in the 70s and that I could see it in Jerry Garcia's hands.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Ebay . . . dogfight bid battle that went down to the last five seconds.
    I use a sniper. It's JustSnipe.com

Set a line beyond which you are ready to smile ruefully and walk away. Add cents, put that into the sniper and it submits your bid with eight seconds left.

Yes, the site must know your EBay password. That has never been a problem over 10 years or so, but some day somebody will make it one . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    There is a thread over in the For Sale subforum about this guitar auction. My comment is that it looks like something that could've been made for Alembic early in the 70s and that I could see it in Jerry Garcia's hands.
    Yeah, I gave it a Like in the For Sale Section, now you want me to give it another Like in the Guitars, Amps and gizmos section?
    You know these Likes are very expensive, and I don't think I can afford two Likes for the same post this month..

Who knows where Roger's head was at back in the 70s? He could have been a Deadhead. He's got a great story about Languedocs that had me LOL! He's got a great sense of humor; I asked him if he been vaxxed yet, and he sent me an email that said, "I are." LOL!

User Info Menu

You didn’t “lose” it. Someone simply bid more than you. Happens all the time.

User Info Menu

That's one fugly guitar.

User Info Menu

I think you're probably better off. Its only real attraction is its association with a brilliant builder but it would be like buying study papers by a 12 year old who went on to become a great architect ... It doesn't really reflect the future greatness.

User Info Menu

If you wanted it, what stopped you from bidding an outrageously high price that would've made it yours for sure? You would've one-upped that annoying final winner, it would've pleased the seller and you'd have this very guitar on the way right now.
    Buyer's remorse or bidders' timidity: Good things to know about before you place any bid.
    Good luck next time.
    I'll add my sour grapes consolation for you: Looks like a bad instrument that could've sat in a corner instead of something you really needed. SO there.

User Info Menu

Sounds like the OP did not want it for $1100. I don't understand what sniper is for. Just place a bid just below your walkaway number with 8 seconds to go. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose to another sniper with a higher walkaway number. That's how the eBay game has been played for at least 20 years. Seems completely fair to me.

User Info Menu

There're few things more satisfying than realizing I'd gotten caught up in the frenzy, had overbid and was stuck with a sobering obligation on my hands... then having someone else snipe it in the last seconds.
    THEN finding it for half price from another seller a day later.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nopedals
    Sounds like the OP did not want it for $1100. I don't understand what sniper is for. Just place a bid just below your walkaway number with 8 seconds to go. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose to another sniper with a higher walkaway number. That's how the eBay game has been played for at least 20 years. Seems completely fair to me.
    Sniper software has been around for years. The benefit is that you don't have to hang around your computer at a specific time.

User Info Menu

I use GavelSnipe, and it works fairly well. Give it the URL of the auction and your max bid, and it will start bidding within the last minute, making robobids every split second until there are no more bids or your max bid is topped. No need to manually do anything. I've won and lost auctions this way, many for less than my max bid, some far less. The worst scenario for a buyer, and the best for a seller, is for people to start a bidding war well before the auction ends. As a buyer, the best strategy is to not bid at all until the last second, to keep the price from increasing through inexperienced bidders running it up. Making a bid of your maximum price early in the auction, nor even any bid, is not a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    I think you're probably better off. Its only real attraction is its association with a brilliant builder but it would be like buying study papers by a 12 year old who went on to become a great architect ... It doesn't really reflect the future greatness.
    That's pretty much why I gave up on it at $700.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    That's one fugly guitar.
    I had to translate that term to a person with limited english language skills many years ago. It required sign language.

User Info Menu

Sorry you missed out on the Borys guitar, but there’s always Natasha…

Lost an Ebay auction for a 1970s Borys Solid Body today-2618a03e-7d8f-41df-b948-08293fa2687d-jpeg

User Info Menu

The flipside of fugly...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Yeah, I gave it a Like in the For Sale Section, now you want me to give it another Like in the Guitars, Amps and gizmos section?
    You know these Likes are very expensive, and I don't think I can afford two Likes for the same post this month..

Who knows where Roger's head was at back in the 70s? He could have been a Deadhead. He's got a great story about Languedocs that had me LOL! He's got a great sense of humor; I asked him if he been vaxxed yet, and he sent me an email that said, "I are." LOL!
    I'd love to hear this Languedoc story.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JakePearlman
    I'd love to hear this Languedoc story.